Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    That won't work unless you believe their praying will help.
    Yep, the placebo effect is powerful.

But what if I just believed that the surgeon is really good and he/she won't fuck it up? Just as good a placebo surely?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Although seriously, I do wear a St George when deployed, simply for my wife's sake. She gave it to me "to keep me safe" and the thought of how she would react if anything happened to me and she found out I wasn't wearing it, well I would rather just wear it.
    Just reposting this so it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the page, I think it is telling.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    But what if I just believed that the surgeon is really good and he/she won't fuck it up? Just as good a placebo surely?
    Evidently not, if we take the earlier assertion to be true.  One is a more rational belief than the other, and the religious person has two positives to focus on rather than just one.
  • I used to be terrified of dying when i was younger. I recall the time dad bluntly explained to me how it worked. "what are those" "gravestones" "what are they for?" "when people die we put them underground. one day that will happen to mum" I cried for a fucking long time. I can still remember the sound of my mum flipping out over my dad's delivery.

We tell the boy about death, and he's not even three. Really young kids can cope with shit like that. We found a squashed bird and I explained it was dead. 

"Broken, like toys?" (we chuck his toys in the bin if they break because he throws them).
    "A bit like the toys, yes, but sometimes toys can be fixed, but alive things can never be fixed when they die. That's why you should never cross the road without looking, or you'll die like this bird."
    "I don't want to break Daddy."
    "Well make sure you don't get squished."
    "Ok Dad."

Now when he finds a dead something he always points it out. "Dead bee Dad! Dead fly Dad!".
  • Although seriously, I do wear a St George when deployed, simply for my wife's sake. She gave it to me "to keep me safe" and the though of how she would react if anything happened to me and she found out I wasn't wearing it, well I would rather just wear it.
    Just reposting this so it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the page, I think it is telling.

You should. I read it twice anyway.
  • Hmm. I wonder how that might play out as he gets older.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Evidently not, if we take the earlier assertion to be true.  One is a more rational belief than the other, and the religious person has two positives to focus on rather than just one.
    Evidently how? Where are the stats to say who believed the surgeon was competent or not?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Although seriously, I do wear a St George when deployed, simply for my wife's sake. She gave it to me "to keep me safe" and the though of how she would react if anything happened to me and she found out I wasn't wearing it, well I would rather just wear it.

I think it has something to say about our fear of death, about what we leave behind as opposed to what happens to us.
  • Hmm. I wonder how that might play out as he gets older.

Relax igor. It'll play out like it has done time immemorial. It's only recently, and in mainly affluent countries, that you can hide the most natural thing in the world.
  • Although seriously, I do wear a St George when deployed, simply for my wife's sake. She gave it to me "to keep me safe" and the though of how she would react if anything happened to me and she found out I wasn't wearing it, well I would rather just wear it.
    I think it has something to say about our fear of death, about what we leave behind as opposed to what happens to us.

It's not often you get a post like that. Makes you think about a ton of things. For me it was a lot about relationships as much as it was about loss. It was also about irrationality in the face of fear. It was about love. It was about a lot of complex things. 

In short, it was good. I like this thread.
  • The only thing that really upsets me when i think about dying is how my mum would react.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I appreciate SG's no nonsense approach to it. It's not as if it hasn't happened before.
  • The only thing that really upsets me when i think about dying is how my mum would react.

You'd hope she would be dead.
    You'd hope she would be dead.

It's not a nice thought. It wouldn't surprise me hugely if one of my siblings died before my parents. My brother's very reckless and i have a lot of worries for my sister too. She has a lot of problems.
  • I'm not afraid of dying. I never have been. I've wondered in a drug induced haze if the world that i occupy will simply blink out of existence.
    Will i become part of the energy of the universe? Will i continue on as the sunlight? Or as simply thoughts. Will the essence of me start afresh in a newborn's body with all memory of who i was wiped? Or will i just be gone.
    I remember seeing my fathers body and wondering what was the difference between him as he was and what he was now. He looked the same. Completely still. For some reason i told him he was going to be a grandfather again. And when i touched his forehead and kissed it, he felt the same to me.
    I wondered where the part of him that was him had gone. It was very strange.
    I'm not afraid though.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I appreciate SG's no nonsense approach to it. It's not as if it hasn't happened before.

Conversely, if death teaches us anything, it's appreciation. Imagine a world where nothing ever died. It'd be awful - a whole world of teenage mentality. 

Life is short, but it's a whole lot longer than it used to be. Appreciate that.
  • I'm not afraid of dying. I never have been. I've wondered in a drug induced haze if the world that i occupy will simply blink out of existence.

Can't remember the exact fictional book, but it said when a person dies a whole universe dies with them. Then you study quantum physics and realise that might literally be true. Nature shrugs off such deep losses, as should we.
  • Prospect of missing out on future cool things because death is a tad irritating.
  • I'm not bothered about the things. It's the events that interest me, and the progress of knowledge and understanding.
  • I'd include those in "things".
  • I'd like to know how it ends. Not for me, but for humanity in general. The biggest catastrophes and world events etc.
  • I'd like to know if human science turned out well or not. You'd hope yes, but power can be a terrible thing.
  • I think i have more trouble getting my head around life than death. Death i can understand. I've been dead most of the time up until now and it was totally cool. But life makes my head spin a bit. Quite a few aspects just make so little sense to me. I'd love to know if it existed elsewhere.
  • It must.

And I would like to see where 'it' all ends ups. Don't need to live forever. Just a 1 hour documentary from the end of time would be enough I think. I just want the gist.

The thing that scares me is the possible mechanics of how my own expiration will occur. I'm a big coward so would really struggle to come to terms with it if I knew in advance. It would be best to go quickly without knowing beforehand. You don't get the chance to say goodbye or make the most of your time but really you should be living in such a way as the threat of imminent death wouldn't induce a massive change in behaviour (I currently don't, probably self evident by pissing around on an Internet forum so much).
  • I'm pretty terrified about the process of dying. That's probably been negatively informed by watching one of my parents succumb to a debilitating disease and watching them go through the gamut of emotions. Rage at their fate. Joy at the previously decent 50-odd years. Regret at what will never come to pass in their life. Hope that their ordeal might inspire the rest of the family to get busy living. 

The actual physical pain of dying is of greatest concern. Surprising really, as I have a very high pain threshold; broken limbs, huge cuts, impaling my eye on a tree branch were a lot more bearable than most would have expected. Perhaps it's the ambiguity of shuffling away that gets me and the utter lack of control. 

Since I've had kids my biggest worry was what would happen to them if I died. Would it fuck their lives up, would my wife remarry some scumbag, would childhood end more abruptly and adulthood begin? Thought about it for a few years and it really did terrify me. Most people would say that's really out of character as I'm very laidback, rarely get stressed at anything, have very low blood pressure etc. 

But now I'm not so concerned about it. I think it's about coming to terms with the fact that you're replaceable. I've got a great family and I know that they'd step up to the mark. My wife would cope admirably. We've got a life assurance policy, so money would't be a concern. And the boys are great; everything I ever wanted them to be and more. Kids are hardy and most of the time, the fragilities of adulthood are impressed upon children before they fully appreciate them. Their heart-breaking innocence is both a curse and a blessing - when my eldest said 'Where is Pappy now?' in front of my mum I was upset for her but also happy that he felt he could discuss death without being overawed. He was affected by his grand-dad's death but appreciated that it was a natural thing, which happens to us all. 

Ultimately, it comes down to fear of the unknown - what's going to happen when you're not there? I can't be there to impact on life's challenges, so I guess my duty is to make my kids as well-rounded and prepared for life's rich tapestries. 

Christ, only meant to write a sentence and all that came out. 

Cathartic Thread Achievement 50g.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Prospect of missing out on future cool things because death is a tad irritating.

That's my dad's mentality. He doesn't give a shit about dying, but wants a jet pack before he does.
  • The Holodeck should be out before I die. That would be pleasing.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Prospect of missing out on future cool things because death is a tad irritating.
    That's my dad's mentality. He doesn't give a shit about dying, but wants a jet pack before he does.
    So you'd have mixed feelings if he died in a jet pack accident.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!