Game of Thrones TV show with massive spoilers everywhere.
  • So one of my Mother in Law's regular customers (she works in some finance thingy) works on Game on Thrones. He doesn't share anything majorly interesting usually but there were some interesting bits of info after their recent call...

Gonna spoiler just in case but these are general about the filming and not specific:
    Spoiler:
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Just seen the season finale. Loved the ice dragon. Got a feeling Jamie will repeat history and kill cersei "the mad queen".
    PS. I hope the white walkers win and everyone dies.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I whip ma sword back 'n' forth
  • Interesting to read the mixed views. I've got mixed feelings on the season myself; while I understand (and slightly agree) with the idea that the pace is picking up as the events begin to whirl down the plughole, there are lines of dialogue which suggest that these events are supposed to be drawn out over a period of time. I feel that the events of this short season - to be consistent with the pace of seasons one through six - could (and arguably should) have taken place over two ten-episode seasons.

I loved the way the season opened, and I loved episode seven (more on that in a moment) but elsewhere, it lacked. The scene in episode five or six with Arya and Sansa, where Arya remembered Ned and then turned on Sansa, was nothing short of awful. It was like modern earnest theatre; a writer who seemingly does not know how people talk, an actor incapable of making those words sound either natural or meaningful, falling flat somewhere in between like a keen but incompetent teenager sight-reading Shakespeare.

That Sansa-Arya spat is an excellent example of where this season has gone wrong. The delivery was, "Look, the sisters are fighti... NO LOOK ITS FINE ACTUALLY." That's not the Game of Thrones way. The Game of Thrones way is to have that last long enough that it means something. We should have been despairing for four or five episodes, shouting at the TV what we knew but we thought they didn't. There would've been a season break in the middle of it. Partly because that would've made the 'trial' scene all the better, and partly because it should've taken Arya six episodes to travel with Kings Landing soldiers (fuck Ed Sheeran getting a part, though).

The episode which featured a lot of walking and talking north of the wall, on an expedition to kidnap a zombie was close to being great, but I spent most of it disappointed when they cut away to events elsewhere. I know that the GoT way is to show us everything that's happening, but I enjoy when TV programmes take a one episode break from the norm. I wanted that episode to only be about that expedition, a showcase of the characters, almost a round-robin of character interaction. Watching how they bounce off each other in the long wait (the episode as it was did zero justice to how long they would've actually been stranded on that rock) I think it had the chance to be a tour de force but settle for fairly ordinary.

But, that last episode. That last episode was a tremendous example of what the show can do when the writers, directors and actors are on form. The scenes with Cersei made me feel anxious in a way the show hasn't done for a while; I was genuinely worried about what was going to happen. The mix of frustration and pride at Jon's determination to be honest despite the consequences. The joy of Littlefinger's comeuppance. The sheer dread when watching the hordes of undead now seemingly unstoppable as they trudge south of the wall.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with death-beam dragon. I initially presumed it would breath ice, and freeze a path around the side of the wall (and given how the scene opened, I think they wanted us to think that) but it's not like wight-walkers are some kind of opposite monster. A devastating beam of ice-blue death magic makes as much sense as anything else.

As an aside, my folks have been catching up, watching from the start over the last month or so, and so I watched two episodes from season four when I was there on Sunday evening. It included the scene where the Night's Watch deserters left a baby boy (a gift for the gods, a gift for the gods) out in the snow for the wight-walkers. One collected it, took it to some kind of alter, and then converted it by prodding its cheek with its fingernail. Does anyone want to remind me if that plot line ever went any where, or is it another loose end?
  • It's a loose end.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    If Jon's real name is eggon targaryen, does that mean the original maister at black watch hq knew who he was all along? Wasn't that guy calling out for 'eggy' as he was dying? That'd also be why he cast the deciding vote in jons favour when they were picking a new head honcho crow, no? Or, was it his diary sam was copying and I've just stated the bleeding obvious?
    Aegon. Maester. Castle Black. Maester Aemon. His brother Aegon the Unlikely. Egg for short. Lord Commander. I bet you clap every episode
    I bet you have a wee chug every time you correct a complete stranger on the internet. Top work.
    More like a long, edgy wank ending in an inhuman grunt as I spurt

Another mental snapshot to haunt me until the grave takes me.
  • Andy wrote:
    One collected it, took it to some kind of alter, and then converted it by prodding its cheek with its fingernail. Does anyone want to remind me if that plot line ever went any where, or is it another loose end?

That scene was only to show how the Night King makes White Walkers.  We find out (later?) that the Children made the Night King but his progeny are given to him by (bad) Men so they can gain favour with him  (in order to survive) in the frozen North.

Really thought Tyrion was walking to his death when he goes to have a one on one with Cersei, great scene.  I still think the Hound was referring to Ayra when he told the Mountain  'you've always known who is coming for you'.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why would he even think arya is still alive?
  • Didn't yer wan tell him on the walk?
  • You know, the blonde mannish wan
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, the mountain
  • She did.  Makes more sense than the Hound bigging himself up to be his brothers slayer.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Anyroad, given Aaron's post above, I hope they do away with all this high fantasy white walker shite first half of next season, and we can spend the last 3 eps or so having some classic tussle for the throne GoT action. Fuck dragons and zombies, I want intrigue and backstabbing.
  • Aye, The Mountain is on Arya’s list.
  • And cock.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Er.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • There are some open questions for sure.

Where will Jamie go? Will Bronn join him?

Is Cersei actually preggers?

Who will win out of Zombie Hot Pie and Sam the killer?

Does Tyrion actually love Danny? (of course he does, why wouldn't he? But will it get to him?)

Will Theon stop Euon and hijack his fleet and the Golden Army? If so, Will he act like a Greyjoy or a Stark with his new found power?
  • I don’t think Theon knows where Uncle Euron has gone. I think Theon is going to sail the wrong way looking for him.
  • Yes. Good point well made.
  • Varys and Good tits Bad tits still have their parts to play as well.
  • Hang on, who is 'Bad Tits' again?
  • Good tits Bad tits is Melisandre (red sorceress lady).
  • How could I forget those Tits!
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    She did.  Makes more sense than the Hound bigging himself up to be his brothers slayer.
    No, that was exactly what he was doing. Cleganebowl is still on.
  • I presumed he was talking about someone from Dorne to get revenge.
  • The only character left alive from Dorne is the Mother iirc, who Cersei has in the dungeon, unless her daughter is still dying in front of her.
  • IT'S FUCKING CLEGANEBOWL FFS!
  • If it doesn't happen there will be uproar.
    The series can end with a dance number and it wouldn't be as poorly received as a lack of Cleganbowl.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!