Pro Wrestling
  • Hit Man Hollis botched his finisher "The Cinch."
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That Darby Allin bump was ridiculous. I dont get why AEW pushes this type of thing so much. Its fucking too reckless for its own good.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, someone will legit break their back or neck doing this shit that is just not required. Stings last match is all that's needed to make it memorable.
  • Wait a sec, is that guy actually using the stunner as a finisher? This is Stone Cold erasure and I won't stand for it.
  • Watched Stings retirement match again last night and it's just magic. When he popped up after going through the table and then fired up after no selling the super kicks I felt like I could run through a wall for him.

Darby is a mad man and his dive off the ladder fucking ruled, it just did. Absolutely terrifying watching him do it but it did serve a purpose (in the stupidest way possible) to believably take him out the match and isolate Sting until the finish. Darbys Topé is also the best one, Punk was right when he said everyone else should stop doing it. It's just a bullet.

Gonna give Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston a rewatch again tonight as that was the other match I really loved from revolution. Eddie is a great seller and Danielson is incredible as the cocky arrogant bully that'll slowly just destroy you.

Also loved this promo they cut afterwards. Just great emotional stuff from both of them that feels real.

I don't know how to embed videos with timestamps so this link to youtube will do https://youtu.be/mkPKGzxo4Nc
  • Frosty wrote:
    Watched Stings retirement match again last night and it's just magic. When he popped up after going through the table and then fired up after no selling the super kicks I felt like I could run through a wall for him.

Darby is a mad man and his dive off the ladder fucking ruled, it just did. Absolutely terrifying watching him do it but it did serve a purpose (in the stupidest way possible) to believably take him out the match and isolate Sting until the finish. Darbys Topé is also the best one, Punk was right when he said everyone else should stop doing it. It's just a bullet.

Gonna give Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston a rewatch again tonight as that was the other match I really loved from revolution. Eddie is a great seller and Danielson is incredible as the cocky arrogant bully that'll slowly just destroy you.

Also loved this promo they cut afterwards. Just great emotional stuff from both of them that feels real.

I don't know how to embed videos with timestamps so this link to youtube will do https://youtu.be/mkPKGzxo4Nc

I thought there were 5 absolute crackers on it. I loved Ospreay v Konosuke and the three way. Some real good drama in the latter.
  • TNT match very enjoyable Christian's just bloody brilliant. Garcia looked fantastic, just a shame about the mistimed interference on the finish.

I don't get Eddie Kingston, but his match against Bryan was a cracker.

The 8 man match was a mess. When there was just wrestling going on it was fine, then everyone kept stopping to do a spot. There was one lad who had a torrid time with the ropes as well, thankfully he escaped unscathed.

OC v Strong was pretty damn good, and brutal without ever needing to go hardcore. Both guys are great, would be well up for a rematch.

FTR v BCC, loved the Road Warriors entrance. I'm assuming that was a blade job from Dax, given the finish. Very old school feeling match, in a good way.
    Q
    Toni v Deonna Purazzo was made for me. Timeless Toni is such a brilliant gimmick, and Purazzo was amazing in TNA. Toni's entrance was *chefs kiss*.

Bruv v Japanese Man. No idea who this guy is, he doesn't look like a salaryman, so he can't be that good. (He was that good). Nasty bruise on Ospreay, how he kept going after I don't know.

The World Title 3 way, bah God. I fucking love Joe. JR calling this made it feel a really big deal. Breakout performance from Swerve.

And here it is. In my eyes, the greatest professional wrestler in the history of the sport takes to the ring for the final time. The team with Darby Allen has been a beautiful coda to his career. His sons as surfer and wolfpac Sting was awesome.

That fucking glass spot from Darby. Sting no selling the table spot then getting thrown through the glass! The Bucks being absolutely obnoxious!

I'm not crying, you're crying.
  • I’m throwing roses at this AEW malarkey right now. Dynamite was ace. I love Okada and the bucks together. Swerve and Joe are being class, and they set up Ospreay and Danielson. Number 1 and 2 wrestlers of the last 5 years. I’ll give you all the money for that business. Some 2019 vibes going on.
  • Drew is killing it.

• "look at your son mama Rhodes"

The best. The rock is the god damn best and after seeing the rock bloody up Cody last night I want to see the rock vs Cody Rhodes. Might be a bit of a problem that I don't care all that much about seeing Cody vs Roman anymore but I bet they over book the hell out of it and make it fun on the night.

That CM Punk promo was also fantastic. Him calling out the Rock was thrilling and I now need to see that as well. Loved his exasperation and annoyance at total fanny Seth Rollins coming out as well as that's how I felt seeing him. He's rubbish and punks final line about making them interesting was 1000% accurate.

Drew was decent fun here as well tbf.

Also all the swearing and getting some blood was awesome.

• is wrestling better or worse than 5 years ago?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    is wrestling better or worse than 5 years ago?

Aew seems to be going through a bit of a slow spot (according to some anyway) so maybe not as exciting as that first year but obviously it's now much more established and much bigger. WWE seems to be better but I don't watch enough of it as the key problem remains - waaaay too much of it to get into consuming it. RAW could be good to great each week but 3 hours is a barrier I can't get over.
    SFV - reddave360
  • If you pirate it, it's about 2 hours 10 minutes, and you can guarantee that there are recaps that you can skip to bring it under 2 hours. It's still too long, when it's bad it's a slog, but even when it's good you'll get to a point where you feel it should be ending and then remember this isn't the main event.

5 years ago is a weird point of comparison, because it arguably got worse, then better in the timeframe. The pandemic obviously not helping.
  • My memories of 3 hour raw (and its been a while) was so much filler. Outside of commercial reasons there is no need for a 3 hour weekly wrestling show (arguably the ppvs don't need this length of time but at least there used to be a sense to the why they are longer)

Sometimes I catch aew dynamite on TV at night when I get home from work and I think they struggle with the show length as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • how wuold you all change the weekly episodes? 

You want them shorter so would you make the maches shorter or reduce the talent on the roster? You obvioulsy have to keep people happy
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • They certainly don't use it well. I always thought there was a case for having part of the 3 hours being a traditional sports analysis to help with the drag. I think from a creative viewpoint there is no justification for the length though.

Wrestling needs more one hour shows.
  • mk64 wrote:
    how wuold you all change the weekly episodes?  You want them shorter so would you make the maches shorter or reduce the talent on the roster? You obvioulsy have to keep people happy

I'd stop recapping the entirety of The Rock's last appearance for a start.
  • It was too long even when it wasn't. This is 20 years back.
    The worst thing that could happen at the start was an opening match. Because that meant the main event would be a 20 minute promo with maybe a stunner or a choke slam at the end if you were lucky. But if they had the 20 minute promo at the start, with adverts, it would be about half an hour in before you saw any wrestling.
  • monkey wrote:
    But if they had the 20 minute promo at the start, with adverts, it would be about half an hour in before you saw any wrestling.

• mk64 wrote:

Is this a serious question? Roman Reigns was getting covered in dog food five years ago
  • Frosty wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Is this a serious question? Roman Reigns was getting covered in dog food five years ago

We also had KofiMania, Becky 2 belts, the debut of The Fiend, NXT on fucking fire and WALTER v Pete Dunne before we even consider other companies.
  • I just don't think the effort is put into the segments to justify the time each one gets. I remember Brucd Prichard saying how amazing the wwe writers were producing 5 hours of telly but really they aren't even close. Between entrances, promos, General ring work (pretty certain the most the writing does there is detail key moments that need to happen) I reckon they produce only about an hour. There's also lots of long pauses in segments and while some are there to get the crowd on a lot just feels like ways to eat up time.

I love the idea of adding more sports style stuff to it. I know wrestling exists in a bullshit world but they still need to build that world and I think that's what both companies fail to do. Back in the 80s the in ring might be bobbins but it felt like it's own crazy world. All the key focus was on winning a sporting competition and then maybe becoming the champion (when new guys debuted a lot of them would do generally call outs to whomever the champs were)

SFV - reddave360
  • the pre-shows for ppv are mental. I think the rumble preshow is one match and about 6 hours or something? I only ever watch the proper day of wrestling/ppv's.
  • The pre-shows have been in a really weird place. IMO you should always have a match on them so that you can show something exciting to the YouTube audience, and try to get them to sign up. The Cruiserweight title was perfect for this. 

What I would do now is have an exhibition match. One person from Smackdown, one person from Raw. No storyline unless there is something built in that can be easily explained. Just two people who aren't on the show given a chance by their GM to show what they can do. They both get mic time on the pre-show as well.
  • Nothing will ever be as bad as when we got three hours of 1999/2000 Monday Nitro, followed by two hours of Thunder on a Friday night.

A five hour slog fest of mostly shite.

Still loved WCW though right from when ITV used to show whatever their syndicated show was called on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Think we will ever see a female only show?
  • There has been one already.

I'm not sure if there will be another one, It seemed like it was a reaction to women not being allowed in Saudi, but they seem to be allowed now providing they wear fetish gear.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Smackdown last night was great fun. Sheer unabashed silliness that only wrestling can deliver. I suspect it was meant as an antidote to "yo let's go back to attitude era" with Rock on Monday (rock stans, grow up, he's old and does the same shit he did 20 years ago now.)

But what silliness. The Logan Paul hiding under the mat and eventually driving off. The Tiffy promo. The absolute nonsense Waller and Theory match getting interrupted by big screen chaos. And fuck me, the absolute insanity that is the LA Knight AJ Styles story. Something that makes absolutely no sense, and gets more and more ludicrous. That's my favourite story.

And Jade Cargill gives me feelings in my tummy
  • Match recommendation. If you like luchador’s going nuts against established American stars you know. The main event from Fridays arena Mexico show was fucking tremendous. Team CMLL v Blackpool Combat Club. I’ve seen a handful of better matches this year but none more fun. Available on the usual websites. PM me if you want to watch but dont know where.
  • Jade Cargill is something incredibly special.

Is that a CMLL show?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!