• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Which button is that?
  • Something to do with L2 and R3. If the credits go on for another couple of minutes they'll be genuinely longer than the last game I completed prior to this one.
  • Still going. I hope all these people got regular breaks.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hypnospace Outlaw
    After my time with the green goblin, I went back to Hypnospace, a game that totally plays to my aesthetic and my coming of age on the internet. I forgot I had bought it and had only solved the first two cases - up to Zane_Rocks. So I sat this afternoon and put another 3 hours into it, exploring, poking around, downloading malware of the highest order and ultimately seeing my way to the end of the game. There was one part where I had to consult a guide because what I had to do felt very pancake+net (hopefully someone gets that reference) but aside from that, it was just some straight up sleuthing. I wasn't a fan of all of it - the part of the game that takes place in a fantasy setting didn't quite have the nostalgia appeal that other parts of it did (Squishers!) But overall I'm a little in awe of this tiny expansive world created by this team, and this weird 90s pastiche, down to scabby wmv file downloads and feeding virtual pets. The final act of the plot did go a little off the rails for me, but the epilogue was surprisingly touching - particularly with two characters who had been, for me, played as straight up comedy. *Ending spoiler coming*
    Spoiler:
    So yeah, it's a 4-5 hour game unlike anything else out there and at present it's up there with Devil May Cry and Resi 2 as best of the year so far (third of the way in, obv) - looking at that trio I have understood I'm now "that market" of being explicitly targeted but hey, I'm loving it. I feel a little like Homer's "Nuts and Gum" though.
  • Finished Night in the Woods earlier. Very mixed feelings.

Positives first; a lot of the dialogue is great, particularly the way Mae has different ways of conversing with different people. I enjoyed the gentle exploration of her feelings, identifying with the way she struggled to articulate it, and found different ways to express it. There is a lot in there to relate to if you’ve ever returned home having been away, not been sure who you are or what do do, had depression, fallen back in with old friends, made a fool of yourself in public, pondered religion, or despaired at the life lost in living.

But...

The main problem is the whole
    Spoiler:
    sub-plot. It was totally out of place, made little to no sense, and not in a good way. My problem is not just that it was a bit meh and out of place but that it was really, really bad, and for all they tried to draw parallels to Mae’s character arc, it did not belong in this game. At all. It’s just so spectacularly ill-judged and poorly implemented.

A lot of the dialogue feels like the story was workshopped in various forms; in some, Mae is uni-student age, in another, she’s a 7 year old girl, and in another she’s in her mid-thirties. I know she’s meant to be a bit all over the place, but a lot of it reeked of multiple rewrites.

There were some general niggles, too. Often, Mae would have to be x distance from a character to initiate dialogue, but would then animate to be y distance apart for the dialogue. Given how many conversations had one, two, or even three optional extensions, this would result in a weird dance of adjust position, initiate chat, adjust position, initiate chat. In a game where one of the main bits of interaction and choice is having conversations, it’s irritating. Morning conversations with Mom insisted Mae get within two feet of Mom, retreat a foot, jump on the counter, converse, jump off the counter, get within two feet of Mom, repeat several times over until getting within two feet of Mom no longer shows the chat button. Oh, and it’s picky about which button you use to initiate these chats, for fuck-knows what reason. Quite how anyone let that kind of shit through development is anyone’s guess.

Band practice. The other bit of gameplay. Wow. Also, really poorly implemented. As far as I could tell, the button presses were never synced with the music, and the were so all over the place, I never got the chance to read any of the lyrics. Dire, pointless, also out of place with so much else.

I thought I’d done everything possible every day, but Mae’s notebook was incomplete, and I see Nina mentioning things I definitely haven’t seen. The thing is, as much as I’d like to see some things I missed, I’ll never remember which options I picked (they seemed arbitrary rather than storyline changing) and there’s so much of it that’s I frankly couldn’t be fucked being subjected to again.

There’s an 8 or 9 lurking somewhere inside Night in the Woods, but unfortunately it’s covered in shit.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished my crimes playthrough of Night in the Woods last night.

I don't get the reference in your spoiler Andy, so can't really comment on that.

The morning conversations with mom have got only jumping onto the counter the first round I think? If you engage in further conversation she'll stand in the kitchen. Can't say it annoyed me during gameplay, I quite liked the animations.

For band practice, you're just a group of friends fooling around, no one has any ambition for getting the band anywhere, so just mash some buttons if you feel like it. Or don't.
    Spoiler:

For the notebook, you can't complete in in one playthrough.
    Spoiler:

I definitely had fun during my crimes playthrough, but I'm done with the game now.
  • The reference in my spoiler is basically all the stuff with
    Spoiler:

The jumping on the counter thing, trust me, happens for additional dialogue too. I’m not making this up.

For band practice, I get that they’re just friends, but Mae’s guitar - which you are in control of - is the only bit that goes wrong. If you press buttons at the wrong time, or don’t press them at all, you get a jarring, clanging sound which would be even more objectionable to sit through than her duff notes.
  • Into the postgame of Supraland now, credits (with comedy German swing number) have happened, that's a completion of sorts. The design throughout is relentlessly good as firstperson action-puzzling has ever got, and often better. Engaging combinations of tools. Puts a bunch of titles that cost a fuckload more to put out to a kind of shame.
  • I'm so getting this. RPS was jizzing but a Brooks recco is better.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Oooo it has a demo on Steam.
  • Consciously humble presentation and not short on dumb videogame jokes but I cannot deny the sheer craft.
  • One guy too. Now that's an undiluted vision.
  • It had better be good.  I've just bought it from GmG.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Into the postgame of Supraland now, credits (with comedy German swing number) have happened, that's a completion of sorts. The design throughout is relentlessly good as firstperson action-puzzling has ever got, and often better. Engaging combinations of tools. Puts a bunch of titles that cost a fuckload more to put out to a kind of shame.

Bought it as it looks amazing. I will spam you pictures of kebabs on steam if it is shit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    holy shit this game :D
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Boughted. Put it in big screen mode on telly and the controller setup isn’t very good. May break out the steam controller to see how that works. Sure looks pretty in 4K.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    plays great on elite controller
  • You might want to look for a mouse emulation profile in Steam - that gives mouse control on right stick.  You can then navigate the menu to start the game!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    and yes it looks lovely in 4k

09416-71d2a42a-c319-4cb1-9623-1d6e56ebb5b2.png
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    You might want to look for a mouse emulation profile in Steam - that gives mouse control on right stick.  You can then navigate the menu to start the game!

Yeah got that. It’s just that the mouse cursor is super sensitive and I couldn’t see where to configure it.
  • I edited a config file to remove chromatic aberration.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So now the game won't work at all! Have had to reinstall.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    I edited a config file to remove chromatic aberration.

Where's the config file?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Reinstalled still won't work. Get to title screen, none of the options work when I click with either touchpad, mouse or controller. Having to email dev ffs. Great game!
  • Easiest thing is to search the discussions for cheomatic.

Add two lines to scalability.ini

edit: back at pc:
    [PostProcessQuality@3]
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

in 'C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Supraland\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Scalability.ini'
  • Boris, what did you mess around with before it stopped?

You can always try running it without Steam (rename steam.exe, and run 'supraland.exe' in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supraland\' (or wherever you've installed the game)) to see if it's a controller profile issue.

Or delete the local files in 'C:\Users\[insert awesome user name here]\AppData\Local\Supraland\Saved\Config\'
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just ran it (connected to my 4K tv admittedly) and just used the mouse controller config. When I tried to run it on my laptop screen it just wouldn’t get past the title screen. Dev emailed me back quickly and said to try pressing F11 or delete settings file. Will give it a bash later.
  • Some master race this

;)
  • In the Just Completed thread of all places. Completed what? Making fools of yourselves? I'm disgusted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!