Just completed
  • JonB wrote:
    Credits rolled on Rayman Legends. Very impressed overall. Lots of smart ideas, loads of content, and real understanding of 2D platform games. Plus a nice mix of silly fun and challenging bits. And great music too. Some ideas were overused - too many forced scrolling levels and placement of secrets especially - and the controls can work against you in certain situations (wall running - urgh), but the good easily outweighs the bad. Wouldn't put it quite up there with the real 16 bit classics, but it's not far off, and more accessible of course. Will almost certainly play more as well. Have hardly touched the Origins levels yet.

I think playing in co-op took a point off for me, oddly.  It's not quite as suited for two as something like Tropical Freeze.
  • Those two Rayman games are better with 4 players or solo really. It makes for chaos, which is then made up for by the fact there are more people to revive you if you die.

2 player is a bit boring, the chaos isn't produced but you have that lifeline that isn't there in SP.

Playing Origins with 3 mates over the course of a weekend is one of my favourite gaming memories, especially once the drink set in.
    The football mini game in Legends is also a great little warm up game before an MP session.

@JonB
    Have you tried the daily challenges? They are a nice little distraction.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Don't forget Celeste you cheapskates.  It is a good game and I have Just Completed it bar combing the levels for the few rooms I've missed.  Those minor branching paths are one of just a few missteps.  A handful of longer stages all but force trial and error, with no way of previewing upcoming hazards.  Some stages do let you view them through a set of seaside binoculars, enabling you to plot a route, so it feels especially cheap when they're not provided.  Post-credits it settles into an increasingly difficult platforming gauntlet which is exactly what I signed up for.  It gets a lot of mileage out of its 8-way dash, slotting into new scenarios throughout, and there are some nuances to the movement that are only touched upon but will surely be mandatory for speedruns.
  • The newer Rayman games - Origins and Legends - are better than any of the recent 2D Mario games, in single and multiplayer.
  • I would go along with that.
    Smarter, funnier, more original, more content, more exciting gameplay and a better art style.
  • Hope E3 brings us a third one.
  • @JonB Have you tried the daily challenges? They are a nice little distraction.
    i did a couple just to have a look. Doubt i'll get into doing them regularly but it's good to have them there.
  • Rayman legends is just a great reminder of why I love video games
    Peter3C
  • Dubs wrote:
    Don't forget Celeste you cheapskates.  It is a good game and I have Just Completed it bar combing the levels for the few rooms I've missed.  Those minor branching paths are one of just a few missteps.  A handful of longer stages all but force trial and error, with no way of previewing upcoming hazards.  Some stages do let you view them through a set of seaside binoculars, enabling you to plot a route, so it feels especially cheap when they're not provided.  Post-credits it settles into an increasingly difficult platforming gauntlet which is exactly what I signed up for.  It gets a lot of mileage out of its 8-way dash, slotting into new scenarios throughout, and there are some nuances to the movement that are only touched upon but will surely be mandatory for speedruns.

As someone with far less skill that yourself I tend to enjoy trial and error sections in platformers - some hated the escape scenes in Ori, but I found them genuinely exhilarating.  I rarely expect to make it through a section without a few deaths, so learning as I go is mostly fine by me, depending on how it's handled.  These games are probably slightly more of a Simon Says/memory test for me than a skill thing for me.  

Did you play The End is Nigh?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I did not, it doesn't appear to be on PS4 yet but I'll be keeping an eye out.  Sounds like it has a similar structure to Celeste but as long as there's not too much exploration or collectables then it's fine.

I don't mind trial and error if my execution's being tested, the frustration came from not knowing what I was supposed to do, having only been able to briefly glimpse an obstacle before hurtling past it into some spikes.  I ended up youtubing certain stages, like watching replays in Trials, so failures were down to my execution alone.  It's a byproduct of the chunky pixel art making the field of view quite small.  It could even be twisted into a compliment as it's often a familiar obstacle used in a new way which throws you off.  A minor criticism anyway, only applying to a handful of stages from what must be over 200 in total.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You watched replays?

fkin rumbled lad cheating those time eh
  • You watched replays? fkin rumbled lad cheating those time eh
    Am disappointed.

Dubs has grown weak.
  • Dubs wrote:
    I did not, it doesn't appear to be on PS4 yet but I'll be keeping an eye out.  Sounds like it has a similar structure to Celeste but as long as there's not too much exploration or collectables then it's fine.

There's limited exploration in a similar vein to Celeste - secrets are off the beaten path - but it's more left to right overall, with warp points for revisiting areas.  Collectables are tumours, which work like strawberries or bandages, albeit with a twist.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Superhot (Xbox One)

It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years. I can't say too much, though.

[6], maybe [7]. Fun but the hit detection feels weird.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • By coincidence, I've just taken a break from endless mode.  Didn't like the game at first but it has enough balls to tell me to fuck off and that sold it to me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'll probably hit Endless Mode for a bit, if only to grind out the "kill X dudes with weapon Y" achievements.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Just announced there is gonna be a Superhot Japan, not the oroginal team though.
  • Woot woot!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Hotswitch to the gravy train pls.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • How very Japanese.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Definitely. I was looking at hardware sales figures in Japan a while back, the vanilla 2DS outsold the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X combined.
  • Yoshi's island:

Still kewl as. Fantastic art-style with lots of creative and innovative gameplay ideas on tap.

All the egg throwing slowing things and the jump with float-time mechanics places it behind all the (8 - 16bit) 2D Marios.

Would still (probably) make my Snes top 20.
  • AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) on PC.

Fantastic quality for a fan made game.  Feels like a good (i.e. old) 2d Metroid game, which is praise enough.  Posted more details in the Metroid 4 thread.

That completes my 2d Metroid-a-thon of Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission, all played twice each over the last three weeks.
  • Streets of Rage remake v5.1 (W10)

Like am2r another fantastic homebrew remake of a classic series. Great little remix of SoR1, 2 and 3 complete with branching paths and multiple endings. Visuals are improved upon the MD originals and the remixed ost is beyond excellent. The fight mechanics are a mishmash of SoR2 and SoR3 and it's a joy to control. Punches, kicks, jumps and specials, they all come out as you remember them and more. Gameplay wise it has the same same strengths and faults as the games it's based upon; fight strategy mostly revolves around tight crowd control with bosses suffering from SNK boss syndrome which can feel a bit cheap at times.

Still great fun especially in coop. And then there's the unlockables and that 1 more go feeling.
    Arguably the best arcade 2d scrolling brawler to date. Sega should pick this up and rerelease it like they did Sonic mania. Would do gangbusters on iOS and Android.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Is this new or is it the one that SEGA took down about 4 yes ago? Either way, the one I played on my laptop with my streetfighter pads it was an incredible effort to pull something as accomplished as that together.

Read today in Smith's that an ex Rare dev is making a new scrolling beatem up. It looked swish, hopefully rips off more SOR than the Bouncer and actually turns out to be fun.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Wow, that looks proper hideous.

CqN715U.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!