Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just jumping in here having worked with a number of different clients and agencies you are best to purchase/setup the following yourself:

Domain names
    Google accounts (analytics Adwords etc )
    Email hosting

You can leave the rest to the dev

Like others have said don't give the dev wireframes and don't think that pure look and feel are important. Usability is key for any site to succeed. I consistently battle with clients trying to explain that look and feel are subjective, but certain fundamental UI layouts are vital for the success of any website. Think about the major sites you visit. Does the look and feel (i.e. Colours fonts etc) really stop you using the site? For some reason once a client gets to make a decision on a site it is usually these things that they fixate on cos I'm guessing that is what they understand

Anyway rant over I'll get back to my holiday :-)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Here you go MK

XYUpQqi.png
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    They even do mobile sites

JvDJkDZ.jpg
  • Holy hell. That's as bad as I've seen.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    So after a brilliant chat this morning with @Mod74 I have decided to move from WordPress and go with Drupal. So far so good as I am watchng a load of videos and reading up on the forums. Im a lot more confident with it all now.....I think.

Anyway just a quick question really? I am on 123 reg and they have that one click install for Drupal, Is this alright to use and the only two options I get are Drupal CMS or Drupal 7. I take it if I pick 7 then it will just update to the latest version?

Im thinking I will make the site on Drupal offline and continue updating my WP site for now and then when the time comes, Look into importing my wp content to Drupal. That way I can get help before it all goes live.
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'd be careful about just pressing a one click install. It could overwrite your existing Wordpress so don't do it until you're ready.

When you are ready install this module on your local set up.

https://drupal.org/project/backup_migrate

And create a database back up file using the link under Configuration. It'll create a (.gz) file you download like any other.

Then use the123 installer to install and set up Drupal. You want 7. The "Drupal CMS" option is probably Drupal 6. A lot of installers keep the option to put it up as it's still popular.

Then you need to go into FTP and copy the entire contents of:

sites/default/files
    sites/all/themes
    sites/all/modules

on your local machine to the same directory on the live server. DO NOT copy the /default settings.php file. You need to keep the live one the installer creates as that's the one that tells your live site where your database is and the logins for it.

Usually the file is protected anyway so you can't accidentally overwrite it, but don't try to just to be on the safe side.

Once you upload sites/all/modules go into the Modules section on the live site and enable Backup and Migrate. Go into the settings for that via Configuration again but this time select the Restore tab. Browse to the back up (.gz) file you made earlier and upload it and then press the Restore button.

It'll have a think about it for a few seconds and then when it finishes click the Home button. You should find your local site recreated online.

There's more advanced ways of managing moving databases from offline to online with things like a Ying/Yang system but in your case I think you should be fine just moving the database up/down as and when needed.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Also, once you have Backup and Migrate installed go to the main Configuration>>File System and see if there's a "private" file storage location set up. Usually installers set this up for you but if it hasn't use FTP to create a "private" folder under default/files and then go back to Configuration>>File System and tell Drupal where the folder is (just use the same format it shows for public files)

Once Drupal knows where to store Private files go back to the Backup and Migrate UI and use the Scheduler tab to tell it to create a copy of the database on a regular interval. I usually set it to back up every day and keep 30 days worth of files, but it's up to you how often it runs and how many to keep.
  • Right i've been quoted this; 

Admin Panel + Web API (ASP.Net): $1000 ( 25 Working Days) First Platform Cost : $3600 (iphone) (42 Working Days) Second Platform Cost : $3000 (Android) (40 Working Days) Third Platform Website (ASP.NET) : $1600 (42 Working Days)

Does anything here sound over priced or is it all relative to my needs I suppose? (how much should a house cost? well how big is it? etc)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Is that just for programming? Or does it include design work as well. I take it that's just for the app as I don't see any website costs there.

How are they handling publishing?
  • Hi Mod, 

no design costs and the sdk is Xamarin
    whats publishing? I.e. what should i be asking?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You need a developer licence to publish an app, if they publish it under theirs then presumably they receive the income on it. I dunno much about that side tbh, it might be possible to funnel money to different accounts based on which app generated it. I doubt it, but you might be able to. If not then you want to make sure they're paying you for what's been sold in a timely manner.

Are they then going to handle bugs users find and updates based on feedback? I'm assuming that's extra. Reviewers seem to get quite ansty if apps aren't regularly updated.
  • cheers mod, i've put that back over
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Right i've been quoted this;  Admin Panel + Web API (ASP.Net): $1000 ( 25 Working Days) First Platform Cost : $3600 (iphone) (42 Working Days) Second Platform Cost : $3000 (Android) (40 Working Days) Third Platform Website (ASP.NET) : $1600 (42 Working Days) Does anything here sound over priced or is it all relative to my needs I suppose? (how much should a house cost? well how big is it? etc)

For me, there's not to much to say about that, but I'd personally prefer a Java (or what have you) build to a .net build, and would want the devco to technically justify their mobile app development prices.

As for the timescales, they are more than fair. What you've described would be hard work afterall.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Hold on. They're saying its 42 days work to create an iOS app on Xamarin then another 40 days to make a build of that app on Android? Sounds pretty suss to me.

I'd want to know, if they're using cross-platform technology, why it takes so long to make an app for both.
  • "No licence needed as they can white label using their developer licence as that's what the SDK is for. Bugs would be worked out prior to release and any amendments can be made via updates charged at an hourly rate of about £8-£14."

@ mod that was the feedback on publishing and bug testing.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Hold on. They're saying its 42 days work to create an iOS app on Xamarin then another 40 days to make a build of that app on Android? Sounds pretty suss to me. I'd want to know, if they're using cross-platform technology, why it takes so long to make an app for both.

This, basically.
  • monkey wrote:
    Hold on. They're saying its 42 days work to create an iOS app on Xamarin then another 40 days to make a build of that app on Android? Sounds pretty suss to me. I'd want to know, if they're using cross-platform technology, why it takes so long to make an app for both.

will check that with them later - cheers
  • Post what they say and we'll run it through the forum bullshit detector. There might be a plausible reason but the idea of a cross-platform development environment is to allow you to use the same code for both apps. There's still some work involved if you're transferring the app to a new platform but taking basically the same length of time as coding it from scratch sounds dubious.
  • got quite a moody response when I put over monkey's request. The phrase "sus" didn't go down well.
  • Yeah, asking a question with regards to someone's business practices and not insulting them can be difficult.
    Probably would have been an idea to avoid the word sus.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I need help, 

I want to put together the companies in the verticals i sell to in a size/scale order. Inspired somewhat by this. However the companies I will be listing don't generally have subsidary's. I'm more thinking large, medium and small. What would be the best way to diagramatise this and what software (free and easy) should i use? Otherwise i'll just end up pissing around putting company logos in paint. 

ten_biggest_food_companies.jpg
  • right, i think I can do this in Word in smart art -> hierarchy or something.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I know nothing about websites.

I have paid for www.leemac-design.co.uk for 5 years nad I would like to get just a single page up there that says 'coming soon' or such.

What is involved?

EDIT: Why the fuck is the link linking back to this thread?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah... That's more of a graphic design job, than a web one. You should try that creative thread instead.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    I know nothing about websites. I have paid for leemac-design.co.uk for 5 years nad I would like to get just a single page up there that says 'coming soon' or such. What is involved?

Not much, if you already have a web host...
  • its not quite working
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    I know nothing about websites. I have paid for leemac-design.co.uk for 5 years nad I would like to get just a single page up there that says 'coming soon' or such. What is involved?
    Not much, if you already have a web host...
    Erm....

What's a web host?
  • mk64 wrote:
    got quite a moody response when I put over monkey's request. The phrase "sus" didn't go down well.
    Haha! Only just seen this. Oh well, it's a legit question and, although they may have been a put out by the phrasing, if they haven't answered it, then fuck them. They need to provide answers to legit questions regardless of how the client might phrase things. I've never worked for any business that would turn down work over something like the word 'sus' being in an email. They're either very touchy or don't have the answer to give.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    I know nothing about websites. I have paid for www.leemac-design.co.uk for 5 years nad I would like to get just a single page up there that says 'coming soon' or such. What is involved? EDIT: Why the fuck is the link linking back to this thread?

Hi Moto

Drop me a PM and I'll sort you a one pager, HTML5, looking good and responsive for mobile, I just need a logo, some copy (what you do, email address etc) and maybe some images. No charge.

You'll need to get some hosting (cheap enough for now you could try something like this: https://www.123-reg.co.uk/web-hosting/). Depending on your final full website you may have to pay more, I would expect around £10 ish a month for a server that can handle PHP and a MySQL database (required for CMS based websites).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!