Currently Playing
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    What are the challenges like on the Sega collection? Edit: I read something about NES Remix style parameters for playing games in certain ways.
    There are some specific trophies and a bunch of challenges - like complete a stage of SoR with full health. It's a nice touch, just a shame there aren't more.
  • Taking a break from slay the spire. Have beaten the basic bit with all classes.

Started darkest dungeon. Still working out systems, but I dig it's vibe. Even when it's a bastard it does it in the right way.

Continuing with ashen, and last patch made a world of difference to framerate issues.

Bouncing around some other stuff trying to find a little 2d something or puzzler.

Candle is pretty but I'm already stuck.

And I Uninstalled with prejudice a cheap indy puzzler last night who's name I can't even remember. Awful.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Trying lichdom battlemage.

I like the idea. And it's pretty enough. And runs pretty great on my laptop, but the UI designer can fucking do one.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Portal for the first time. It’s good.

Oh you lucky fucker. I'm playing through it again because Steam Link + Switch Pro gyro = win.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • And Portal 2 is a great and substantial sequel.
  • And also a top co-op experience.
  • Yes.
  • I never finished co-op. I must remedy this.
  • Vermintide II - PS4

Loved what I played of this Warhammer themed L4D'er on PC, but without my friends having access to it I just sorta drifted away and waited for a PS4 release.  And it's finally here, woohoo!  The game looks great on PS4 and plays like a dream, the level design is often deeply impressive, it has the best first person melee system I've ever used in a game, and there's a load of depth as to how you wanna play thanks to those fantastic characters, their careers, and the variety of weapons available.  Aye, there's a few small niggles but nothing to harm the overall experience.  

And that experience.  Frantic, grin inducing, and brutal as all fuck.  Whatta game. 

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    And also a top co-op experience.

They've added a level editor and the community has, as always, gone apeshit with content. Valve might not release much but they really look after the games they've made.
  • Is that on consoles too? I think I played that one on PS3.
  • Not sure about consoles. I'm on Steam these days because I can pretend I'm doing serious stuff and play with 20,000 fps.
  • Started City of Brass.

Not sure if it's out of early access yet.

But it's very promising so far. Rogue style fps with whips and swords. Prince of Persia look and lots of spikes and traps.

So far so good.

https://youtu.be/oEJTzXBPNTI
  • You need to add Crate & Crowbar to your podcast list, they were recommending that a few moths ago
  • Oh it's good. Just dabbled a bit more now.

There's lots of silliness and good fun going on.

All the same tricks and synergies are there.

Controls are tight and simple.

Little fiddly with the whip aiming but good enough.
  • 'Tis the season to shinobi.

I have today played through both Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi 3 on the Megadrive Classics collection.

Revenge is an old favourite. Got it with my Megadrive back in 1990 and played it to death. Shinobi 3 came much later and I never got round to it, although have played it some via emulation before now and was aware of its quality.

They are both still great in many ways, mostly in level design, bosses and the variety of environments and scenarios they put you in. 3 really steps up the complexity in some stages, with really intricate layouts and new ways of getting around, but some of the simple ideas in Revenge still just work so well, especially the 2-plane levels.

But damn are they hard. Can't believe I used to repeatedly play through Revenge with relative ease. Towards the end I was doing regular save states and the last boss took me ages to get through. There's some cheap stuff as well, with enemies positioned to hit you as you jump across a gap and knocking you back in. It's all about learning the layouts of course, but hard to imagine how I would've made progress with the regular restart points. And timing those double jumps has always been a killer. Then 3 pushes the platforming stuff a bit too far, given the lack of fine control on the character.

Most of both games are still great to play through using save states though, with a bit of patience. Plus there's that soundtrack.
  • And now Streets of Rage 2. This is still so good and hasn't aged anywhere near as much as most games of the time. Control still feels excellent and the moves connect really satisfyingly (Axel's charging uppercut especially).

Not annoyingly difficult either. I put it on Normal and gave myself 5 lives to start and got all the way to the bit before the final boss room before running out. 1 continue was enough to see it done. A few enemies feel cheap, but there's always a way of dealing with them.

And the music. It's just so good to play along to that.

Really hope they don't fuck up SoR 4 now, because more of this would still be a wonderful thing even today.
  • That's convenient. I was just wondering if there's a decent Streets of Rage on SNES. What's the general opinion?
  • GRAND UPPAH!
    Is that what he says? I could never tell.

Not as bad as Blaze in SoR3 though, who clearly says 'Harry Hill' when she does her charging attack.
  • AJ wrote:
    That's convenient. I was just wondering if there's a decent Streets of Rage on SNES. What's the general opinion?
    Nothing in that league really. You've got your Final Fights, of course. And Turtles in Time is pretty decent.
  • Knights of the Round is decent but yeah, nothing is as good as the Rage trilogy
  • JonB wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    That's convenient. I was just wondering if there's a decent Streets of Rage on SNES. What's the general opinion?
    Nothing in that league really. You've got your Final Fights, of course. And Turtles in Time is pretty decent.

Yeah, got Turtles. Might be worth grabbing a Final Fight if the SOR ports are shit. There a best one?
  • Super Mario World on an emulator.  Played this last in 1992 (or thereabouts) on a PAL Snes.  Swapped the SNES for a US model and lost the game, and not played it since.

Still as fantastic as I remember.
  • I've been playing that too. Still unable to get past world two. It's too hard.
  • It's also not as good as I remember. None of these SNES games are, if I'm honest.
  • You are wrong.

And how are you playing it?  I struggled yesterday playing on steam link on the plasma about 16 feet away from my eyes.  The lag and the distance, and the slippery'ness of Mario made me think it was harder than it was.  Went back to monitor - less lag and clear visibility of the obstacles and it's a lot easier.
  • You mean they were always like this and I'm remembering wrong? Fair enough.

I'm playing using Canoe on a SNES Mini. I'm rubbish with both wired and wireless pads.
  • AJ wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Yeah, got Turtles. Might be worth grabbing a Final Fight if the SOR ports are shit. There a best one?
    3 probably. It's got more to it and is known for being easier to get through. 1 is the arcade game, with the difficulty spikes that come with it, but isn't a particularly good version as it's missing a character and 2-player mode.
  • Well, missing two player mode would make it pointless no matter how good the port is, so three it is. Thanks for the info.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!