Just completed
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention the answer to the single most important question in this thread.

:D :D
  • Good assessment of ori
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I'm aware that this makes me a weirdo but I'd play an entire game of Ori escape sequences.
  • You’d be playing a game of memory then, rather than skill
  • Let's not pretend there's any more value to either.
  • Mostly memory, partly skill. You still need to execute the required movements to succeed but it's unlikely to be bested without prior knowledge of certain sections. I love stuff like that - Shovel Knight challenges do it well, as do certain autorunners/minecart stages etc. Thumper was somewhere in that vicinity on first play too. It could also explain why I've never loathed scripted QTEs.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I mean moot's obviously wrong (no real surprise there), but stuff like trials and meat boy definitely have memory and muscle memory involved too. Ori escape is too far though, the skill aspect not crisp enough.
  • I smashed them with my leet memory muscles, they felt crisp to me.
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Finally decided to make a run for the middle and do the finale. The actual confrontation is a bit of a letdown in the end, but the castle was good fun. There's still tons more stuff I could do, of course. My profile says I've played over 70 hours. I've done 64 shrines, still got a few memories to find, and many many side quests to do. Overall, it lived up to very high expectations. It absolutely is one of the greatest games ever made, and the sheer scope and quality of it are incredible. Certainly as long as there was more map to uncover I was happy to keep wandering and jumping into whatever came my way. I lost a bit of impetus towards the end, but it's something I could return to some day to mop up various stuff.

There's not much point going on about it all, especially as everyone else finished it 2 years ago, so here's 5 things that really made it for me:

1. Mountains: The combination of my desire to explore and that climbing ability made every mountain and tower irresistible. Get as high as possible, see what I can see, glide down to a point of interest. Repeat. 

2. The camera: I mean the camera in the Sheikah slate. As soon as it was introduced it changed the game for me. Suddenly there's a good reason to wander around observing the wildlife. You're not only an adventurer but also a tourist in the game world.

3. Breaking weapons: It's a brilliant idea to make everything so disposable. It really encourages you to use whatever you find instead of getting all precious about it and hoarding it for later. Hit an enemy until your weapon breaks. Pick up his weapon. Hit the next one. Liberating.

4. Leaving me alone: Who knew Nintendo would ever dare do this after forcing Navi, Fi and Boaty McBoatface on us? Someone's been playing Dark Souls, it seems, and then decided to take the idea even further. 

5. It's still Zelda: And yet despite the fact they've taken such a change of direction and clearly been inspired by other RPGs and open world games, everything in this still feels like Zelda. Most of all it reminded me of A Link to the Past. Just 100 times bigger.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    [7]?
  • Good stuff Jon. Best game ever for me after initial “it’s not Zelda as I know it” ‘disappointment’ wore off. 

What’s next? I should be done with DMC5 in a couple of days and will try and finish your Resi 7 before Sekiro, then I can post them both as well as Bayo 2 to you at same time. Take as long as you want with latter.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's up there with Dark Souls for best game ever for me. Perhaps just behind, but since nothing else has come close that's still a big deal. It really is very special. It also helped that I was getting sick of the old Zelda formula, so all the changes were welcome.

I'm going all in on Sekiro this week. I assume that will last a while. DMC 5 and Bayo 2 would be great after that. Although it might get confusing playing them back to back.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm always surprised that no one ever seems to mention the (BotW wildlife/lore/secret spoiler alert)
    Spoiler:

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well I ain't clicking that
  • I'm always surprised that no one ever seems to mention the (BotW wildlife/lore/secret spoiler alert)
    Spoiler:
    Yep. They're really well done.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That is the one moment in BotW which stuck with me as special after I gave up on the game.
  • Finally beat Hollow Knight this afternoon. Last boss was a right fucker but finally upgraded my charm slots enough to equip a decent set of charms that let me close distance and tank him hard.

Now to work out how to find the DLC content!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • @JonB ok let me know which games you want me to post and when. :)
  • I'm always surprised that no one ever seems to mention the (BotW wildlife/lore/secret spoiler alert)
    Spoiler:

At first after clicking that spiler i was like whaaaaaaaa cos i was picturing
    Spoiler:
    but yeah, i agree, breathtaking. Magic game.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @JonB ok let me know which games you want me to post and when. :)
    If you don't mind me taking a while to get to Bayo 2 then I'm happy to take them all. I'll get on DMC 5 within a few weeks, I reckon.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I smashed them with my leet memory muscles, they felt crisp to me.

Ori's last two escapes are crap because if you are awesome and execute everything correctly you will die because a random boulder will fall on you from off screen.  You have to remember to pause at certain points.  Rubbish design.
  • JonB wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @JonB ok let me know which games you want me to post and when. :)
    If you don't mind me taking a while to get to Bayo 2 then I'm happy to take them all. I'll get on DMC 5 within a few weeks, I reckon.

That’s fine, I won’t be touching Bayo 2 for a while. Gonna get back to Bayo 1 to go harder mode and try and get better medals etc.
  • Far cry 5

After a rather rocky start last year I gave up as I was constantly running some mission where you get caught and have to complete a timed kill house mission. A serious ball ache!
    Picked up where I left off 3 weeks ago and cracked on with it. The Dunia game engine really brings the world to life. The Seed family are a strange bunch though Faiths region really grew on me, but it seemed to be missing the comical side that FC4 had. Maybe I miss Pagen Min.
    I'd give it a 7/10 as their were some moments that actually shone, not many but a few.
  • Banner Saga 3. The trilogy is completed. For me probably the weakest of the three games in terms of the story. My squad was overpowered halfway through this game and combat was a breeze,if what somewhat dull. Too many fights for my liking, I just wanted it to end. The ending I wouldn't call satisfactory at all personally.

You can draw parallels with the ending of the mass effect trilogy. When you invest so much in a squad over a course of three games you need a proper ending that ties up all the loose ends (well I do). Anyway i give the trilogy as a whole a 7 out of 10.

Ps. Moot thanks for the lend, will post it back to you soon.
  • What's Left of Edith Finch Wow. Stayed clear of the hype and came as a total surprise. What a game, the best story telling this side of Eternal Champions backstory and really engaging ways of interacting with each chapter. Loved it and in time I would play again. Would be my game of whatever year it was released. Now playing Celeste which is all Meatboy kinds of fun, lapping it up.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • :) It's a good one alright.  Believe it or not it just missed my top 10 for 2017, incredibly strong year for me, but it's superb.  As is Celeste (3rd place for 2018 from me).
  • I played through Edith last night.
    It was decent, not sure if the story fully grabbed me but I did enjoy most of the little chapter bits.
    Highlight being Gregory's bath time, I want a whole VR game of it.
  • I'll have to dig out your list Moot. I don't get through many games so it's nice to do one in a sitting.

I thought Gregory's bath time was well done as was Barbara's with its horror stylings!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!