Just completed
  • Oh, the swing was good as well, that had a real sense of movement and weight to it, another one that would be fun in VR.
  • Eric wrote:
    I'll have to dig out your list Moot. I don't get through many games so it's nice to do one in a sitting.

It's not even accurate any more, I'd have Statik in the 10 for a start.  2017 was genuinely the greatest ever gaming year imo, especially if you count Hollow Knight.
  • Finch:
    Spoiler:
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Last night after 42 hours and a few incredibly sweaty boss fights, I beat Sekiro. It’s absolutely my favourite From game, for a few reasons. Mainly, it never felt tedious. Boss runs are largely a thing of the past, because it isn’t really a Souls game. It’s an action game reminiscent of the Souls series, but first and foremost it is it’s own thigh. A sprawling, cinematic action game that plays homage to Japan’s rich cultural history of film, folklore and history. There are bits in the game that feel right out of the chambara films that inspired it. I faced a foe and we both ran perpendicular to each other, swords drawn, inching close until we flashed under the moonlight. I took part in spiritual rituals, shared Sake with wise old men, swore an oath, tore through swathes of foot troops, overcame insurmountable beats, explored the occult - simply put it is a sweeping journey through multiple cultural touch stones and it carries them all off superbly.

The combat is such a massive step up from the Souls games and it’s seriously impressive. As much as i’ve enjoyed those games in the past, I’ve found the fairness of the systems dubious. Enemy attacks were frequently wonky with tracking and hitboxes, occasionally the AI seemed overturned and I rarely felt like I had the tools to fully deal with anything. Sekiro does away with all that and makes you a walking death dealer. Wolf is an immovable object, able to deflect the most gargantuan of blows without so much as a grunt and a short stagger. The game asks, demands that you as a Shinobi. You start every fight on the defensive, taking note of their attacks and learning how to counter them, then you overwhelm them with force. The poise system rewards you for being aggressive, exchanging rhythmic chains of attacks and deflections until you break their posture, allowing you to insantly kill them with a death blow. The pace is again, cinematic, with the fights ebbing and flowing betweendesperate flurries and slow considered strafing as you feel each other out. There’s no co-op because it would rob the game of its reason for existing. Shinobi don’t fight fair, they use tools and aggression to smother their opponents, but they’re loners. Wolf stalks alone, picking off stragglers, and cutting the heads off smug generals with impunity.

There’s a staggering variety of enemies to fight and tools and abilities to use, but it’s also streamlined. It’s a spectacle fight stripped down to its core essence, much like Revengeance was, but it feels much more accomplished, far more focussed. Some bosses took me three hours at a time but I rarely felt frustrated or annoyed. Instead there was a constant feeling of growth, of learning, that I knew I could do the fight without relying on reviving myself. Sometimes I needed to use a different tool, or take a new approach, but there was always a way to progress. Most of my victories cane from near perfect attempts st the fight, where I turned my opponents own force and momentum back at itself. There were times when bosses that had demolished me for hours turned up again, and I calmly dispatched them without blinking.

Sekiro is a total triumph. The best thing a game can do is live up to the promise it set out - it’s why Thumper and Slay the Spirr are so wonderful - and Sekiro fully lives up to its promise and then some. It’s brutally fair, a punishing teacher, but it leaves you feeling accomplished in a way few other games do. There’s no grinding for stats, there’s no cheap weapon upgrades, no shortcuts. It’s just you, a sword, and your persistence. It’s the best game From have ever made, and leaves its competitors in the dust.

[10]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good read that, Tempy.
  • Good write up, as a big fan of Japanese cinema, I’m loving the setting. I have felt a couple of bosses slightly tedious personally, but that’s a small complaint so far in a largely near perfect game (so far).

I hate being at work when I wanna play this. And I also hate depriving myself of sleep to play it. But that’s the way it has to be nowadays for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • From From with love.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Halo 3 for the first time in I don’t know how long. An utterly superb campaign from beginning to end. I loved what they did with the flood (as enemies rather than in the story), and there are some fantastic looking levels in there.

Overall, I do think I prefer CE. The new weapons, vehicles and abilities are great, but the game doesn’t feel as finely balanced as the original. Also, it’s certainly easier on Legendary, in large owing to the fact that brute armour can be removed permanently meaning you can headshot brutes at your leisure. I much prefer having that short window where you have to choose how to deal with a hiding, one-shot elite, that risk/reward element that was so much a part of the original. And, on an entirely aesthetic level, I’m not really a fan of the missions on Earth. Massive, inscrutable alien structures appeal to me far more.

Still, as far as variety, set-pieces and spectacle go, 3 is peerless. Those scarab fights. In fact, the whole of the level The Ark is probably one of the highlights of the whole series. There’s an achievement for doing the whole thing on foot on Legendary which was a great challenge solo, dealing with that many vehicles on foot is really tough. Collecting that is one of the highlights of my long Halo career.

So yes, I do prefer CE, but only just. The only flaws in 3 are those shown up by comparison to the original. Other than that, the game is pretty much perfect.
  • Halo 3 Legendary = seriously, how many headshots to kill elite (presumably) brutes!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Inventory and lease signing on my very own flat. Woo!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Exciting! Long term lease?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    6 months but rolling from then on. It’s owned by these guys:

http://www.thejohnroan.greenwich.sch.uk/285/the-john-roan-foundation

So I don’t expect that they’ll suddenly decide to sell it out from under me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Another world in Yoshi's crafted world. Godsam it's a herculean effort to hundo each world
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Night in the Woods

I think. I really want to give it another run through, but worry it won't be as good as the first run. I did almost everything I could in my first run, so there won't be as much interaction with characters on a second run (I guess I could do that, but it's a pretty slow game).

Was a MaeBae run in the end, stuck together | don't suck together. Really loved their story.
    Spoiler:

It's a beautiful game, it's incredibly well written. Has everything, and things never feel forced or over explained. It touches on a lot of growing into an adult and mental health issues, with a nice little story as a background. The freedom you feel when jumping around on telephone lines, the emptiness and calmness you feel when sitting on a roof or the ledge of a bridge, the fun of sharing a pizza with friends, the claustrophobic feelings in dreams, it all feels relatable and real.

Loved every bit of it.
  • I enjoy reading people's thoughts on Night in the Woods (Cosmic's avatar is happyfeels too).  I think I've said this before but even though I didn't quite love it I've got nothing but positive memories of it.  Lovely little game.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Have already restarted it.

Didn't notice it the first time around, but you encounter some characters on your first day that (I think) come back later in the story again.
    Spoiler:

Appreciated how on the first two mornings your mom will say good morning from the kitchen, it's the game teaching you she will be there every day. Nice little detail, feels like a genuine mother thing. I went for a talk with her each morning in my first play through, and didn't remember that the first two were forced.
  • I’m about to head to the library with Bea. Approximately how far through am I?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, over halfway through?

Do you know for how long you've played? How long to beat has it between 8,5 and 11 hours I think, so that might give you an idea how much there's left.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yoshi's Bastard Collectathon

I am very much a completionist. I still don't know anyone else who hundo percented watch dogs yet. There's a real compulsion and satisfaction for me in doing this. It's probably why I have such an endearment towards platformers - yr Mario 64 and Banjos do it utterly for me.
    So it was that I enthused myself (oo-er madam) upon the new Yoshi game - get them red coins, them flowers and them hearts. Job a fuckin goodun nae borrar big lad - oh you added in doggos to collect well they're good Bois so I'm on it. And then once I'd hundo'd the first world the shitty little robot said here mate find me some crap. So I found him some stuff and actually that was genuinely interesting and made me find little odds and ends in the environment that were obviously lovingly crafted by the designers.

And on we went.

World after world getting absolutely rinsed, the full hundo, the flowers exploding at the end. I even made sure to tan the bosses without getting hit. Fucked ylads right up.

And then this morning I did the end boss. Absolute skadoosh right in the old pie maker. End credits. I sat back, expecting the star world equivalent that would also get absolutely stunk up. And there it was.

But Yoshi had two more bastard traps for me.

First I had to go and do the bosses again and THIS TIME I would get flowers for my immaculate play. Not when I did the exact same bosses first time round. Teeth gritted.

But the big fuck you.

A wee robot showed up and said find me in every level ya prick. Fucking fist through the TV. I might be done with Yoshi.
  • Thats entirely indicative of the whole fucking thing.  It's sort of mean spirited.
  • I just got this yesterday. Trying to block out da haterz
  • It is sort lovely. It just becomes meaner. I’ve had some enjoyment from it.
  • If I play it getting most of the flowers, say four per stage, will I still have to backtrack en route to the credits?
  • It'll do its job for me as a palette cleanser from the rage playing fifa online gives me, and whatever other violence I choose to play.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I feel like Reg is in the wrong thread.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm in the fucking right thread and this game gets 0 out of 10
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Call yourself a completionist eh? Give ya head a wobble.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!