Photography thred
  • Unlikely wrote:
    East coast is pish.
    Most of Perthshire is stunning.  Up near us there's the Bullers of Buchan, Slains Castle, fuck, we live in castle country on this coast.  Some of the scenery around Insch is cracking.  There's plenty of beautiful scenery in Aberdeenshire if you're looking for it.
  • Perthshire isn't on the east coast.  And if you've ever been to the west coast of Scotland you'll realise how bland the east is.
  • I was working on the assumption that we were taking in the usual way that people divide east coast and west coast Scotland, allowing for things that aren't right on the coast.  You'll also notice that at no point did I suggest that the east side of the country has scenery that is better or as dramatic as the west side, I'm just tired of people lazily saying that the east coast is pish when it demonstrably isn't.

It's almost as tiring as your persistent, worthless baiting and negativity but hey, it's just you and that's what you've always done so it's ok.
  • Me disagreeing with you doesn't equal "worthless baiting and negativity", it's just me disagreeing with you, because you talk a lot of pish.  It's nothing personal, although apparently you think it is.
  • Official review of Scotland: It's rather nice.
  • Well certainly not Dundee.
  • some absolutely ace photos in this thread, well done folks, it was a pity i had to sell my decent camera but such is life, i'd love to get another 6x6 some day though, my paltry contribution is a pic i took, edited and uploaded with my phone during a walk in switzerland over christmas, i do like camera phones these days, despite the lack of aperture control, its just a pity everything's dying from instagramification when it comes to phone cams these days

cold_by_torsadespourfoi-d4k9nbf.jpg
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Me disagreeing with you doesn't equal "worthless baiting and negativity", it's just me disagreeing with you, because you talk a lot of pish.  It's nothing personal, although apparently you think it is.
    "You talk pish," can't be anything other than personal.  Also, it wasn't disagreeing, it was deliberately ignoring most of what I'd written in order to have a dig.  But hey, let's make a joke about ham and pretend that makes up for the rest of your behaviour.
  • nice @Lazygunn

must say I am a fan of the portrait 2/3rds sky shots.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Hey adkm!  Go shit in your face!

Jeez, get a room.
  • Someone's had a buckfast.
  • Hey Cuckoo what 6x6 did you have?  lovely hut shot there by the way.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Hey Cuckoo what 6x6 did you have?  lovely hut shot there by the way.

cheers! pretty modest though really

i had a bronica sq-ai, which is hiiiighly recommended, lovely camera, very affordable for a 6x6 slr too, although if you can live without some features you can get an sq-a for super cheap

if i get another i think i might go for a rolleiflex or yashica tlr, they just look super fun and since photography feels finally to me like the act of doing it that's important, not what it produces,they should be fun things to sport around town like a true modern day hipster-in-denial
  • I appove of this (old) thred (that I have only just come across). Good pics, people.

I've been trying to get into photography on and off for years. Currently rocking a Nikon D200 and have a few lenses (50mm prime, 18-70, 70-300, and a 105mm prime macro).

Hope to post some pics. At some point. Mostly take pics of family now, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ian wrote:
    7996396010_2438f5292c_z.jpg 

That's incredible... What was your setup?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Did you actually want to say something, TNT?

IanEv, I've added you to flickr contacts.

Also, have you looked into posting your pics on 500px.com? Much better level of photography on there than on flickr.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Did you actually want to say something, TNT?

I've edited the post... 

It's a very well framed shot, and the DOF is very wide, bringing the principle objects into sharp focus without any need for focus stacking.

That's obviously going to be very hard to do with a standard 35mm lens, but, I could be mistaken.

http://content.photojojo.com/diy/make-macro-photos-with-your-normal-lens/
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • To do macros with a normal lens, you screw it onto the mount the wrong way round using a ring adaptor, it's all quite cheap, but it has a few idiosyncracies

i took this using a reversed 50mm wayyy back in '05 or something

mediterranean_by_torsadespourfoi-d2zwzh7.jpg

Not sure posting pics of gfs is a good idea but this is one using an unreversed 50mm 1.4, just to give an example of the importance of having aperture control on a lens (and why mobile phones suck in this regard) for dof control

pixie_by_torsadespourfoi-d2zp1bq.jpg
  • Ian wrote:
    7996396010_2438f5292c_z.jpg 
    That's incredible... What was your setup?

Thanks. It was an EOS 5D Mk II, a 100mm macro lens, a sunny day and a bee that kept nice and still.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I think he meant, what was your set-up? As in what were you wearing...
  • I loved using my 1.4 lens back home. It's what I used to take some of the photos on page 3.
  • Moto70 wrote:

Oh! Right! Levi's 527s, black Tresspass jacket, endearingly geeky T-shirt, socks, walking boots, lace thong.
  • For macros you can also reverse-mount a lens on to the end of another one, and the resulting frankenlens is capable of fearsome magnification. So much so, it becomes very hard to focus accurately. I tried it with an old manual 50mm reversed on to a 200mm, and filled the frame with a woodlouse's arse.

And talking of depth of field control, I took this at f2, but kind of wish I'd clicked round to f2.8. 

8035204793_22113b3d1c_z.jpg
    Bald eagle 1 by IanEv, on Flickr
  • Man, that's a great shot. A wee bit of photoshop would pull out a lot of those details and bump up the brightness.

Who'm I telling. You obviously know what you're doing.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Ian wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Oh! Right! Levi's 527s, black Tresspass jacket, endearingly geeky T-shirt, socks, walking boots, lace thong.
    haha!
  • Ian wrote:
    Thanks. It was an EOS 5D Mk II, a 100mm macro lens, a sunny day and a bee that kept nice and still.

What shutter speed, ISO, and aperture settings? I imagine to get that level of DoF using a macro, you must have used a fairly narrow aperture, yes? Meaning less light entering the lens... so to get that level of sharpness, increase ISO, no? But there's not much noise in the photo so ISO couldn't have been that high... HOW DID YOU GET SUCH GOOD PICTURE?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!