Currently Playing
  • There’s some good ones, aye, but each one comes with caveats, so it’s best to be honest going in.

Neverwinter nights - these games are fun, but story light. They’re more old-school in their DnD sensibilities, and also suffer a bit from both base games being a bit undercooked. There’s some good expansions that are a lot of fun, but if you’re expecting the story and mechanical freedom of Divinity, then you’ll be disappointed.

Planescape Torment - great game, fantastic dialogue, very story heavy. However, like games of that era it’s based on the D&D 3.5 rule set (I think) which is dense, confusing and utterly impenetrable for someone who doesn’t know their historical D&D mechanics...time has not been kind. However, planescape puts combat into the back seat and there’s some incredible characters. So, if its the story you’re looking for, Planescape is one of the best. Be warned, though, it’s very...unguided and the first few hours can be a bit confusing and frustrating. Also, the conversations and text boxes are loooooong. I love it, but you should know what you’re getting in to.

Pillars of Eternity is good (as is the sequel). Mechanically less confusing than the old infinity engine games (for modern players) however it’s been accused of being overly earnest, po-faced and dry (which is true, tbh). I really like Pillars of Eternity but it absolutely doesn’t have a sense of humour. It’s dialogue and combat heavy, and some quests do have multiple solutions, but there’s nothing as free form as Divinity’s teleportation.

That’s the problem - I don’t know many games that give as much mechanical freedom as Divinity, so I’m reluctant to say “get game X next” if that’s what you’re looking for.

But, if it’s the story and dialogue choices you like - Planescape followed by Pillars.

Another very left field choice is Battlechasers. It’s a western RPG done with turn-based JRPG combat. Story wise it’s far more limited than the above games and there’s few areas to actively explore. Also, random battles, but it has a deceptively good combat system and it’s quite short so it’s not a huge commitment. I wouldn’t say you have to try it, but if you see it at a good price it might be worth a punt.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.
  • @Minnesänger - any other RPG's you can recommend after this?
    Pillars of Eternity? Neverwinter Nights? Planescape: Torment?

The above is a reply to this. Bloody page turns.
  • And excellent reply it was too
    I can only play on switch and many of the old d&ds are coming out over the next few months.
    Would like to play the first dos but it’s unlikely to come out on switch
    Pillars of Eternity sounds like the best option, will watch it in the sales.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Cool.

Let me know how you get on - i'd love to know how you feel about PoE and any other games you may try. Original Sin 2 is the peak of the genre, imo, but there's still some real quality if you can look past some flaws.
  • I loved what I played of PoE, until I inexplicably stopped playing in the winter area which I believe is quite near the end?

I bounced right off DoS1. Keep meaning to go back, but it started off a bit turgid.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Some more hollow Knight. I'm now in a bit where I can't get the may yet and I can't remember where to go and it's all kinds of glorious. Trying to save up for the night early doors so scared I'm gonna lose all my cash...

If the sequel it's anything like as good I'm gonna be delighted
  • It’s really not doing it for me as much as last time. Early hours are too brutal
  • Heh, started recore again. Kudos to gamepass/ms that my save from bone was still there on PC.

I started again anyway, as it was a 2016 save. I'd forgotten why I'd stopped, tbh, and it was trying to work out how the tug of war mechanic worked. Couldn't suss it last time, but worked it out this time. Beat first boss and now into game proper. 

Laptop can run it on basically all fullspec, so framerate and purdies are actually really nice. 

Kudos to it that there's next to no preamble too. You're just moving and doing stuff pretty well immediately. 

Assuming it's not overlong, it'll be a nice little 3rd person diversion, I hope.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Oh Hello Bloodstained appearing on gamepass!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It’s really not doing it for me as much as last time. Early hours are too brutal

Git gud m8.

Interested which bits have been brutal, I think I've gone the "right" way so it's kinda been fine - a couple of silly deaths but the only really hard but has been the two armadillo dudes who face each other. I'm down in jellyfish/bubble land now though so that may be about to change ..
  • Pleased to report that Sayonara Wild Hearts is absolutely delightful so far. Its a Blade Runner meets Chvrches meets Ouendan fever dream of a game. Bravo.
  • I’m at City of Tears now, just best Dung Defender End of Greenpath and Fungal Wastes just have some bench placement and challenges with potential for multiple health loss before you’ve made a dent that are just a bit miserly. Now i’ve got the wall jump and dash at least movement is enjoyable again.
  • Pleased to report that Sayonara Wild Hearts is absolutely delightful so far. Its a Blade Runner meets Chvrches meets Ouendan fever dream of a game. Bravo.
    I think I'll have to get this. From what I've read, it seems like it's best played in a single session, and it's only an hour and a bit.
  • I’m a bit in the weeds with hollow knight. I didn’t really know where to go and managed to keep unlocking progressively harder areas. Then got stuck miles from safety and ended up losing four and a half grand of geo trying to make my way back. Took a big effort to pull myself back from that one.

It takes way too long to dole out some of its upgrades imo. Extra notch slots are like hens teeth. It’s still majestic and I’m loving it at times but it’s balanced to close to the dark souls, unforgiving end of the spectrum for my tastes.
  • I thought Sayonara Wild Hearts was next week.  I'd better get a move on with Creature in the Well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I’m at City of Tears now, just best Dung Defender End of Greenpath and Fungal Wastes just have some bench placement and challenges with potential for multiple health loss before you’ve made a dent that are just a bit miserly. Now i’ve got the wall jump and dash at least movement is enjoyable again.

Yeah ok you're ahead of me, and yeah those problems do resonate. I need me a wall jump...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought Sayonara Wild Hearts was next week.  I'd better get a move on with Creature in the Well.
    You'll be fine. Probably only about another 30 hours to go.
  • I got Sayonara on PS4. It was a bit cheaper and seems like one to play on TV with headphones anyway.

The Goose can wait for now.
  • From Nintendo Life:

Sayonara Wild Hearts is the video game equivalent of Prince: it’s extremely short and its journey maybe ends a little sooner than you’d hoped, but it packs so many varied and beautiful ideas into its brief life and masters so many different styles that even though there’s a real disappointment it’s over so quickly, what it did give you will remain with you for an extremely long time..
  • I've played through it, and it was just over an hour. It is pretty damn great though.

Some ideas are so good it's a shame to see tham disappear so quickly. They could easily develop them much further, but instead it's on to the next thing.

There's replay value in getting gold ranking on each level, which I barely managed at all first time through, and some other modes to unlock. I'll definitely play it more.

If I have a complaint, it's that the music is a mixed bag. Some of it is wonderful, some of it rather ordinary.
  • I'm still playing through classic Doom atm (Ultra Violence), at the end of ep1 of Doom 2 after going through all of Doom 1 + Thy Flesh Consumed. Fuck me it really is an astounding series, classic Doom that is (I've no interest in Doom 3 onwards). Great fast paced action, great sound design and iconic weapons. I love everything about it tbh, definitely top 3 games ever, I wouldn't argue with anyone who listed it as the GOAT. Doesn't hurt that Romero seems like such a great guy, or that ID back then were so user-friendly and basically invented modding via releasing the source.

I paid £8 and legally bought every piece of official classic Doom, well worth it.
  • Playing on Chocolate Doom if interested, so pure og look and feel, haven't even started to think about mods and improvements. Ain't never using that look/jump stuff though. I am using mouse+kB tho, how I ever played as a kid on just kb is beyond me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have you tried Brutal Doom?

I’ve been tempted to give that a whirl myself.
  • I've been tempted but I hate the bullet holes in the screen effect.
  • Just obscures shit.

There's a lot of nice general VFX improvements that you can play with tho in stuff like GZDoom.
  • Brutal Doom is awesome. I played it on my GPDXD handheld. Gave up in the end as it couldn't quite handle it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I’m at City of Tears now, just best Dung Defender End of Greenpath and Fungal Wastes just have some bench placement and challenges with potential for multiple health loss before you’ve made a dent that are just a bit miserly. Now i’ve got the wall jump and dash at least movement is enjoyable again.

Yeah ok you're ahead of me, and yeah those problems do resonate. I need me a wall jump...

Soul Master down (only one hit against me at the second attempt #leet), but now I'm not quite sure where to head cos I hate the diamond mines and can't work out how to get into the sewers yet so :shrug:

Not found benches a problem but tube stops are slightly too spread, tedious wanting to go and buy something only to have to walk five minutes to get there. Got the lamp and a mask and three bonus knotches kind, so sall good really.
  • Not sure what some of y’all have been drinking. Sayonara is one of the worst games I’ve played in a very long time. And I played Submerged.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I haven't played it, but it doesn't look my cup of tea, or coffee. But I can just about believe it plays better than a vid suggests so :shrug:
  • ReCore. First game to briefly brick my laptop. Good times.

(all back and running now.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!