Game of Thrones TV show with massive spoilers everywhere.
  • Perhaps the Cleagans will settle it all with a dance-off?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Final two episodes done. 6 was great, although like Andy I would rather have had it entirely set north of the wall. I wouldn't even have shown Gendry reaching the wall, just stay with our intrepid heroes and ramp up the tension.

The Night King taking aim at the moving, further away dragon instead of the closer, stationary one with the main characters on it was a bit daft. They could have been climbing on it in while fortuitously using the rock as cover instead of being out in the open and becoming the ignored sitting duck.

7 was good, but Littlfinger disappointed, "You put families against each other because that's just what you do." is a fucking garbage resolution to that pivitol character's arc. So he's just a weapons grade shit stirrer, and that's it? I though he wanted Sansa but since he had her safe and sound in the Eyrie and chose to up sticks from there I guess not. What was he going to do once Sansa killed Arya and what did he stand to gain? "He loves a bit of drama" isn't the best reason for treason.

Regarding the wall, I much preferred the fan theory of the sea freezing over, as just hanging about for decades north of the wall and hoping for someone to be daft enough to drop a dragon off for them is a bit of a straw clutchy plan for the Night King to have versus the certain, creeping inevitability of winter actually coming and dooming all of us.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As Sansa herself said, she's a bit slow so "That's just what you do" is probably the best she could get her head around really.
  • Yeah, Sansa started as a Kardashian. Finally offing Pete was the end point of her character arc.
  • Winter was always coming, but someone delivered some ice nine to the big man so they're off down the town early
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Rhaegar looked shit too, a proper wimpy fop like Viserys instead of a hunky bloke. Dan will be disappointed.
  • I thought that was covered well in the chat at The Dragon Pit.
    "We chained them up and as they became weak so did we."

Rhaegon is one of the weak Targs who lost the throne. Danny has found their strength again through suffering and birthing her dragon's, her only weak point on that journey being when she was fooled into chaining her dragons.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    who was the Hound talking about coming to get the Mountain?

There's a nice little bit of fanmanning about that...

Spoiler:

Brooks wrote:
    Dragonbroad takes the throne but loses so much in the process that she turns out to be an absolute bastard overfiend anyway.

Her killcount's already Rambo-Matrix+. Tyrion's still the best choice, Davos as Hand. Halfman and Halfhand II.

Dinostar77 wrote:
    cersei "the mad queen".

That's Dolores, m8.

The series can end with a dance number and it wouldn't be as poorly received as a lack of Cleganbowl.

Brooks'd like that.

hoping for someone to be daft enough to drop a dragon off for them is a bit of a straw clutchy plan for the Night King

He touched Newtree and saw them coming.
  • Ah aint spoiler taggin shit honkey!!! Dis de spoilah thread mahfah. But in here is the least of your worries. Avoiding spoilers out there.....good luck to you. I do wish Cersei would grow her hair. The short hair annoys the fuck out of me.
    Been reading the Dark Tower?
    Not read it in years...

Black Watch HQ lol.

Honkey mahfah must have stuck in your brain then.
  • Andy wrote:
    Interesting to read the mixed views. I've got mixed feelings on the season myself; while I understand (and slightly agree) with the idea that the pace is picking up as the events begin to whirl down the plughole, there are lines of dialogue which suggest that these events are supposed to be drawn out over a period of time. I feel that the events of this short season - to be consistent with the pace of seasons one through six - could (and arguably should) have taken place over two ten-episode seasons.

I loved the way the season opened, and I loved episode seven (more on that in a moment) but elsewhere, it lacked. The scene in episode five or six with Arya and Sansa, where Arya remembered Ned and then turned on Sansa, was nothing short of awful. It was like modern earnest theatre; a writer who seemingly does not know how people talk, an actor incapable of making those words sound either natural or meaningful, falling flat somewhere in between like a keen but incompetent teenager sight-reading Shakespeare.

That Sansa-Arya spat is an excellent example of where this season has gone wrong. The delivery was, "Look, the sisters are fighti... NO LOOK ITS FINE ACTUALLY." That's not the Game of Thrones way. The Game of Thrones way is to have that last long enough that it means something. We should have been despairing for four or five episodes, shouting at the TV what we knew but we thought they didn't. There would've been a season break in the middle of it. Partly because that would've made the 'trial' scene all the better, and partly because it should've taken Arya six episodes to travel with Kings Landing soldiers (fuck Ed Sheeran getting a part, though).

The episode which featured a lot of walking and talking north of the wall, on an expedition to kidnap a zombie was close to being great, but I spent most of it disappointed when they cut away to events elsewhere. I know that the GoT way is to show us everything that's happening, but I enjoy when TV programmes take a one episode break from the norm. I wanted that episode to only be about that expedition, a showcase of the characters, almost a round-robin of character interaction. Watching how they bounce off each other in the long wait (the episode as it was did zero justice to how long they would've actually been stranded on that rock) I think it had the chance to be a tour de force but settle for fairly ordinary.

But, that last episode. That last episode was a tremendous example of what the show can do when the writers, directors and actors are on form. The scenes with Cersei made me feel anxious in a way the show hasn't done for a while; I was genuinely worried about what was going to happen. The mix of frustration and pride at Jon's determination to be honest despite the consequences. The joy of Littlefinger's comeuppance. The sheer dread when watching the hordes of undead now seemingly unstoppable as they trudge south of the wall.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with death-beam dragon. I initially presumed it would breath ice, and freeze a path around the side of the wall (and given how the scene opened, I think they wanted us to think that) but it's not like wight-walkers are some kind of opposite monster. A devastating beam of ice-blue death magic makes as much sense as anything else.

As an aside, my folks have been catching up, watching from the start over the last month or so, and so I watched two episodes from season four when I was there on Sunday evening. It included the scene where the Night's Watch deserters left a baby boy (a gift for the gods, a gift for the gods) out in the snow for the wight-walkers. One collected it, took it to some kind of alter, and then converted it by prodding its cheek with its fingernail. Does anyone want to remind me if that plot line ever went any where, or is it another loose end?

Pretty much exactly how I felt. Good write up.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Winter was always coming, but someone delivered some ice nine to the big man so they're off down the town early

I get that reference.
    And I think you're correct. Winter has only just now properly come as it's winter in the south too so now the ocean will start freezing but jokes on everyone cos ice dragon
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Actually, about what I said about the Hound up there...

Spoiler:
  • Just ran into Mance Raider at the organic greengrocers in battersea. Remember him? From when the series was ok?
  • Did he get his tits out?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The first hen came before the free yolk.
  • Watched the last two - not much more to add other than I continue to enjoy its utter daftness and spectacle, even with the inconsistency and questionable decision making of goodies and baddies at times.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Spoiler:
  • I don't think so. Not unless some crazy witch lady starts prodding around again.
  • I was avoiding this thread for spoilers, but then I remembered the series is over. Bah.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've just realised a thing: this is loaded with posh actors. My folks had Jonathan Ross' Plugman on last night, and besides Joan Collins starring as Joan Collins in Joan Collins' New Film (go on — name one), Dormer said... ‘When I graduated from drama school...

Graduated! And then there's Clarke, and Harington, and Leslie's Northern Ygritte... Thank christ for McCann and some of the others. In season eight, I hope...

Spoiler:
  • Joffrey was played by an Irish actor and an absolute toff as well. And a dickhead from what I saw of him on d'telly.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • My former research assistant was TC Dublin when he was there, apparently a nice guy and devout Christian so he hates playing Joffrey
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He had the best swagger, though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He went to a private secondary school. Only cunts do that in Ireland.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, but he was rehearsing. We're supposed to like the others.

Here's a thing I've written about season eight (spoilered, but probably no spoilers)...

Spoiler:

But...

Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Deep method.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Now let's see him play Jeffry McWild.

Remember BBC children in the '80s? At least we've moved on from that; mostly.
  • It would be such a GOT move to kill Dany & Jonjon now.The ultimate kill offs. 7 seasons leading up to these two getting together and fighting the Night King and boom, nah fuck it dead.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!