Bear and Badger perceptions of mortality
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I feel that it's probably best to die before technology arrives that makes immortality possible. I doubt we are built to be able to handle that - or maybe we are and such technology would our 2001 monolith heralding the next stage of our development - this might actually just be a quant period of history in which people's consciousness is lost to us.

Such tech would need to be accompanied by inter stellar travel.

Being over the half way mark I do think it about it but as an earlier poster stated - kids make you worry about their untimely demise instead and I'd also rather live longer than my wife as I wouldn't want her to be alone.

There's now't to worry about though - if there is an afterlife then that's a result, if not, then we are only going back to where we have already been.

Best to try and make sure to minimise anything you feel you would miss or regret before it happens.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Can't remember the exact fictional book, but it said when a person dies a whole universe dies with them. Then you study quantum physics and realise that might literally be true. Nature shrugs off such deep losses, as should we.

I'm pretty sure the "many worlds" interpretation talks about decisions splitting universes, but those universes persisting despite what subsequently happens.  I've split this universe in 2 by deciding to click "post comment" here, and in the other universe I didn't do it.

I don't know if free will's an inescapable part of that, but if it's not, and events split the universe, you could rationalise that death generates a whole new universe, rather than removing one.  In the other universe, you didn't die at that moment; but by dying, you've split the universe into a new and unique form.
  • davyK wrote:
    I feel that it's probably best to die before technology arrives that makes immortality possible. I doubt we are built to be able to handle that - or maybe we are and such technology would our 2001 monolith heralding the next stage of our development - this might actually just be a quant period of history in which people's consciousness is lost to us.

The book Flash Forward (not the horrible TV series) had an extremely interesting example of how immortality like that could work.
    Spoiler:
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Can't remember the exact fictional book, but it said when a person dies a whole universe dies with them. Then you study quantum physics and realise that might literally be true. Nature shrugs off such deep losses, as should we.
    I'm pretty sure the "many worlds" interpretation talks about decisions splitting universes, but those universes persisting despite what subsequently happens.  I've split this universe in 2 by deciding to click "post comment" here, and in the other universe I didn't do it. I don't know if free will's an inescapable part of that, but if it's not, and events split the universe, you could rationalise that death generates a whole new universe, rather than removing one.  In the other universe, you didn't die at that moment; but by dying, you've split the universe into a new and unique form.

It's all a bit post-Everett these days. They couldn't really handle waveform collapse back in the day, although the MW theory's not entirely dead.
  • Not sure where to start with this really.

First off, nearly dying is a bit of a recurring theme with me.  (I've mentioned a couple of my comedy accidents in the clumsiness thread).  These range from a variety of car accidents - being asleep in a car which then hit central reservation as driver was doing the same, falling out of a tree in front of an AA van - to blind stupidity - falling through a roof, falling off a cliff etc.

The only one that really registered though was having meningitis just before my 18th birthday.  I was in a coma for about 3 days and my prognosis, delivered with terrifying lack of subtlety to my mother, was "if he's lucky he'll survive, but with severe brain damage".  (As it happens, I'm just a tiny bit deaf.)  This resulted in a massive change in me subsequently - I went from a silent, bookish, academic recluse to, well kind of the same but significantly more sociable.  There was a palpable sense of being given a second chance at life which lasted for a couple of years before I gradually settled back into not really thinking about it.  (But my personality altered pretty much permanently.)

"Not thinking about it" is kind of an established learned behaviour for me (and I'd argue most people).  I vividly remember the moment at which I "got it", drifting off to sleep as a child, and thinking "this next bit is what it's like when you're dead, only you never come back".  I found myself suddenly gripped by anxiety, and for a short time everything in my life focussed around this horrific sensation.  Until I tuned it out.  Of course, it tunes back in occassionally, usually, inevitably, when I'm falling asleep.  That sensation of existential terror is undimmed, and whilst I spend most of my life pretending it doesn't happen, it's not escaped my notice that pretty much anything creative that I've embarked upon has death (and escaping it) as a central theme somewhere.  Doubtless not helped by the knowledge that on my mother's side of the family men rarely make it past 40 due to a particularly rare genetic condition that I've chosen not to find out if I have.  (I'm 38, start your sweepstake now.)

The weird/pathetic thing is that, rather than my fear causing me to seize the day (as my second chance once, briefly, did) it has the opposite effect.  My refusal to contemplate, means that pondering on what must be done before I'm gone doesn't really happen.  I know life is short, and precious, and could be swept away at any moment.  (The day job rams that home on  a regular basis.)  Yet I decide to just trudge along, because it feels easier that way.  I know I'll be one of those on their death bed berating their failure to do the stuff that really mattered and wishing I had more time, but somehow I just let it go...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are a couple of things that force me to consider a continuation of self awareness after death.

The first is the incredibly short amount of time we are alive against the amount of time there has been up until we die - so small as to actually consider it insignificant - and if the universe is infinite - approaching non existance given a life time divided by an infinite amount of time. Even with a univerise with a finite existance our lifespan is an amount so mind numbingly small that we may as well not have bothered existing at all - let alone having self awareness.

The other is the idea of individuality being an illusion. We exist in a universe so inter-related that to consider myself as an island unconnected to everything else borders on extreme naivety and arrogance. If we have a shared existence then how can we actually blink out?

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I really have no issue with the concept of my own death, or others. I know it'll come, and going off how life is, it could happen in five seconds, it could happen in sixty years. Fuck knows. I think growing up with a children's ward (on a fully dedicated children's hospital) as my second home (well, I'd semi grown up, we're talking 10-16 years old here) made me understand it more at a younger age. There were a few kids my age who I befriended when a patient who were there one day, gone the next. As in deceased, not merely gone home.

I remember one lad (and kids being fickle as they are, nobody but me seemed to want to get to know him) being completely bedridden. His body would just twist and contort in all positions as he screamed out in pain. Barely a second wandered by without those screams, which when you first wandered onto the ward terrified you at such a young age. I think it was cerebral palsy, but unflinchingly horrific. There must've been some other condition(s) thrown into the mix, but I can't remember anymore. He couldn't talk, move or do anything on his own. But I do remember spending hours sitting at his bedside when his family wasn't there with him, just holding his hand. On the odd occasion, he'd make eye contact, and somewhere underneath all this pain he was going through, there was him. Just a boy, my age, his life fucked by all this. There was humanity and feeling. And then he'd be lost again, grunts and screams as his hand tightened around mine.

Roughly three years he was on that ward, while I was an intermittent tourist, booking weeks on end there then heading home to continue life. Then next time I visited, he was gone. I knew what'd happened, and my parents, knowing how I felt about him, asked the nurses. And just knowing he lived that life, of no hope, no real fucking existence, just makes me think that whatever the fuck happens to me, no matter how I die, be it painful or horrific or quiet and at peace, I can face it. Its just a fact of life really, nothing you can do to change things. Only regret I have is, I can't remember his name.
  • There is no awareness after death. Once your brain's dead it's game over. It amazes me why anyone could ever think there was more to it. Maths won't help, especially maths using infinites.
  • I think it's the egotism that really annoys. That humans are some kind of evolutionary pinnacle that deserves a place in eternity.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Awareness after death would be great. Espesh if you've been cremated.
  • Awareness after death would be great. Espesh if you've been cremated.

You certainly wouldn't forget the smell in a hurry.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There is no awareness after death. Once your brain's dead it's game over. It amazes me why anyone could ever think there was more to it. Maths won't help, especially maths using infinites.

I tend to believe that is the case but given as its a one-way trip it is rather hard to prove either way and I am amused by anyone who claims to have absolute knowledge either way.

I just have an open mind about it and I like to think that it isn't just because of my age. Maybe I just like to think that there is more to come - is this existence that seems overly obsessed with physicality all there is ? All a bit tedious and a bit of a waste of time if there is no way of reflecting on it once it's over.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like to think about all the things I have been before my life, and all the things I will be after my death. Nothing is destroyed, just recycled.
  • Closest I've come to dying without it involving people shooting rockets at me or flying my aeroplane into a hill was when I had swine flu.  I had pneumonia as well and some liver/kidney complications, and there was a point where they apparently genuinely thought I might be best off put in a medically-induced coma, but I didn't quite get there.

When the doctor subsequently explained it was a little touch and go for a while, I remember not being that bothered.  It was quite refreshing to realise that I just kept falling asleep, I was a bit groggy, I felt a bit sick, and I couldn't focus very well.  He implied that one of the times I randomly fell into a nap in the afternoon, if things were a bit worse I could have drifted into organ failure and not woken up.  I wouldn't have known.

Anyway, it was quite liberating to think that's what it would have been like.  No massive pain or anything.  Like a lot of people, I think the idea of being able to just wink out of existence if it were an option would be extremely tempting; to just disappear and not exist, without subjecting your family to the associated grief, would sometimes be lovely.  And this was a bit like that, I guess.
  • Well either evolution is wrong Davy, or the idea of afterlife is wrong. There is incredible evidence for the former and fuck all for the latter. It's literally a bit of a no brainer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well either evolution is wrong Davy, or the idea of afterlife is wrong. There is incredible evidence for the former and fuck all for the latter. It's literally a bit of a no brainer.

eh? What has evolution got to do with an afterlife? I don't see any link there...
  • I'm a big believer in reincarnation, the idea of recycled consciousness.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    I'm a big believer in reincarnation, the idea of recycled consciousness.

I like the idea, but I don't understand how the necessary transfer of energy would happen.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    I like the idea, but I don't understand how the necessary transfer of energy would happen.

It's just a bit difficult to imagine everything you were disappearing, as unlikely as it seems. As much as it seems like it requires a religious side to you, religion is not required to believe in reincarnation.
  • Like many things people believe that we could spend our time rubbishing. We believe what we want to believe.
    As much as I know that everything that I am will cease to be when I die, I want to believe that my consciousness will continue in some way shape or form after my death. If that is the transferral of soul, I am happy with that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The only reincarnation I believe in is that the atoms that make up me right now will eventually be present in millions of other creatures.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The only reincarnation I believe in is that the atoms that make up me right now will eventually be present in millions of other creatures.

It is cool to think that our atoms were created in the core of a sun who knows how long ago and how far away - and that they will be put to use again.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    It's just a bit difficult to imagine everything you were disappearing, as unlikely as it seems.
    It's more than difficult, it's impossible.  You simply cannot fully comprehend your not existing, because it involves some sort of spectating of the things in your life without you there.

I don't think I'm articulating this very well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:

That really is the crux of it - if that can somehow exist outside of the body - the ghost outside of the machine as it where - then it's game on for an afterlife.
  • While I'm generally with you, SG, I challenge you to prove there is no afterlife.
  • I challenge you to prove anything.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I challenge you to prove anything.

There are natural occurances - such as St. Elmos Fire and ball lightning for example - where energy under certain conditions takes on an unusual form. This of course proves nothing but it does raise the question of how energy can take certain esoteric forms - and if that can be done in a controlled way - could be used to encode information.

We already use electricity and light to encode binary information so its hardly a massive step to consider naturally occuring energy's other applications.

We use electricity every day and equipment that depends on quantum effects and maths involving oddities such imaginary numbers every day - but we only know what cause and effect is at a basic "black box" level - not actually how it works.

I admire your absolute blind belief that all science is known at this arbitrary point in time.

And you still haven't explained your reasoning behind the link between evolution and an afterlife - I await that with some interest.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!