Objets d'art que vous avez vu.
  • Looking back through some of the stuff in Fredric Jameson's Postmodernism book. Here's some of the things that feature:

Frank Gehry's House (blurring the lines between inside and outside):
    2echtzm.jpg
    Wells Fargo Court (looks like a flat 2D plane from certain angles):
    20ux2lv.jpg
    1zmyrmd.jpg
    The Bonaventure Hotel (bewildering monstrosity):
    2cgn1hs.jpg
    jjv7s7.jpg
  • And yeah, je n'ai pas vu, but anyway...
  • Pendantic perhaps but it's still bugging me that this is an 'objets d'art' thread which has absolutely nothing to do with 'objets d'art', which is an endlessly fascinating topic in itself.
  • Yea, so i think almost all buildings posted so far look rubbish. Architecture lost it's way a while ago, i reckon.
  • Yeah, it's clearly an achitecture thread. Was there not a general art thread already?
  • I'm certainly not a fan of much brutalist stuff, if only because it is (or becomes with age) massively depressing over time. Just another shit/damp-stained, grey behemoth, sullenly lurking amidst a cityscape that contains little else.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    REM+-+Stand+-+Leaf+Pack+-+3%22+CD+SINGLE-7322.jpg
    This was 3" cd case released in the UK. It was the first example I ever saw of doing something different with packaging. It was made out of foam and card and was one of the first cd singles I ever owned, coincidentally. I still adore it and I don't have it any more.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pendantic perhaps but it's still bugging me that this is an 'objets d'art' thread which has absolutely nothing to do with 'objets d'art', which is an endlessly fascinating topic in itself.

Oh - my ignorance and left brain biased thinking is revealed. I have a slippery grasp on art and all that - I look around art galleries and read liner notes on some albums and am mystified by the "language" of art & music - probably because I'm trying to make a science of it.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So is this thread going to also contain objects and stuff? IMO that should go into the Art Thread, and keep this thread for architecture, otherwise we have an Art Thread (Paintings only), and this thread (everything else). So what are we doing then?

(There's a cool thing I want to post and I'm trying to figure out where it should go.)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Stuff you like, that's all.

It could be the packaging of iPoo devices.

Stuff that isn't strictly art.

Those were my intentions.

I really like the metal tins vaseline come in too.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • So i should post my stick here too?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Do what you must.

It does seems this got an architecture vibe so you might be faced with opposition.
  • it's not art i've decided
  • if i score it, it's a game, then it isn't art.

I give your stick [7] to be revised to a [10] a few years later to the disgust of the Stick Magazine forums. Sorry.
  • @Beano FWIW, been one of my favourite threads of recent times, genuinely interesting stuff.
  • I had no idea what the title meant, but I like it being about buildings.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This gorgeous building is the Cain's Brewery and formerly the Higson's Brewery.

X5v0QVq.jpg

The bottom left corner is a pub called the Brewery Tap.

The tower and the chimney sit opposite the west windows of my lounge.

It's closed now because the owners defaulted for years on tax.

Talk is it's going to be redeveloped into flats and shops.

YAY!
  • DC Thomson offices, where they make the Beano, among other things. It's unusual here because it's a functional building that's lasted, most of the other nice stuff that's survived is more of a statement.

DjhfRCl.jpg

McManus Gallery, other side of the road.

5Flk1jK.jpg

Dundee High School. Check the columns on that!

Ks8yZ1a.jpg

Chamber Of Commerce, more Gothic Revival.

Be8DX7u.jpg

Maggie's Centre. Not really a favourite. It's nice, but not amazing.

5wa2Gwr.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Common Toxteth flats...

2906441_7b5cc282.jpg

4677667931_2ceb50638f_o.jpg

If you like your (begins with a C?) pillars.

Oh corinthian; the fucker.

No one did gothic revial better than Scott though (A catholic).

b3078-Anglican-Cathedral.jpg

Or brutalism better than a prot.

800px-Liverpool_Metropolitan_Cathedral_at_dusk_new_version.jpg

In the context of catholicism, like.
  • Are they not Doric columns? Corinthian being the fancy ones with foliage etc...?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Maybe, I don't know for sure being a culturally unawre Scouser...

1732553-doric_ionic_corinthian.jpg

First are doric it turns out. I'll keep an eye out for some cor's.

It's pretty amazing how much of London is modelled on Liverpool to me, a lot of Southern mates always think it's the other way round.
  • After walking around Liverpool with you I can confirm a lot of it is ace.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I know some cor's.

St. Georges Hall...

JT0xhh6.jpg

There are more on the Walker Gallery round the corner. I still haven't been in and looked at this Banksy:-

NXB108b.jpg

Anyway, pillars; we're all now versed.
  • @beano
    Well done. I can only remember Corinthian as the flowery ones. It's all I can actually recall from art history classes.

That, and the Death of Ophelia was actually painted over several months so the flowers in the painting shouldn't all be in bloom at the same time.
  • Oh and flying buttresses.
    I remember those.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Now they are some of the most superfluous of architectural features, structurally- from what I can tell.
  • Flying buttresses are there because they are needed to stop the top of the wall caving outwards if you have a very high, very heavy wall and you lived in the time before concrete or steel.

EDIT: Technically the weight of the wall wasn't the biggest issue, often it would be the interior ceiling/floor or a roof causing a lateral force that needed to be resisted.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollocks I was going to say that. But then I had been wrong once today already. Missed my chance to shine.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    They honestly just look fancy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!