ashamed to be a man?
  • Anyone here catch wind of the recent hoopla over a known female DJ using footage of herself in a bubblebath in a video for one of her tracks?
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Nina Kraviz?

The one time i saw her she was rather good.
  • I thought the bubble bath thing was from a documentary, not a track video?
  • Yar Nina Kraviz, she used the clip in her video, so a contingent of male DJs started flinging shit online. Maybe I'm a closet misogynist I don't know, but I find feminism with a willingness to get the tits out or be sexually provocative to get ahead is a little jarring. Nina Kraviz is undoubtedly a good looking woman but a shit DJ. Danny Rampling or Seb Fontaine levels of shit.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Be fair, she's not that bad. She played some good tracks the one time i saw her. 

I do think it's a fuck load easier to make it as a DJ if you're female, however. I find it a bit frustrating hearing how female DJs talk of all the obstacles they've had to overcome. BS. A fair number get fast-tracked. Despite hardly ever meeting girls who have a clue what they're talking about with regards techno/house etc, I'd guess about 25% of the resident DJs in Berlin clubs are women, and 100% of the female DJs i know have residency. 

That said, the Sisyphos resident female DJs are really great. Yeti Meissner always has a solid and uplifting house selection (i also really fancy her), and there's another girl who plays harder techno (no idea what her name is). On the couple times i seen the latter she's always been the highlight of the night.
  • Reading that back i realise i'm probably helping sustain the model of hot female DJs getting an easy ride. I know the name of the good DJ i'd love to sleep with, but the great DJ who looks a bit like a lesbian remains anonymous. Must fix that
  • What I actually love about djing is it really is about how good you are as opposed to you image. Sure there are exceptions but the full on career djs arent lookers and very few have gimmicks.

Daft Punk are the exception but they have produced some corkers, then you look at norman cook, carl cox, pete tong, judge jules. They are they money makers and they look like your dad's mates.

Most quality djs are geeks, it is great.
  • Would have to say i'm not really a fan of any of them.

I'm not even sure why Daft Punk are commanding such attention. This image of them being really great just seemed to magic itself out of nothing recently. 

But yes, with a lot of DJs/producers the image isn't so important. My faves being Hackler & Kuch, Sven Dohse, David Dorad, Extrawelt, Nu, and Neelix. Maybe worth checking out

This should probably be taken to the dance music thread.
  • To be clear that wasnt a list of my fave djs more highlighting some of the most financially and critically successful ones.
  • Have met a good few female jocks over here now. They've all looked liked librarians or primary school teachers and their sets have consistently been the more interesting ones, fuck if I know why.

This Kraviz thing is news to me, looked it up. Irony of the video in question is one sees more of her shape and flesh in the other scenes, I mean she's no stranger to skimpy dresses is she. The whole clip seems weirdly narcissistic and ogle-y though - Nina does her lippy! Nina writhes a bit behind the decks! Nina pops into the sea! It's not a good ad for whatever the fuck she mixes, but I suspect this is on RA more than her.
  • Is she of Lenny?
  • Different spelling.

It's a funny and slightly unfortunate thing that I'm auto-wary of anyone conventionally hawt (of either gender fyi) who also makes a go of summat in the arts. Practically speaking very few of us can make a living or even be intellectually satisfied just being handsome objects but the number of times I've caught myself immediately thinking "ugh of course you're successful eh" is not a happy number.
  • Oh, she's Russian and can't close her mouth.
  • Around the World, One More Time and Harder, Better, Faster Stronger are fucking tunes.
  • I mean I try and tell myself that gut reaction comes from an exasperation with general species ease of going with our programming re: presentation but I'm quite certain it's mostly on me and my own breeding.
  • Around the World, One More Time and Harder, Better, Faster Stronger are fucking tunes.
    Daft Punk have many good tunes (none are off the current album).

They are brilliant samplers and can dig up the most obscure of disco tracks (aided by their heritage).

Like I said in another thread. Discovery is one of my favourite albums and interstella 5555 is like crack to me.
  • No B, I'm pretty sure I've read numerous times that 'attractive' people ae more successful in whatever their chosen field. I shall endeavour to back up with citations
  • Accurate as that likely is, I do wonder why it pisses me off so acutely. Am not exactly a fucking gorgon myself and don't even need to do much beyond locating fuel and entertainment.
  • Presumebly because it irks you that if you were so inclined to engage in something, you could be disadvantaged even if you're working damn hard at whatever you do, and some pretty young thing comes in and sails past you with no effort because of his perfectly symmetrical features.
  • I suppose, but the fact that's totally hypothetical should loom rather larger in my response.
  • Just for the record, Within, Instant Crush and Motherboard are also fuckin choooooons
  • No they are not.
  • Well you're wrong, thats that then
  • I'll add i know why you don't think they are, and i can sympathise, but you are a contrarian, and i will allow myself to be manipulated, so fuck you, heartless brooks
  • I totally have a heart.
  • I think it's too just
  • Never heard of any of them.

Within sounded good until the vocals kicked in. Then it becomes dogshit.
  • i think daft punks latest has been the only time ive ever allowed myself to enjoy vocodered vocals, including everything daft punk previously released

i really hate vocodered vocals

but whatever, theyre good songs, if only because i said so, Arbiter Of Choon
  • I really like them if done well. Around the World for example. This is not done well.

Instant Crush is an improvement. Vocals do not grate - but it's just boring.
  • i fucking hated every single vocodered vocal on homework, complete rubbish

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!