The Division
  • Oh, it's Chalice. Again. Pointlessly reducing a game to a single mechanic again too, just like 'follow the yellow dot' GTAV. Yawn.

Why do you have to be so touchy about my opinion on a game Sparky? Oh it's Sparkles. Again. Defending a game from Chalice. Yawn.

I think anyone could be forgiven for thinking that, at a glance, apart from some snow, this game looks a lot like GTAO. Where are all these tactics? Oh you can flank the enemy?? Woot!!!

Why is what I say pointless? Why do you have to defend every new game from my critism? I'm sorry, but what we were shown initially, and what we're actually getting now is quite different. You wanna be the mug and lap it up? Fine, you're part of the problem with the shitty state of games lately.

Yawn at you more like.

• Oh, it's Chalice. Again. Pointlessly reducing a game to a single mechanic again too, just like 'follow the yellow dot' GTAV. Yawn.

Good video Moe.

Why do you have to be so touchy about my opinion on a game Sparky? Oh it's Sparkles. Again. Defending a game from Chalice. Yawn.

I think anyone could be forgiven for thinking that, at a glance, apart from some snow, this game looks a lot like GTAO. Where are all these tactics? Oh you can flank the enemy?? Woot!!!

Why is what I say pointless? Why do you have to defend every new game from my critism? I'm sorry, but what we were shown initially, and what we're actually getting now is quite different. You wanna be the mug and lap it up? Fine, you're part of the problem with the shitty state of games lately.

Yawn at you more like.

Well, it'd help your cause if you didn't do exactly what he says you do in this post.

Apart from snow it's GTA? Reductive silliness that renders describing games almost pointless.

What we're getting now looks roughly the same as what I'd expect from any release like this. If some bells and whistles have been turned off/toned down, sure. Not surprising in something that is going to try and function online.

What I'm not seeing is a reason to be more cynical than normal about a game's prerelease hype vs the reality. Heck, even compared to other ubi games this looks less of a drop off from first view to release. ('sup watch dogs.)

I dunno, could be turd, could not work as a tactical jobbie or as an RPG, but there's enough I like about even alpha footage for me to keep an eye on it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Meh. You're all barming mad in my opinion. I've looked at most of the new footage and all I can see is men taking cover behind waist high walls shooting at things ad infinitum, with some Destiny like gear upgrades thrown in. I haven't reduced it down to anything, that's what it is!!

The GTA comparison is valid because you could do just that in that game and also have access to a wealth of other stuff - vehicles etc, yet nobody plays it.

If you wanna blow your hard earned on that and spend hours dipping in and out of cover to take potshots you go for it.

That got old years ago. I can't believe I'm up against you lot on this again.

A fucking Ubisoft game.

Jesus Christ what is the world coming too.

Baffling.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, it's definitely not you, it's everyone else.

Meh. You're all barming mad in my opinion. I've looked at most of the new footage and all I can see is men taking cover behind waist high walls shooting at things ad infinitum, with some Destiny like gear upgrades thrown in. I haven't reduced it down to anything, that's what it is!!

You honestly see that as being a decent point? Can't it be levelled at every shooter ever? You could aim it at Destiny, but then you'd have to reduce it further by taking out the cover mechanic. Or amend it to fit all games, 'It's just waggling the stick and pressing buttons to make stuff happen.'
  • No. There's a difference between a cover shooter with a boring premise and an age old mechanic and a game that is actually fun to play. The basic gameplay of Destiny is enough to carrry or on its own. I can pretty much guarantee that The Divisions gameplay won't be enough to carry it.

I can't be arsed to bicker with you anyway I've got things to do.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It looks pretty uninspiring to me.  There doesn't look to be much depth or tactical complexity to the shooting, and the rpg/grinding/loot/crafting/levelling up elements hold little appeal to me.  Granted I could be wrong, as I've only seen the same videos you all have but they've shown very little to get me excited recently.

Hopefully Wildlands will be what I'm looking for.  A game with tactical complexity, that you can play as often or as little as you like, but still be able to play with your friends who may rinse it.  The amount of time I have to play games would probably mean I would be level 5 while everyone else on my friends list was level 20 and as such I wouldn't be able to, or at least of no use if I did, accompany them on a raid mission.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Aye, Wildlands is looking like the one to be more excited about.
  • I'd also concede that what I thought this was going to be is probably what Wildlands will be. 
    But saying that a decent cover shooter (which GTA definitely wasn't) is more than welcome. Team Awesome can be rather good at these. 

Anyway UBI have sent my beta key for preloading now so I'll be doing that ready for playing on Thursday and I'll make my own mind up about us it's good or not. 

It's preordered so if it's pants or boring I'll be trading it in for something else so it's no life changing decision to get it.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Calling it now
    Spoiler:
  • Only after the first major patch two months after release, Reg. 

Secretly I don't care whether this is good or bad anymore, I was well hyped for it at the time when it looked amazing, but now it doesn't look all that for some reason and Ubi now have form for fucking games at launch hello Watchdogs etc. 

Also it is releasing at the same time as SF5 and I only have room in my schedule to put excessive amounts of time into one online title at a time.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'd prefer a proper demo to a rushed beta myself. I'm not entirely convinced that this was ever supposed to be quite as Destiny like as it looks now. I expected an unlock tree with abilities and weapons that went from old with iron sights to brand new with scopes and laser sights as the RPG element, not slow kill times that can be made faster with loot. Pop out of cover and head shot is going to lose some of its charm if you need to repeat it a few times for a kill. It just seems very odd for a modern military shooter.
  • Can you even still log in from a tablet and play as a drone like at that one E3 demo?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It does seem quite inconsistent with the theme.  Pumping bullets into a bullet sponge fantasy alien can make sense. Pumping bullets into the head of a Brooklyn gangbanger wearing a baseball cap doesn't work for me.
  • Come on now, we'll have no division in The Division thread.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Forza Horizon 2? It's just GTAV without getting out of the car or shooting things.
  • Watch it, sonny.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh well downloading. Any of Team Clueless in for the beta? Would be great to screw this up as much as Destiny.

I haven't watched any recent vids, so not disappointed yet. Will give it a go and see before I start moaning.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Got my code so will get it downloaded tonight. Play over weekend, make my own mind up, decide whether to cancel or not.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Can you even still log in from a tablet and play as a drone like at that one E3 demo?
    No feature was removed earky in alpha stage due to balancing, glitches and a number of other things it broke.
    (and never actually worked properly)

Chalice we aint all mad, but some of us will try the beta before passing judgment on the typical ubi botch job. ;)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The last Ghost Recon was big fun in co-op. I just want a better one of those, which hopefully Wildlands will be. Maybe.
  • This game looks very last gen. Wow.

No thanks.
  • Woah steady Gonz! You might get ridiculed from Sparky for having a critical opinion!!! Watch it!

Oh no sorry, you're not me, so you're okay.
  • Have we had anything next gen yet?
  • Bloodbourne, witcher3?
  • they couldnt be done last gen?
  • Actually, what qualifies as next gen?
    Amaze grafix or some kind of nebulous gameplay concept?
  • Both bloodborne and Witchery could've been done. Graphical fidelity lost yes, but still could've been done.

There is no next gen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!