Creating a website
  • Stop encouraging amateurs to dabble, Mod! That way madness and really poor design lies!
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • and whats the best website to use for buying a domain name? do I need any other features?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I like Gandi.

You'll probably want some hosting, too.
  • Blimey, there's a question. Thousands of decent companies doing that. If you've a developer hooked in, might be best to leave them to it. They'll have favourites they work with all the time.
  • well my thoughts are;

register the domain name, 
    register the company name
    sort out a developer for website and app 

in that order no? 

aj - whats hosting? and why do i need it? (sorry for being a simpleton)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    A domain is in a sense the directions to get to where you reside, you reside on a host, which is just a computer on the network but is essential for email and having a website which you could call your house, squire.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Hosting is the server the website lives on. Registering the company is the last thing you want to do. Wait until you've proved it'll work first. On the whole, people source a developer before registering the domain, but it doesn't really matter what order you do those in.
  • To add to what beano said, you'll almost certainly use different servers for hosting and email, though they may well come from the same company (as may the domain).
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah registering is a bit of a twat. So much work in the past has resulted in registering more than a handful of names progressively down the dev process when one would've done at the end, when they're content. Clients rarely have fixed ideas.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I've got three domains I bought in a fit of stupidity before they were needed that'll probably never get used. Bloody waste of sixty quid.
  • Try ukhost4u.co.uk if you want to arrange hosting yourself mate. I've always used them and they've been very good so far. But I would recommend leaving it to your dev.
  • Yeah, registering everything is piss easy for people that know what they're doing, so pretty much any dev worth their salt will do that for you.
  • I have a strong idea/name which wont change. Should i not just go and get one of those site names and hosting? Can you go wrong with hosting?
  • also are there any diagrams about domains and hosting? I'm more of a visual person and can't quite see how this works from the descriptions. :S

really appreciate the help/intention so far though!! xxx
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    You don't need a drawing, you just need to know you need both.

As others have said it's probably better to let someone knows what they're doing buy them for you. Have you checked that your app idea doesn't already exist?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    If you want a drawing tho mk

browser-infographic-comic.jpg
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You don't need a drawing, you just need to know you need both. As others have said it's probably better to let someone knows what they're doing buy them for you. Have you checked that your app idea doesn't already exist?

there might be, albeit doubtful, but my site will need log in and payments etc so i'm interfacing with an app. 

I get others have said that, i'm just wondering why I need someone else to buy the domain and hosting for me? I'll go to a site and have a look around, i was just hoping for some quick info here first.
  • ok so when i've gone to a domain registration site its given me yearly options, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc what happens after it "expires"? After 2 years into paying upfront for 3 years can I secure it for another 10?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    No offence, but it sounds like you need to do some research to work out the novelty and potential of the idea.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yep- you get the chance to renew/extend as and when you want.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What are you planning to do MK?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Its a spin on something out there but from the googling i've done today no one is really doing it or in my way. Its not totally inventive but its got legs, cheap to set up and maintain. 

I think it seems i need to do this order
    Register company name
    Then register domain
    Then speak to developer
    Get them to choose the hosting
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    On the most elementary level, is it a shop/catalogue, or an index/publication?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    ok so when i've gone to a domain registration site its given me yearly options, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc what happens after it "expires"? After 2 years into paying upfront for 3 years can I secure it for another 10?

Please don't register the domain just anywhere. Have a word with whoever is building the site first.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Can I buy stuff from it, basically?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Why do you need to be a company first?

FYI, start up expenses incurred for up to two years before officially registering a company can be put against any tax bill.
  • @beano 

Im not looking for something novel. I'm taking the twitter ceo approach of finding something that people do regularly and streamlining it to make it easier, quicker and more efficient than anyone else is doing.
  • mod, when I looked at the criteria for what Info I will need to register a domain it said I will need the company name. 

and "Please don't register the domain just anywhere. Have a word with whoever is building the site first."

but why?
  • Company names don't have to be registered for that.

Right at this moment I'm drawing a logo for the second site from a business I'm doing with a couple of people (who have run companies before). We haven't yet registered the company or a domain name for it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    mod, when I looked at the criteria for what Info I will need to register a domain it said I will need the company name.  and "Please don't register the domain just anywhere. Have a word with whoever is building the site first." but why?

Because some companies can be right dicks if you want to use a different host than the stuff they offer. You could end up getting locked into something unsuitable or expensive. You can register a domain in your name and update the record to a company name later on if you want to.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!