Pro Wrestling
  • The thing with WWE is I think for 95 percent of their work which is on normal tv and trying to be children friendly they almost alway default to the cutaway for actual violence. I think afterwords they can see something is okay but you can tell they are actively trying to circumvent the argument of lingering on violence by making the direction far more snappy. I guess in a PPV setting they can be freer but it’s obviously going to have to undo maybe 12 shows of conservative muscle memory for every PPV.
  • Perhaps, but in this instance I think it's just that a Rumble has a tonne of stuff going on all the time, which makes it hard to cut.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • As someone who watches 5 hours of their TV product a week, I don't think that's really true crayon.
  • I haven’t watched as much as you but it seemed noticeable to me in the last few matches I watched in the last few weeks. They do a lot of quick cuts for my eyes.

I think I’m phrasing it wrong. It’s not a cutaway but it’s swapping to a different angle but a less close angle say.
  • Aye, they do that a lot.
  • just catching up with this thread out of mild curiosity what happened in the rumble. needless to say i have no idea really, but glad you all seemed to enjoy it! :)
    i guess with the camera work, when you've got huge guys pretending to drop each other on their heads, it's wise to go with a wider shot first to make sure it wasn't botched (one way or the other) before going for the brutal close up.

can't believe Bill Goldberg still wrestles, he was shot when i used to watch WWE back in 2000s.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for it, because that would require more coordination and scripting than is humanly possible, but the current vogue does certainly seem to be to cut angles in the middle of a bump.
    This will be for a multitude of reasons. It's more dynamic. You're hopefully cutting to the optimal angle that sells the bump. Avoiding obvious botches. That sort of thing. 
    Even with it's "scripted" nature, it's an incredibly hard thing to cover well, and the crews generally do an incredible job. They're probably also shooting tighter in the Thunderdome to mask the lack of crowd, but the tighter you shoot, the greater the chance of missing important stuff as it happens. The Rumble would be the obvious worst case scenario for this as there is so much going on simultaneously.
    All that being said, last night, for whatever reasons, they were just a bit off.
  • Where was the fiend?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • This may not be 100% correct, but the gist is The Fiend is currently dead but can still possess Alexa.

Really fun catch up read, this thread!  Really good show on the whole too.  

Geez I can't believe Bobby Lashley and Torrie Wilson are 44 and 45 respectively.  But the king of not ageing has to be R Truth wtf

tbl5dlbaa3v31.png?auto=webp&s=1c021ee5bd1a4262d682cbbd11b3b06e5ec6426d
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • As someone who's childhood hero was John Cena, he can't be that old.
  • Haha!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I'm five minutes into the tag team battle royal that is kicking off Dynamite this week and the cameras have already missed the first two spots of the match. I get that there's 20 folk in the ring but c'mon!

It's not just wwe who suck at this
  • Are we at the point of the convo the weird daft zooms in and out at the point of a bump are being brought up? Cos that is the single reason I just cannot watch eh rasslin, specifically wwe, any more. Feel like I'm going to be sick with it. I dunno when it happened, mid-2000s I guess, but they never used to do it.

I dunno, maybe someone less facetious than I can break it down.
  • Right, guy does a suplex, when the other guy hits the canvas it's quick zooms in and out from the cameraman on the floor. Every time, it happens. Maybe it hasn't for a while, I dunno. But it's so annoying.
  • Are we at the point of the convo the weird daft zooms in and out at the point of a bump are being brought up? Cos that is the single reason I just cannot watch eh rasslin, specifically wwe, any more. Feel like I'm going to be sick with it. I dunno when it happened, mid-2000s I guess, but they never used to do it.

I dunno, maybe someone less facetious than I can break it down.

AEW also do that and it is indeed the shits.
  • Did Sting always come to the ring in a velvet bathrobe?
  • Right, guy does a suplex, when the other guy hits the canvas it's quick zooms in and out from the cameraman on the floor. Every time, it happens. Maybe it hasn't for a while, I dunno. But it's so annoying.
    Thats the shock wave caused by the incredible suplex.

Not sure when the wwe started doing this but it is awful. Particular awful if someone gets a hot tag and does a run of quick knockdown.

SFV - reddave360
  • I can't say I've noticed this. Is there a particular match (or at least timeframe) any of you can recall seeing this? I watched a match from Feb last year on Youtube, and didn't notice it happening.
  • Oh, they've been doing this for a few years Dante. I don't watch WWE often, but as a cameraman, I notice it all the time when I am watching.
  • Did it happen on the Rumble show? (ignoring the rumbles themselves, which as we established were car crashes)
  • Dunno. Probably, but the Rumble is so chaotic it's hard to remember.
  • https://youtu.be/_Fabge-5WaQ

This is from 2018 but at about 12:20 Sonia Deville kicks Bailey in the face. I'm really surprised you don't notice it Dante.
  • That was just the first video that came up on YouTube when I searched for wwe. It took about 2 seconds to find an instance of it happening which I guess says it all.
  • Is that it? I was expecting something particuarly egregious but it's just, zooming in to the action. Whether it's zooming out depends on what's happening. Like there is a bit where Sasha does the Meteora, and it zooms in for that and stays tight, because they don't separate.

A quick look online confirms this to be A Thing, but I've been watching their programming weekly for over a decade and it's never bothered me. Even where you specifically pointed it out it's just .partridgeshrug to me.
  • That wasn't the best example to be fair just the first I found.

This one is *chef's kiss* though. It has everything.

A million cuts, pointless zooms in and out, and points to the wrestlemania sign.

Should start at 27 seconds. Seth Rollins taking out Triple H.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=27&v=4mgPTIrfjYc&feature=youtu.be

The super kick, seth bouncing off the ropes, and triple H going through the ropes all get the really fast zoom in and out treatment in the space of about five seconds.
  • Yeah, it doesn't bother me, but I can certainly see how it would annoy others. I tend to just appreciate it for the skill it requires to do all that mad zoomy hand-held stuff, but my perspective is obviously going to be a bit different on this sort of thing.
  • I assume they do it to make things seem more impactful? I find it distracting from what's going on and rather than making moves seem more impactful it just hides what happened.

Next time you're doing the football do a cheeky wee zoom in and out on the player's foot when they have a shot at goal
  • Lately that’s probably to take as much camera time away from the weird digital crowd as possible.

I mean the digital crowd is better than no crowd but you know.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!