Mobile Gaming (iOS/Android/Other)
  • Fire Emblem is another game that dumps you in the menu with barely an explanation. Guessing at what different things are doing isn't the best player engagement.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Battle of Polytopia is a fucking great little Civ like strategy game - just played through my first game and learnt so much and there's so much scope for different strategies that I'm going straight back in for a new game :-)

The Battle of Polytopia by Midjiwan AB
    https://appsto.re/gb/qDf_7.i
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Just had a quick game and it does seem rather good. Cheers!
  • Just downloaded Chameleon Run for free.  I normally couldn't give a flying toss about 'run' games, including the turgid Super (it's just a slower paced and more grindy run game but at full price, suckers) Mario Run, but Chameleon is really good.

Nice and smooth, and crucially, fast to play a level.  The colour switching mechanic works very well.

Definitely good value at £0.
  • Pacman 256 is a decent little diversion. It's basically Pacman x Crossy Road.
  • Fuck a duck that Polytopia game is addictive. Perfect little mobile civ game, and very nicely done with the free aspect - 4 tribes are free, so you can play whole game for no moneys, and there's an extra 5 tribes that you can buy if you want (and doing so unlocks them in the 2 game modes and allows you to go from battling with 4 tribes to a map with all 9 tribes on).
  • Sounds good, downloading now. Will give it a shot at lunch.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • djchump wrote:
    Battle of Polytopia is a fucking great little Civ like strategy game - just played through my first game and learnt so much and there's so much scope for different strategies that I'm going straight back in for a new game :-) The Battle of Polytopia by Midjiwan AB https://appsto.re/gb/qDf_7.i
    good find!
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Eurogamer: Older iPhone, iPad games now warn they'll soon become obsolete.
    Load up many older iPhone or iPad games and you may now find yourself facing a stark warning - that the "app will not work with future versions of iOS".

"The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility," the warning continues.

So far so standard, right? iOS updates itself all the time - and sometimes games are affected. (And speaking of updates, you'll only see this message if you're on the latest iOS firmware update, 10.3.)

But it's the scale of the issue which has many iPhone users concerned. The upcoming iOS update mentioned in the warning is almost certainly iOS 11, which is expected to drop this Septemer and will - it has been widely rumoured - kill support for 32-bit apps completely.

Apple introduced support for 64-bit apps back in 2013, with iOS 7, and has since mandated that all apps support 64-bit as standard. It later began warning users that 32-bit apps might "slow down" your iPhone, even if this generally wasn't the case.
    It now appears Apple is ready to call time on the 32-bit era for good.

So, what does this mean for your games? Currently, hundreds - if not thousands - of well known titles are affected.

Games known to currently need an update include FTL, Baldur's Gate, XCOM: Enemy Within, Doom, Ridiculous Fishing, Super Crate Box and Rayforce.

Many of these larger titles likely will receive the updates they require. Sadly, the real casualties will be games from defunct developers or titles which are just no longer supported.

You can check which of your games need updating on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > About > Applications.

Developers have around five months to update older games, or they will become obsolete. Alternatively, you can choose not to upgrade to iOS 11.

I'm thinking about the games I still play that have been been showing the, "this app may slow down your iPad/iPhone," warning for a while. My concern is not just the games from defunct developers, but also those from the likes of EA who will choose not to update, because they'd rather you bought a newer version.

I'm already fed up of the wider issue of games/apps that I've originally paid for, that are then converted to a subscription / freemium model. I tend to vote with my wallet, and don't give them any more money, and I fully appreciate that it'll be covered by the EULAs, but it's still tiresome. Now I anticipate I'll be adding neglected apps to the list.
  • One of my favourites, Ziggurat, stopped working a long time ago and it made me sad. Playing Device 6 right now and thankfully it's been kept updated for latest iOS.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That Polytopia is a great Civ-lite, good shout.

Sunless sea came out on iPad a few weeks back, seems a prefect fit for the format.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ballz
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Love it.
  • Ballz
  • It's shit.
    Deleted.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Lol. Always appreciate the diverse opinions round here. I've been playing it loads since downloading it yesterday.
  • Ha.
    Personally it's problem is symptomatic of many mobile games it gets too hard too quick (yeh, yeh, git gud etc...) The gameplay mechanisms are fun enough, even satisfying but just as you are enjoying them it gives you several 9+ blocks and you've only had a chance to accrue 2 or 3 extra balls, then within a couple of more turns out come the 15+ blocks.
    Sometimes it's nice to play mobile games just for the sheer enjoyment of the mechanisms not so much the challenge.

Basically just as I'm enjoying it, it gets frustrating and saps the enjoyment.
    A slower ramp up of difficulty and imo it would be a little cracker.

Cue the posts of 'its too easy already' and 'i got 500 on my very first go' etc...
  • My best is currently 92 rows and I'm now getting blocks of 100-150. Requires a different approach to the shots for sure. I'm actually finding the difficulty curve about right, but mostly I'm simply enjoying the basic game mechanism and the visual satisfaction when you do a great shot and the balls go all over the shop and clear out loads of blocks. A few of those is gratifying regardless of overall score. So, yep, I would advise to 'git gud', or rather just stick at it a wee bit longer. I haven't played an iOS game this much for a long, long time.
  • Best is now 117. :)
  • Can't. It's deleted. NEVER GO BACK MAN.
  • Ballz. 37.

My kids were addicted to the color switch games that Ketchapp made. They will enjoy this too. I think a little family competition will be good.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I hate those Ketchapp games. I deleted Ballz pretty quickly. The aiming at the sides of the screen was terrible.
  • 123 now in Ballz. I think this thing deserves its own thread.
  • Warbits 1.2 now on sale. Just buy it okay.
  • Andy wrote:
    Eurogamer: Older iPhone, iPad games now warn they'll soon become obsolete.
    Load up many older iPhone or iPad games and you may now find yourself facing a stark warning - that the "app will not work with future versions of iOS".

"The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility," the warning continues.

So far so standard, right? iOS updates itself all the time - and sometimes games are affected. (And speaking of updates, you'll only see this message if you're on the latest iOS firmware update, 10.3.)

But it's the scale of the issue which has many iPhone users concerned. The upcoming iOS update mentioned in the warning is almost certainly iOS 11, which is expected to drop this Septemer and will - it has been widely rumoured - kill support for 32-bit apps completely.

Apple introduced support for 64-bit apps back in 2013, with iOS 7, and has since mandated that all apps support 64-bit as standard. It later began warning users that 32-bit apps might "slow down" your iPhone, even if this generally wasn't the case.
    It now appears Apple is ready to call time on the 32-bit era for good.

So, what does this mean for your games? Currently, hundreds - if not thousands - of well known titles are affected.

Games known to currently need an update include FTL, Baldur's Gate, XCOM: Enemy Within, Doom, Ridiculous Fishing, Super Crate Box and Rayforce.

Many of these larger titles likely will receive the updates they require. Sadly, the real casualties will be games from defunct developers or titles which are just no longer supported.

You can check which of your games need updating on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > About > Applications.

Developers have around five months to update older games, or they will become obsolete. Alternatively, you can choose not to upgrade to iOS 11.

I'm thinking about the games I still play that have been been showing the, "this app may slow down your iPad/iPhone," warning for a while. My concern is not just the games from defunct developers, but also those from the likes of EA who will choose not to update, because they'd rather you bought a newer version.

I'm already fed up of the wider issue of games/apps that I've originally paid for, that are then converted to a subscription / freemium model. I tend to vote with my wallet, and don't give them any more money, and I fully appreciate that it'll be covered by the EULAs, but it's still tiresome. Now I anticipate I'll be adding neglected apps to the list.

Sign of the times, unfortunately. It's another reason why I've avoided iOS and android games in general - some that I've been interested in were already slightly long in the tooth and had issues on newer versions of the os.

At least with a cd / cart and hardware you should be able, in theory, to play the game indefinitely and not have to deal with the shit above.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not a game, but Apple bought out the makers of Workflow and it's apparently now available for free.
  • Do bluestacks and the like play older titles?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Monument Valley 2 is on the App Store for a fiver.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!