Currently Playing
  • Really annoying that they patched out the ability to auto save on Yakuza 0 on PC but didn’t fix the bugs with cutscenes.
    Just played a great long fighting bit only for it to crash afterwards with no available save points between
    If the game wasn’t so fucking ace I would have given up by now
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I finished the TW2 Vortex Campaign at last, with the High Elves. 200+ turns of madness. Loved it.

Have some screenshots from the best battle of the whole campaign, where over 7000 Skaven tried to take on 2500 High Elves.

vmPP3Tm.jpg
    P937FJr.jpg
    UObjKc6.jpg
    V1q90nI.jpg
    psrF3qi.jpg

It didn't really go well for either side.

NQmlQNX.jpg

But a few years later Tyrion ended up on the beach at the Vortex, and saved the Old World. For now.

WQ7Vz7X.jpg
  • It's really hard to get nice screenshots. I think the best way is to probably go back in after saving a replay, and mess around with the graphic settings a bit.
  • As best as I can tell, Tempy’s had a stroke. I would call for medical attention, but it’s entertaining for now.
  • Pics not showing up?
  • I can see them
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The pics are showing, it’s the text I’m talking about.

(Clearly I have not communicated my friendly ribbing particularly clearly, which is something of an irony.)
  • Tempy wrote:
    over 7000 Skaven tried to take on 2500 High Elves

Those are silly numbers, that would utterly melt my computer.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's actually 8.5k rat boys. Obscene.
  • Rime on PC.

Fuck me this is tedious and pedantic, and plain boring.  Just completed the 2nd world.  Might be appearing in 'just given up on' soon.
  • Heh. I got that up next.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Pro tip - Use mouse fot camera. It’s slow and laggy with controller.
  • Just started, apart from some wierdness around where to stand for holding x options, everything is....fine.
  • Might be me. Just finding no charm in it.
    And things like locked camera (at times) and a camera that rotates itself when you move ( one of my pet hates), and slow running speed, plus pedantic positioning, and strange ledge controls.
  • Conquests of Camelot: The Search For The Grail

This is a Sierra adventure from 1989, just a little more advanced than the first Quest games, not by much.  I had it as a child on our Amstrad PC-20.  It was a game that came on 4 floppy disks (not including the blank disk you'd save your game on) and we could only run it in monochrome with the audio, such as it was, coming through the PC speaker.

It's available on GOG nowadays though and runs just as intended.  Little did I know it had a really funky colour scheme, with lots of magentas and bright yellows, not really what I expect in a knights and castles video game.  I like it!

Never beat the game back in the day.  These quest games were really pedantic and seemed to pride themselves on having dozens of almost unforeseeable ways to give you a game over screen.  Further to that a lot of the input is text based, so if you don't know the right combination of words to use, you are buggered.  Luckily, the GOG version comes with a scanned copy of the guide!  Fantastic stuff.  

Still, I misread a line from the guide near the beginning of the game, and it lets you play about 70% of the game through before it lets you know you've fucked up and can't win without a complete restart.  I swore at my laptop for that.  What a nasty game.  I'm not playing it again for a week or so.

But I will come back, there is something there, more than just wanting to beat a game I couldn't beat 25 years ago.  I love how detailed it is, in that you can type 'look at' or 'ask about' just about anything and you'll get a text box for your trouble.  Merlin narrates the game and he has a dry wit that is pretty entertaining.  I even don't mind the pedantic game over deaths (at least, the ones that end your game instantly instead of letting you think you have a chance of winning for a couple of hours) in a choose-your-own-adventure kind of way.  

There's also some old school piracy protection bits, where you have to read the manual (also available as a pdf on GOG) and hunt for clues like you are a pissweak Indiana Jones type - I kinda like it when you have to go outside of games and try and solve puzzles with real world means.  It's novel at least.

One of those games that's pretty cool to revisit but would probably be bafflingly shit to anyone trying it for the first time in 2018 lol.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    a camera that rotates itself when you move ( one of my pet hates)

For balance, I hate it when a camera doesn't rotate itself when you move. A good camera should rarely have to be touched when you're not specifically looking around.
  • Another Rime pro-tip: play Ico instead.
  • Rime is fine. Nothing amazing but, if you like walking about nicely rendered environments and solving light puzzles, worth playing when you consider the length.
  • Exactly. It does its thing well and doesn't outstay its welcome. Plus the story elements are smartly integrated.
  • AJ wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    a camera that rotates itself when you move ( one of my pet hates)
    For balance, I hate it when a camera doesn't rotate itself when you move. A good camera should rarely have to be touched when you're not specifically looking around.

Why have separate camera control then?

Auto cameras are from the days when we didn't have a second stick.  And they deliberately obstruct exploration and looking around while you are moving.
  • You completely misunderstand how a modern auto camera works. They don't prevent you looking around when moving, but they do keep the important things in view while you're doing things that require buttons and can't look after the camera. Spider-Man, for example, has a really good one and would be practically unplayable without.
  • Darkest Dungeon: I'm not convinced by this yet and have played about 5 hours. It's just very repetitive so far, and the random factor doesn't so much force you to adapt as outright determine whether things go wrong or not. I might give it more time, but it's not really drawing me back atm.

Iconoclasts: Just started today. I always like the look of this because of those SNES style graphics and it does have that feel just right. Reminiscent of certain Konami stuff in particular. The actual game is decent but not outstanding so far. An easy and pleasant enough thing to play through, but hopefully it gets more interesting as it goes on.
  • Mutant Year Zero

Really enjoying this so far. Seems almost X-Com light and the mix of free roam exploration with tactical grid combat works very nicely.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Mutant Year Zero Really enjoying this so far. Seems almost X-Com light and the mix of free roam exploration with tactical grid combat works very nicely.
    Really fancied that - keep us updated on your thoughts please
    Is it a graphics heavy game ie does it seem like you could play it on a older laptop?

• Mutant Year Zero Really enjoying this so far. Seems almost X-Com light and the mix of free roam exploration with tactical grid combat works very nicely.
    Really fancied that - keep us updated on your thoughts please
    Is it a graphics heavy game ie does it seem like you could play it on a older laptop?

Nope, it is not the fanciest looking game ever made, very simple graphics but it looks decent enough, can’t imagine it would require particularly high specs but I’m not an expert.

The world and the theme is very cliched but the gameplay has been great. The ability to perform a stealth ambush before fights is pretty cool. Especially when you split up and flank the enemies, launch a stealth attack with one and then go loud with the other whilst all the enemies are confused.

Plus I found a cool hat for the duck.

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Duck hats. What more does a game need?
  • Rime is very competent so far. Enjoying it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Rime is very competent so far. Enjoying it.

Pro tip. Enjoy it, it’s a masterpiece
    The Forum Herald™
    Really fancied that - keep us updated on your thoughts please Is it a graphics heavy game ie does it seem like you could play it on a older laptop?
    Nope, it is not the fanciest looking game ever made, very simple graphics but it looks decent enough, can’t imagine it would require particularly high specs but I’m not an expert. The world and the theme is very cliched but the gameplay has been great. The ability to perform a stealth ambush before fights is pretty cool. Especially when you split up and flank the enemies, launch a stealth attack with one and then go loud with the other whilst all the enemies are confused. Plus I found a cool hat for the duck.
    Cheers 
    I love invisible inc and XCOM so defo on my wish list

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!