Currently Playing
  • Persona 3&5 dancey games - would be so much better on Switch because the PS4 d-pad feels really crap as an input method for rhythm action. Otherwise a decent music game (with good music), if a little shallow overall.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • Facewon wrote:
    Rime is very competent so far. Enjoying it.
    While I’m probably being overly down on this game, I’m genuinely interested in what parts you think are competent.
  • You are being overly down in the game, most of it is competent.
  • SLEdge wrote:
    Persona 3&5 dancey games - would be so much better on Switch because the PS4 d-pad feels really crap as an input method for rhythm action. Otherwise a decent music game (with good music), if a little shallow overall.

I’ve had it in my watch list for ages but isn’t it a bit expendive or am I thinking of some collectors edition?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    SLEdge wrote:
    Persona 3&5 dancey games - would be so much better on Switch because the PS4 d-pad feels really crap as an input method for rhythm action. Otherwise a decent music game (with good music), if a little shallow overall.
    I’ve had it in my watch list for ages but isn’t it a bit expendive or am I thinking of some collectors edition?

It was expensive (special edition), but it's cheaper than buying each game separately, and you also get the digital P4 dance off as a bonus, so depends if you want both (or all 3) or not.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Rime is very competent so far. Enjoying it.
    While I’m probably being overly down on this game, I’m genuinely interested in what parts you think are competent.

I’m genuinely interested in what has caused this reaction to it.
  • Wtf? What are we classing as competent? It’s 100% competent at worst
    The Forum Herald™
  • Up to the third area now.

Everything is pretty lovely. Music is nice.

Graphics are spot on.

Insta respawn makes me forgiving.

Nearly all decisions around signposting and how the platforming works are derived from all the big hitters, and so it all makes sense to me.

Having read about mr's camera issues I can sorta see what he's saying.

Particularly with static or forced camera angles, I think there's 2 ways of doing it. Either up on joystick is always up etc or relative to camera.

Whatever this is doing is the one I'm comfortable with.

But either way, the ledge work uses the best methods, and signposts with body language perfectly.

Cameras been a little annoying in a couple of small areas, but zero game breaking. Agreed it's a little pedantic about where to stand on some button presses though.

I nearly missed the first keyhole picture.

Very enjoyable, and without being an asshole about it, finding it hard to believe someone can have a strong anti reaction to it.

Not because it's the second coming, just doesn't seem to be any issues that glaring to me.

I guess it helps I'm coming off immortal unchained. Uninstalled, with prejudice.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I think it's the first really negative reaction I've seen to Rime. It's usually somewhere between decent and very good. I don't see that it did much wrong in what it set out to do.
  • I thought it was decent.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Particularly with static or forced camera angles, I think there's 2 ways of doing it. Either up on joystick is always up etc or relative to camera.

Or the option which Nintendo clocked onto in the N64 days and most other devs have picked up since: stick always controls relative to camera except when the camera changes at which point the character keeps going in the same direction until the player presses a different one.
  • I had a few camera issues with ladders and climbing but nothing I couldn't forgive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I got bored about 10 minutes in.  "Decent" felt generous at that stage. But I guess I should crack on.
  • Don’t you have another Lines or Colour game to play?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm playing SotTR innit m8
  • Swipe on the Turquoise Rectangles?
  • JonB wrote:
    I think it's the first really negative reaction I've seen to Rime. It's usually somewhere between decent and very good. I don't see that it did much wrong in what it set out to do.

I played Rime on Switch. This forced quite a few negative reactions from me and makes me think the game sits somewhere between manipulative daddy lore shit and disappointing and a bit borked.

• I'd forgotten about the shiteness of the Switch version.
  • What did they do?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Try and squeeze it onto hardware that can't run it.
  • It's been patched to an an acceptable level now, allegedly, so I guess laziness deadlines played a part in its initial state.
  • Good to see I'm in the minority.

The Rime game engine is crap.  Runs poorly on PS4 (normal) - low frame rate and stutters.  Is better on PC as it's (mostly) 60fps but frame time and gpu usage is all over the place.  Considering the game isn't anything special, it doesn't need to be like that.  Reminds me of Gone Home - the game that introduced me to unoptimised Unity crapness.  I accept I have lower tolerances than most people in this area.

I didn't find the game that clearly signposted, linear yes but I managed to get lost at the end of the 2nd or 3rd level (can't remember now) - where you have to go back to the start, and it's the only time the game isn't linear.

I didn't find (ledge) platforming always that intuitive e.g. body movement when jumping off a haging ledge.  Most of the time you press the movement button again and the kid leans out - which is good.  But sometimes that didn't happen and you had to press a different movement button (for no obvious reason) or just jump.

Imagine if this was a proper platformer rather than a half baked - lets add some platforming in to relieve the tedium - effort that it is.

I thought the art style was dull and generic - it just didn't work for me.  Apart from the 4th level which was stunning.  I spent a fair bit of time just watching the rain puddles.

I also thought the ending was a con, and odd references in the levels aside, did not fit with the game.  It's simply there to make people think the game is more than it is.
    Like being kicked in the bollocks for 2 hrs then being given a decent set of beers so you go away with a different view of the 'experience'.

And talking about the game played before, I'd come from finishing (mostly) Hollow Knight and Fallout New Vegas.  Now Hollow Knight is something that I'd call competent.
  • You either have an exceptionally high bar or see the connotations of the term competent differently to most.
  • Or does understand the connotations of the term competent, but doesn't think the game meets the criteria for the reasons stated above.
  • Sorry, I'm forgetting to be clear enough again. I was taking about the comment referring to Hollow Knight at the end.
  • Not that I've played Hollow Knight, so maybe everyone raving about how amazingly great it is are wrong.
  • I think mrsmr2 gave it a 10, so I see your point now.
  • Hollow Knight is very good, even though I haven't given a score anywhere.

But the reason it is competent is that it knows what it wants to be (platformer with exploration in this case), it has a consistent set of controls, the game engine works smoothly, moving around the world (jumping, positioning, etc) is consisent, the rules of the game are consisent.  I don't think Rime has that consistency.

But that's enough on Rime from me.  It's been uninstalled.

Now I'm going back to finish the optional trickier parts of Guacamelee.
  • Did you give Shovel Knight a 10?
  • I would if I gave scores.  That and HK are the recent gems for me although SK is the better game in my view.  And just playing Guaca again, reminded me how good that is as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!