Just completed
  • Alan Wake is an incredible game. Loved it.
    Xbox / PSN - DongleUnlimited
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yup. American Nightmare is good as well and I'm the only one who thinks this.
  • I saw pictures of them both and they looked a bit boring.
  • Alan Wake is decent and very atmospheric but you can tell they changed focus midway, it's all stretched a little thin and the ending is rubbish. 

American Nightmare is repetitive and features repeating Kasabian and is repetitive and features Kasabian repeating and has Kasabian in it and is repetitive and repeats and Kasabian repeats Kasabian Kasabian.
  • Let's face it, walking about in the dark with a torch peaked with Luigi's Mansion.
  • I'd play a JMT game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I gave up on AW very early on. The writing was embarrassingly poor, pretty unforgivable in a game about a writer.
  • Super Metroid for the first time.  Superb game.

(also posted in the Metroid 4 thread)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Arcade bars are popular in Toronto, pay an entry fee then all machines are on free play. As me and my brother love some scrolling beat ‘em up action, we’ve worked through a few fondly remembered arcade examples from back in the day, starting with:

The Simpsons. This didn’t hold up too well, the two button control scheme doesn’t allow for much depth, the move set is extremely limited, but there was just about enough invention in enemy types and was close enough to the cartoons in style and energy to see it through. 3/5.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Another two button control scheme and limited move set, this time it unfortunately didn’t have enough invention elsewhere to make it worthwhile, TBH. 2/5

Alien Vs Predator. Now this was a treat, I never even knew it existed until we saw it running on a machine next to us. 3 button control scheme allowing for that bit more depth in your attacks, big, chunky sprites, solid action, a nice use of projectile weapons, this was great fun. 4/5.

Undercover Cop. We didn’t actually complete this one but we gave it a whirl. Quite what the undercover cop in the title refers to, I have no idea, if the protagonists are supposed to be undercover, they’re doing a very poor job of it, plus it does appear to be set in some post-apocalyptic wasteland. Still, the art style is pretty good, large detailed sprites with a hint of Mad Max around them. Another 2 button control scheme, so that may get a bit boring after a while, but overall this looked like it would be a solid 3/5.
  • Demon’s Souls

[10]

That is all.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wooo
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Demon’s Souls

[10]

That is all.

Nice!

My favourite Souls game, that, and in my All Time Top 10 (11), I think.

• Fair baws elf. Knew (bit of a lie there, Oh well) you had it in you.

Rock on a sweet Bluepoint remaster announcement at E3, por fabor.
  • Below Bloodborne for me but just above Dark 1. Demon’s was revolutionary and does some things better than Dark, like the pacing and most of the bosses. And I prefer the hub.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Nexus has yet to be bettered for mood. Still miffed this never got released outside the Japan PSN.

• Uncharted 4

Warm, amusing, and with well polished visuals. 

Couldn't be bothered with the combat in the slightest, and it ended up having less interesting set pieces overall than 2, which it seems has cast a shadow that the series will forever live under. I think at the very least they fixed the boss issue that they had with 1 and 2, and I had an enjoyable time with that fight, even if the villains never get up to much. It suffers from that incredible polish though, there is exactly one path forward and the game contrives a hell of a lot of stuff to make you follow it. Don't give your protagonist a grappling hook and then make it so he can't use the rope from it to reach his pal who is 4ft higher. The car chase was stunning, but sadly they'd shown it at e3 a few years ago so it didn't quite have the impact of the train from 2. A solid 6 or 7.
  • 3 is still my favourite, for the sheer power of the set-pieces, 2 is close though, and 4 definitely had the best combat and stealth stuff, which I enjoyed quite a bit. But it doesn't come close to the train in 2 and the burning mansion in 3.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I can't be bothered with the combat in UC. Best decision I made with 4 was turning the difficulty down a notch. There's other games to play with decent combat. They've luckily scaled it back from 2, which had you fight a god-damn army. I am not sure I'll ever get around to 3.
  • You should, it's the best Uncharted.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah UC combat is arse, hate it so much, I rinsed it on easy too. Last boss fight left a bad taste.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll just chime in as another easy mode guy for uncharted. Not worth it to stop the ride.
  • Subsurface Circular (Switch version)

By the Thomas Was Alone guy and set in the same universe. You pay a robot detective on the robots-only underground system, you pick up a case and follow it.

It's entirely dialogue trees, but the graphics behind them are to notch and the music is pretty good, as you'd expect since they got Dan le Sac in for it. Some of the best HD rumble use I've experienced, too.

Nothing mind blowing, but pretty satisfying, all-in, and a nice change. Certainly worth the £4 entry fee.

4/5
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am not sure I'll ever get around to 3.

Don’t bother. Worst of the lot.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I smell a sequence of 4 numbers
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    GoW > 2 > 1 > 3

the fk is an ascension
  • THPS 3>2>4>1
    The rest can eat a dick.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    CM 01/02 > FM16 > CM 97/98 > CM2 > FM13 > CM 00/01 > FM08 > FM07 > FM17 > CM 96/97 > FM11 > i'm bored already
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd be bored after playing one, never mind all of those.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    I'd be bored after playing one, never mind all of those.

that's about a third of them what is my life

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!