Currently Playing
  • Think I've overdosed on Megadrive games. Made myself switch it off in the end. Started Shining Force 2 then had a quick go on Headdy. Want to play through both again eventually. Still haven't got round to Gunstar Heroes, Beyond Oasis or Landstalker. May also try Phantasy Star 4 eventually.

Over half of this collection is nothing more than historical curio, but there are a dozen or so games that are still genuinely very good (especially with save states and rewind/FF), and it's worth the sale price just for those.
  • What are you calling world 2?

Played smw on SNES mini and that would still
    Be a 10 released today
    The Forum Herald™
  • Doughnut Plains, or something like that. You're going to tell me that's just the first section of World 1, aren't You?

Maybe the amount it gets better, if I carry on, is unbelievable, but I really can't see this would be worth a 10 today so far.
  • AJ wrote:
    You mean they were always like this and I'm remembering wrong? Fair enough. I'm playing using Canoe on a SNES Mini. I'm rubbish with both wired and wireless pads.

Input lag'wise, canoe is pretty good.  Not as good as using Retroarch with its readahead stuff but not something that most people would notice.  The other factors are tv lag and distance from screen (distance probably being the main factor for my rubbishness originally).  Sitting in from of the monitor about the same distance as I would have from a portable crt tv back in the day, and this game seems ok.
  • Oh, there's nothing wrong with anything (TV's on game mode, so adds as little latency as it can) - I'm just rubbish at this kind of game. The game could be performing my inputs before I've thought them* and it wouldn't get anywhere.

I was playing with sticking Retroarch on there, but I think I'll hold out on making a full little retro box until I can get a reasonably good N64 out of something Pi sized. The save state interface on Canoe is too good to sacrifice for a bit less lag, especially considering the amount I'll actually play.

* as it technically could now, I've just found out.
  • Keep the MD chat coming pls Jon, loving it.
  • I wish Sega would add gg/master system/megacd/32X rereleases on that package.
    They should rerelease the whole back catalogue, not just sega ip. There are many more hidden gems in their 8bit/16bit/32x library.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • What 32x games would you recommend Hunk?
    I booted the whole library on my pie but nothing stood out on an initial play, I didn't give anything much time though.
  • The 32X is mostly a curio console of what could have been.
    Some decent ports of sega's arcade titles; Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing come to mind but also some super scaler titles like After Burner and Space Harrier.

Mega CD has a decent port of Final Fight (the cd soundtrack is sublime and worth it over the cps version). There's also Shining force cd and stuff like robo aleste if you like shoot 'em ups.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'm loving super Mario world.
    So good and my skills are all coming back slowly.
    I'm playing the 2 player with my daughter right now and have to keep giving her life's.
    She thinks it's super hard but I played these way back on release and still have memories of secret exits and stuff.

Definitely still a 10.

(unmodded snes mini)

Edit: not a 10 there's severe slowdown in parts.
  • It's hard to argue with this MD collection when there are 50 odd games on it, but as always with these things there are conspicuous omissions that stop it being the best representation of the console it could've been.

Lack of shmups is an obvious one, with only Biohazard Battle making it, as it was very strong in that area. Surprised that there are no Thunderforce games at least. And yet Galaxy Force, Thunderblade and Space Harrier are all there, despite being fairly poor versions.

No racing games either, which isn't necessarily a loss seeing as they don't tend to age well, but Super Monaco GP and Super Hang On were big games at the time.

Some of this is probably due to licensing issues of course, which is always going to limit these collections.
  • Before The Storm

Only started it and already getting the feels just reading the journal and stuff with lovely music in background.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Portal 2 is even better than I remember it. Nothing feels as special as that first Portal 1 play through as it just had that once-in-a-gen uniqueness. Perfect, really. 

Portal 2 has to contend with unoriginality but it's still glorious. Reading the supplied comic (in the extras) first is recommended. The writing is once again excellent. Better, maybe. The puzzles aren't as pure as the first but they explore the mechanic fully and the inclusion of gels is out of necessity to make something new. 

Now my PC can handle the maxed out settings it's still a beautiful game. Most of all I love the atmosphere. It reminds me of Metroid Prime in all the right ways and Merchant only reinforces the isolation when he's not there. You and Her works so well. You and Him slightly less, and you and New Him even less, but the humour carries it through. I reckon both games are in my top 10 ever. 

I find it hard to believe Valve's VR game trilogy doesn't include Portal.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve never done the MP in Portal 2. I’d be up for it at some point if I can find a partner.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    * waves *
  • I played it split screen and it was one of the best co-op experiences ever.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Does split screen work on Bone?
  • From the 360 disc? Don't see why not. Not sure if it ever worked that way online if that's what you mean. I guess maybe it did so you could see each other's screen.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve got the 360 version digitally plus my brother to entertain today. Might be a good shout if so.

(Sorry Muzz).
  • It doesn't do split-screen online. You get marker "pings" to show the other player what you're talking about.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    * weeps *
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve never done the MP in Portal 2. I’d be up for it at some point if I can find a partner.

Me! Me!
  • Darn it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    * weeps *

Me! Me!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    * waves *
  • Cool. I'm always free once the boy off bed, so usually after nine or ten. When's good for you?
  • So, finished Advance Wars with the gb micro last night. Lovely game but then I found another menu option - war room? Holy shit.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela please don’t swear, you’re in the War Room
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    But you only started that the other day?! It's not as big as FE Awakening then? I'm about 25 hours in I think, chapter 17 and loads of side quests to do.

Was afraid to pick up Advance Wars soon after but I've been wanting to play it for a while now. If it's not as time consuming as FE then I might play it sooner rather than later.
  • The campaign in AW is pretty much a tutorial for the last 5 or 6 missions, I think something like 15 hours is more than enough to clock it. 3 of those were spent on the last mission. Story wise it is brief and simple. It is a zero-filler game.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!