EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Untitled Goose Game

HONK.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Control

It’s a Remedy game! It ends with a really good song over the credits!
    Spoiler:

Music dork shit aside, Control is pretty banging. Really hyper-kinetic shooter with a great aesthetic and narrative anchor. You explore a secret government facility called The Oldest House, HQ of the Federal Bureau of Control, a paranormal investigation unit that classifies and deals with Altered World Events and Places/Objects of Power. In Control’s world, intent can manifest in objects which imbues them with power. The telekinesis ability you get is pulled from an OoP that manifests as a floppy disk that was present in a Soviet nuclear launch silo, where it was imbued with the anxiety and desires of everyone around it that were fixated on the idea of launching something. Through this setup you get a bunch of handy third-person combat abilities that add to some already pretty nice gun play and a decent enemy roster that sees you thinking through your tactical decision fairly frequently on the fly.

The narrative hook is pretty neat too and not worth spoiling as it’s a world I think Remedy are keen to return to as they have fleshed out a lot of really nice details. It’s one of a handful of games where hunting down every scrap of lore is fun, because a lot of it is written really elegantly and makes sense in the world of Control, where a secret government facility is under siege from a malevolent frequency called the ‘Hiss’.

The absolute star of the show is the setting though, a brutalist wet dream, endless repeating cubicles and office spaces nestled inside a terrifying concrete monolith that shifts and changes at a whim. Like The Evil Within it makes great use of the fact it’s a video game, creating impossible transitions between areas, twisting corridors into weird spirals, and in probably the best set piece in a video game in recent years - a gunfight set to prog metal in a shifting, fractal smoking lounge that plays out like a cross between the action in Inception and Dr. Strange.

The only down side really is the wonky
    difficulty that spikes pretty harshly at bosses and certain enemy challenges with no real signposting over the difficulty of side quests and optional content.

If you’re a fan of Weird Fiction and the playful weirdness that video games can lean into with their non-linear environment design, coupled with some pretty electrifying combat then it comes pretty highly recommended from me. A solid 8, maybe creeping into a 9 from an aesthetic point of view.

• Not clicking on the spoiler but Remedy do select some choice credits tunes.
  • I need to get to Control at some point. Seems like the sort of thing that would be cheap fairly soon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Gears of War 5

Gears is back and bigger than ever! Which sadly ends up translating to bloated, not titanic. Two of the central Acts take the COG out of the corridors they are familiar with and drop them in quasi-open world segments where you travel by skiff from objective to objective, uncovering hidden tasks along the way. It looks nice, but it plods, which is a pretty succinct way of summing up the whole game. It feels rote, with none of the set pieces carried off with the flair of the previous games.

New enemies seem to be nothing but awkward bullet sponges with a tendency to chain you with attacks that make a few of the tougher fights a bit tedious. It’s a shame because all of the drudgery is set in really beautiful vistas. The scale is pretty immense at times, with a special mention going to the section set in a red desert dotted with fulgurite, eventually leading to a set price set in storm where you watch the structure form and crumble as you play.

The story is utterly ho-hum, and it feels like they don’t really know what to do with it, just like the game itself. Characters are witty and enjoyable enough to be around, it ultimately there feel like there are no stakes, no one to position as a primary antagonist, and the rug gets pulled on you so quickly at times that you never feel like the impact has time to settle before you’re off blowing up the next disposable thing.

Heavy 6/10 material, but at least that gunplay is satisfying.

It does seem like in the attempt to steady the old Xbox ship post that launch, they've gone for much of a muchness (with sea of thrieves an exception) to keep things ticking over. Can't imagine gears or crackdown will be tickling many goty lists and I've played them both.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Doom II (Switch)

Now I'm ready for Doom 64 in November. Also, fingers crossed for a port of Final Doom.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • COD WWII

It was great. Good solid action, with headphones in it was frankly terrifying.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well that’s your Zelda: Link’s Awakening complete. It’s up there with the best of Zelda’s. Some tricky puzzles there and one or two I had to admit actually looking up as I was dumbfounded as to how to proceed. Obviously once you see it you think how could you have missed it. However obtuse the puzzles have all the visual cues you need to solve a dungeon.

The final boss...
    Spoiler:

Overall I’m going 9/10
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    What Remains of Edith Finch - Only took me a couple of years to get around to it but played at the weekend and absolutely loved it. I thought it might be a bit too similar to Gone Home at first but that was quickly dismissed.

I played through whilst Tor watched, which is very unusual, and she really enjoyed it which I think speaks volumes for the storytelling. Living through the other characters experiences was a great idea and I particularly loved the variation in that. Some lovely warm, funny moments throughout too. Could write more but I'm sure it's all been said so I'll leave it with a recommendation that anyone with game pass that hasn't played it to do so. [9]
  • I finished Link’s Awakening last night. It was all very cute and lovely, and I largely enjoyed it, but if it really is one of the best Zelda’s, as b0r1s has just said, I don’t see me being excited to play many more, other than BotW2. I have no desire, the way I might have with some other games, to seek out the remaining collectibles; with the exception of the very final battle, you’re massively overpowered for everything else, so I really don’t see the point. I think I’ve got one toy left to get in the trendy game, but the last couple of times I checked, it wasn’t available. I’m not so excited to find out what I get for getting them all that I’ll bother.

I archived the game after finishing. Like I say, I largely enjoyed it, but I’d be very surprised if I wanted to play it a second time, like many of you are.
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts

I feel like an old man who has gorged on Haribo while watching Taylor Swift videos.
  • We have a thread for that
  • Sins of the Flesh
  • While I'm in here - Untitled Goose Game.

Most of my laughs were near the start but the kids were giggling throughout and the ending was sublime. Worth a gander.
  • And watching Taylor Swift videos is an innocent pleasure, not a sin that needs confessing.
  • The Haribo/Swift binge mix though
  • How very dare you. Gummibärchen and Swift are the perfect combination.
  • trippy wrote:
    While I'm in here - Untitled Goose Game.

Most of my laughs were near the start but the kids were giggling throughout and the ending was sublime. Worth a gander.

Duuuuude. Nailed it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Credits rolled on Untitled Goose Game. An amusing waddle animation and the comedy of being an arsehole couldn’t save this short game from outstaying its welcome.

While the visual style is good, it was all too often let down by animation, particularly the janky way that pretty much anything interacted with pretty much anything else. Given how it actually plays, I have no desire to play through again ticking off the new list, and it would take a special kind of masochist with nothing else to play to go for the timed challenges.

I’m glad it exists, I’m glad I played it, but it won’t be troubling my games of the year list.
  • It’s £18 isn’t it? Having read a few mini reviews here, think I’ll avoid it. Glad I went with Sayonara instead.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's back up to £18 I think, yep.  Launched at 25% off, oddly.  I thought it was great, but I played the whole thing with a hugely enthusiastic helper.
  • Ha, I'm not even sure if he still likes games when we play anything in co-op, he gets pissed off with everything.
  • Nope, even less enthusiastic about anything than retro.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's back up to £18 I think, yep.  Launched at 25% off, oddly.  I thought it was great, but I played the whole thing with a hugely enthusiastic helper.
    I can imagine it would be a much better experience in passenger co-op.
  • Brooks only plays couch co-op with me though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!