Just completed
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I've just finished two of the worst games like ever. First up 36 Fragments of Midnight (PS4).  Just offer absolutely nothing new to platforming, and what it delivers it does poorly.  Random world generation, which basically involves randomly stitching together about half a dozen rooms.  Negligible variation.  And the platforming is shit.  And the UI etc. is rubbish.  And it's indefensibly short really - there's a trophy for completing the whole game in under six minutes.  I don't think even @moot_geeza would defend it.  Shambles. [4]. And then Midnight Deluxe (PS4), which was kinda a golf game.  But it was even worse than the above.  Insta-death, hard to judge power, random bouncing cos you're a square, shit level design.  Just awful.  70 levels long, I was bored after 20, and rather bizarrely got the platinum after 40 cos it's just desperate to give out trophies.  Utter shambles.  [3].

Nearly bought both of those on Vita a few years back.  I'll stick to Midnight Resistance then, but I'm still half convinced I'd enjoy a golf platformer.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Prey: Mooncrash

It's impressive they managed to do so much with such an apparently meager budget after how poorly the base game sold. Definitely had my fill by the time I'd finished the simulation but it was a thrilling experiment in roguelike-lite in an immersive sim.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Prey: Mooncrash

It's impressive they managed to do so much with such an apparently meager budget after how poorly the base game sold. Definitely had my fill by the time I'd finished the simulation but it was a thrilling experiment in roguelike-lite in an immersive sim.

Prey was a banger - shame the game didn’t sell. Pray for Prey.
  • It's weird it didn't sell well too. It's not like it wasn't a fun shooter at heart.
  • I remember it was a particularly busy time for games and there was a lot of talk about it not being “Prey”. Seemed to kinda be good outta nowhere at the time - I bought it off the back of the demo, but probably wouldn’t have tried it otherwise.
  • I loved the previous Prey and even though I knew it wasn't connected to that one I bought it because of the name.
  • Looks like Stranger's Wrath on PC resets the difficulty when loading a previous savegame after starting Stranger. FFs

I was wondering why later bosses weren't as hard as the console versions. Been rushing through it to get to the problematic bosses and yup, they are still tough on PC. Previously, I was suspsecting they'd toned a few down for the PC release.

So if you play on Hard difficulty, PS3 is probably the best version - unless you want to play it all the way in one go (or at least not shutting Stranger or the PC down in between sessions).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flora and I cleared Luigi's Mansion 3 100% with all Boos and gems. What a lovely co op experience it was. I'm not sure I would have had the patience to do switching characters in single player, but as a 2p game, it's a delight, and the puzzles are just daft enough to keep going. Some dubious bosses and two worlds that sucked (namely
    Spoiler:
    ones) but the rest was a delight, constantly wondering what would come next.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished Q.U.B.E. 2 (Bone) last night. Kinda more of the same - 3d physics-y puzzles, using cubes, with daft overriding sci-fi plot. Reasonable curve and amount of content, levels make you think a bit but not too much, a comfortable [7]. Recommended if you like ya puzzlers, but not if you don't, basically.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also played through Donut County (PS4). Another physics-y puzzler in a way, but more like Katamari in spirit. An amusing racoon, fairly short, game play more 2d than 3d, very indie, a stingy [6].
  • 4.Man of Medan - 6 Hours - 4/10 - PS4 PRO

Really, really disappointing. Really enjoyed Until Dawn and so thought I’d pick this up at some point and wish I hadn’t. Story was rubbish, looked good but was technically rather woeful, lots of odd loading screens and jumping between scenes due to choices, and then it just ended. Such a disappointment. Got a few jump scares but wouldn’t recommend this to anyone.
  • That’s a shame, quite fancied picking that up on the cheap
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We are playing it with Mr and Mrs Elm every time we see each other and fuck if we can remember what's going on - played it with them last week and couldn't remember what was what.

You don't have that with Until Dawn because it's just insanity.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    We are playing it with Mr and Mrs Elm every time we see each other and fuck if we can remember what's going on - played it with them last week and couldn't remember what was what.

You don't have that with Until Dawn because it's just insanity.

I’d like you to finish it. But I’d like you to stop right away because it was just so so awful.
  • I watched a stream of people playing Man of Medan, and it was indeed so fucking awful. They did a stupid run where they tried to get everyone killed, but ended up with just the two brothers. I think it was the first ending shown here -

That's the stupidest fucking shit, one of them decides to go back into the crazy ship and try his luck, and the other gets on a little boat to drift about. They hug and are like 'alright bye then', it's fucking nonsense.
  • Witcher 3: Heart of Stone

All in all I enjoyed this despite being set in the same map as the existing game. Some of it felt more gamey in so much as the boss battles felt like boss battles rather than organic monster hunts but I enjoyed the quests and felt they did something new to the main game. I liked the story and the characters. It was good stuff. Not sure how much value I'd of felt I'd of gotten paying extra for it. 8 out of 10.
    The Forum Herald™
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Looks like Stranger's Wrath on PC resets the difficulty when loading a previous savegame after starting Stranger. FFs I was wondering why later bosses weren't as hard as the console versions. Been rushing through it to get to the problematic bosses and yup, they are still tough on PC. Previously, I was suspsecting they'd toned a few down for the PC release. So if you play on Hard difficulty, PS3 is probably the best version - unless you want to play it all the way in one go (or at least not shutting Stranger or the PC down in between sessions).

Quick update (if anyone is bothered about playing Hard on PC):

Not sure what causes the difficulty to reset. Some of my saves load at expected difficulty and some don't. What I can say that starting a new game on Hard and then immediately loading a previous save as soon as the cut-scene finishes loads the save game at Hard. This works for region saves - not sure it works 100% for other saves.
    However, I've also got some saves from later in the game that load at Hard without this start a new game method.

Or maybe it's because I was on W7 before and things are working like they should now I've joined the dark side - no idea.
  • 5.Infamous: Last Light - 3 Hours - 6/10 -PS4 PRO

Not a bad game, remembered really enjoying Second Son so when I saw this cheap I thought why not. Like the Infamous universe and series so immediately enjoyed the little story, gameplay and abilities on show, but, the controls absolutely sucked being a southpaw, that really brought the score down for me. Still looks stunning even now and have no idea how much it cost at release but even for a tenner to finish it in one sitting was a disappointment. Hope there’s more from this universe though as it is good fun.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    5.Infamous: Last Light - 3 Hours - 6/10 -PS4 PRO

but, the controls absolutely sucked being a southpaw, that really brought the score down for me.

You can change any controls on ps4 settings.

Also it was free on ps+.
  • Bloodroots done. Some issues, but mostly it's a big thumbs up. I can imagine some crazy runs being possible by people with more skill than me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shout out to lefties everywhere o love ya
  • 6.Vanquish - Remaster - 8 Hours- 10/10 - Xbox One X

What a game, what a remaster, 4K @ 60fps, stunning. One of the best games of its gen, bettered and more awesome than ever. Been excited ever since I heard about the remaster so picked it up as soon as I’d heard it’d dropped. Such a great game, movement, range of weapons, level and enemy designs, great cover system, it’s just all magnificent. Still looks incredible, great artwork and simplicity never gets old. Absolutely loved playing through this again and can’t think of a single negative.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hell fuckin yeah
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dyin' Lite

That final stretch where you're running for your life through the sewers then climb multiple skyscrapers to get to some mouthy dickhead was very well paced and put together. Great way to force a player to burn through everything they've been stockpiling.
  • 7.Anthem - 8 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox One X

Hmm...well, it was all bad, then kinda good, then lots of good bits, but no narrative or any other means to pull it all together, it’s just a lot of good ideas, good weapons, awesome movement and stunning looks all thrown into a void without character, charm, wit, it all just exists in a weird vacuum. Such a shame as had they created half a world as interesting as Destiny with Anthem additions it could have been a mainstay for years, instead after finishing the main...story...I’m more than done with it. For the few quid it can be picked up for it’s worth it, but it could have been worth so much more.
  • My first impression and remark upon seeing the reveal at a past E3 was that it looked like some 'design-by-committee corporate wank', or something to that effect.
  • Doom3 BFG ed. (win10)

It's glorious playing this now with maxed out settings @120fps even though my monitor is only 60Hz.
    Gameplay still holds up even if it feels a lot easier than back in the day.

Next: Halo MCC
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Control (BoneX)

Despite its incoherence, offered up a coherent whole, and a fun experience for the most part. The final "boss" nearly shat the bed with tedious checkpointing, but I think it clings on to an [8]. Zany sci-fi physics FPS FTW.
  • 8.Dead Space - 8 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox One X Spruced

Still just perfect. Just fancied playing it for some reason and man am I glad I did. Absolutely everything is spot on. And it literally just came out of nowhere. Still gets quite a few jumps out of me too...Not sure how much work the X was doing but it looked fabulous and the sound was still tremendous. Now I simply have to play the second. But not the third. If only they’d make another entry.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!