Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tee he he
  • One I took this morning whilst waiting for the train.
    K1z5T.jpg
  • digital photography lost its bam for me along time ago, but when/if i ever get more money id love to get some kinda yashica or rollei tlr, or a bronica slr, does anyone enjoy medium format film here?
  • Medium format is the bigger film sizes isn't it? I never did give it a go. I'm not a fan of digital stuff either and I miss my SLR and kodak retina camera back home. I liked looking through those lenses and then figuring out the particulars before taking a shot that I wasn't sure if it would work until I finally get it developed. There's some mystery there.

I'll probably one day get a digital slr but I always find myself getting bored fairly quickly when I play with my friend's ones. I never did get bored with my Minolta SRT-202. Plus the thing was weighty as fuck, which was reassuring.
  • I'm really bored of digital formats for my movies and music I'm going back to Super 8 and Wax cylinders :)
  • Are you trying to be funny Bobby? Because jokes like that relating to photography are just ignorant
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah bobby, sheesh!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It's blocked at work, what is it?
  • I'm sorry man it was a joke, I do love traditional photography but I find it way too much messing around now I'm used to digital. I did in fact learn in a darkroom and do my own developing but I don't have to time or room to keep all the kit these days.
  • Medium format is the bigger film sizes isn't it? I never did give it a go. I'm not a fan of digital stuff either and I miss my SLR and kodak retina camera back home. I liked looking through those lenses and then figuring out the particulars before taking a shot that I wasn't sure if it would work until I finally get it developed. There's some mystery there. I'll probably one day get a digital slr but I always find myself getting bored fairly quickly when I play with my friend's ones. I never did get bored with my Minolta SRT-202. Plus the thing was weighty as fuck, which was reassuring.

oh and yes, medium format is typically a 6x4.5cm, 6x6 or 6x7cm negative/positive, obviously the camera sizes are a little larger but the photo taking process is much the same although maybe a little clunkier. Using 35mm film these days kinda loses relevance, despite being fun because modern digital cameras are starting to, just about, rival 35mm film for detail you get in an image (assuming the 35mm neg is scanned well) along with almost the same dynamic range as negative film and the actual character of the film not being so obsessed about so people can just post-process a digital photo wankily and call is done

medium format film is still super relevant, not just because it's fun to shoot like that but the amount of detail in a negative/positive is staggering and you get all the extra benefits of film, and it's getting quite cheap unless you want to buy something like a Hasselblad where the lenses will still kill your bank balance. It's great fun, i find, and if youre not snapping away like a madman and thinking how you're going to post prod the photos as you take them, very rewarding when you get a ifty shot. Medium format is still used extensively in professional photography where they can allow the slightly slower turnaround of film and cant afford spunking several tens of thousands of pounds on a medum format digital camera. Very few people are going to need an entire 100 megapixel image to make a print but if you want to make a larger very fine print or want lots of cropping options, or want to do darkroom processing and want a large transparency to work with, its good, also MF camera systems still tend to work well with polaroid film (still being made)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just a picture saying "I used film cameras before they were cool"

I mean come on, how insensitive can you be.
  • I'm sorry man it was a joke, I do love traditional photography but I find it way too much messing around now I'm used to digital. I did in fact learn in a darkroom and do my own developing but I don't have to time or room to keep all the kit these days.

no worries soz, i overreacted a bit because ive been moderating a photo chatroom for so long im very much tired of hearing people talk hoo haa about photography - i really wouldnt personally be arsed with 35mm except for messing around with black and white film bt i do find MF relevant (and super fun) hence the above explanation
  • I've never used MF, I have an old MF camera knocking around at home somewhere but I'm not even sure if it works. Would be nice to have the cash and time to experiment but alas with a 3 hour commute and Babby Danger to look after spare time is like gold dust right now. I'd probably have to upgrade my DSLR before anything else right now.
  • Haha that's kind of the other thing, i used a D70 for years and beyond aperture control, my phone now takes equally decent photos. Once you start plunging for digital its onto a pc-style constant upgrading ratrace with hardware destined to fail, its grand if you can afford it but with my D70 not feeling up to scratch anymore and a new DSLR just way beyond me, cheaper, durable and kinda more fun hardware springs to mind. Shooting with an MF SLR complete with light meter etc is quite a different experience and the end result is quite different, to both look at and how you feel about it.. not so much better or worse just different, and its a viable choice for those who cant keep up with a digital market where only thing you buy that keeps its value are your decent lenses, and you want to take some really cracking interesting photos. Definitely worth adding that actually shooting in square format is pretty good fun with a camera made for it and fuck instagram.
  • 83R2eFg.jpgHere's a shot that I took a couple of years back on the way home from France.
  • I like to think that's Scrooge McDuck's ship.

My Nikon D5100 arrived yesterday.  Love it already.  Will take a bit of getting used to after the point and shoot though.

558264_493531544021976_1767566692_n.jpg
  • I have a T3i and am weighing up the options of buying a 8mm Samyang or a GoPro. Mainly for video work.

Both are around £200 (GoPro newest spec would have to be this one)

So, I dunno. 

Pros) I'm keen on the idea of attaching the GoPro to a bike/something stupid without the constant fear that its going to shatter into a thousand pieces.

Cons) Less manual control on GoPro.

Anyone got one?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I picked up a late 90s Sigma 70-300mm 1: 4-5.6 D DL macro the other day.  I knew it wouldn't be great but for the price I paid for it I was happy to get it as a practice lens.

Manual focus only on my camera which is a novel experience.  No vibration reduction or image stabilization either so images can be pretty soft at 300mm as I'm using it hand held.

I'm pretty impressed with it though.  To see much of an improvement over these I'd need to splash a fair bit of cash.

R7KHs4h.jpg

8441117180_fa19fd3c56.jpg

8439169734_6bdc4552f8.jpg

8435091499_b098bffb54.jpg
  • Have you got any primes, Matt?

My favourite lens is my Sigma 105mm macro. A lovely portrait lens.
  • No primes yet.

A lens collection is something I'd quite like to have in the future but my D5100 is my first DSLR so I only have the 18-55mm kit lens and the Sigma.

Tbh I wasn't really planning on buying a new lens at all until 1) I'd got used to the kit lens properly and 2) I had a better understanding of lenses in general.  It just happened to be that the lens was so cheap I couldn't really resist.
  • Get a 50mm prime. Canon do one under £100, most of them are pretty cheap, and great results for the money.
  • Im getting rid of my 500mm Vivitar. Images too soft for my likings. Going on eBay at some point.

Canon fit
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • When I go to Uni I might be totally responsible and take the wet film camera that Emlea gave me and see if they do a photography club for beginners and stuff OR i'll be totally irresponsible and spend a chunk of my first loan on a Digital SRL and start learning that way.
  • @Workid yep the 50mm is definitely on the radar, though it'd be Nikon for me.  Probably more likely to get the 35mm 1.8 first though.
  • I'm not sure I'd find a use for a 35mm lens.
  • Some nice stuff here

http://www.flickr.com/groups/afsnikkor35mm18/

but for me it falls in that awkward gap between a 10-20 and a 50mm that I don't really shoot. Could be a decent city scene lens maybe.
  • That Flickr group is better than the one I had found.  Almost all of the photos were from the one guy of folk standing a few feet away smiling for the camera.

I've found even the kit lens a touch narrow for my liking at 55mm so I think I would find a use for it.  For me it's all about experimenting at the moment though.  Still not entirely sure what directions I'll go in.
  • not snapped in a while but here's a few of mine i like:
    dublin_cp3_by_superflyninja-d32w9js.jpg

lost_by_superflyninja-d4c8twh.jpg

Bright_City_Lights_2_by_superflyninja.jpg

Stripes_by_superflyninja.jpg
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I'm loving that second photo.

*EDIT All 4 are pretty great mind you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!