Photography thred
  • 268624_10151357132138504_215735577_n.jpg
    Just found this shot from the Catacombs in Paris. I liked that chair. Was a shame I didn't have my real camera.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    There's a few more, I love them.  If there was some limit to her work caused by the fact that the camera's a $300 starter camera I bought on discount at Sears, then I'd happily figure out a way to invest in the next model up, or one with specific features she needs. But she sees red when something doesn't work; she said that her camera with the lenses she's got won't work in the continuous-shooting sports mode; turns out it was just manually switched off.  She'll get frustrated and literally say her camera's not cut out for any sort of action shots; and being technically minded I'll look at the fact it has continuous AF and up to 1/4000s shutter speeds available, and disagree.  She's so good at framing things, I think throwing her into a couple of classes, maybe some one-on-one ones, would be the way forward.
    Indoor sports photography is not easy. There is nothing really wrong with the equipment Nic has Elm, it just getting good results takes a lot of practise. You'd be better spending money on tuition than equipment at this point. The only equipment I'd spend money on if she's serious is a monopod, and get her to spend a lot of time learning manual focus techniques.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks G; I forgot that while your camera might handle moving pictures, it's all the same in the end!  I'll pass it on.  I'd love her to be happier with her results, but we're at loggerheads right now, she thinks kit, I think training.  Thank you :)
  • Here's one I took on my recent holiday in France, spotted this little guy peeking out of a hole in a rock. The hole was about an inch across. Taken with my 50mm 1.8 and lots of shots trying to get the focus right.

lbQuAQB.jpg
  • Sony World Photography Awards

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-22307261

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • My mum brought my SLR from home with my favourite 1.4 lens. I look forward to taking some London snaps
  • anyone have any info on good yungnuo 560ii (manual)flash tutorials?
    cheers
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Just posted this in the selling thread:

I am upgrading to a Nikon D800 and full frame lenses for my photography and am therefore looking to sell my exisiting DSLR and lenses. Anyone interested, please let me know. Items are:

Nikon D200, body only goes for around £200 I think, but I'll need to check eBay. Good nick, some dust in the viewfinder that doesn't affect photos. I can get the number of shutter releases if that's important for you.

Lenses, all probably worth around £60 each:
    18-70mm f3.5-4.6 or so DX lens, its a great bundle kit lens.
    70-300mm f3.5-4.6 or so Sigma lens
    70-300mm f3.5-4.6 or so Nikon lens (was a gift, but fuck it)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I was going through some old film photos on fb after I put some more up. I'm really happy with some of the photos I've managed to take. I'd put them up here but they have people in them and I'm a bit wary of spreading them around too much without permission.

But here's one with cats a blurry friend of mine.

530704_10150921794378504_121229065_n.jpg
  • Cat-conjuring or so it seems.

My Nikon FM is in need a good servicing, turns out. Mirror's well grubby and the light sensor's stopped working for some reason that probably isn't the battery. Am in the right part of planet to see to this at least.
  • I'm very keen to get my other film camera back in Aus fixed. It's jammed up. I hope that there's someone who is able to fix it as it takes great photos and is also one my favourite things I own.
  • Started playing around with my D800 over the weekend, took a few pictures. It's a beast! Takes great pictures, and video quality in low light specially is wow. I'll try and post pics of a wasp, my daughter, and my mate's hamster at some point. Need to read up on how to take nice videos.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Flickr has changed overnight. Slightly unattractive redesign, probably aimed at tablets/smartphones. On the plus side, Pro has gone, everyone gets a terabyte of space.
  • Yeah the terrabyte of space is very welcome.

The homepage is pretty useless though.  All I've got just now is a massive picture from a wedding that one of my contacts was at.  Below that, a massive picture of a flower.  

I've changed my bookmark to the 'recent activity' section.  It's less in-your-face and gives me some info.
  • I_R wrote:
    Flickr has changed overnight. Slightly unattractive redesign, probably aimed at tablets/smartphones. On the plus side, Pro has gone, everyone gets a terabyte of space.
    And adverts.
  • My home page seems to be stuck on recent activity, which is ugly as hell.
  • It had adverts before anyway. It's not a clean design at all now, which is a pity.
  • Few from Italy

BEA4F796FC5D4D1AAA8CDBE95CA60333-0000318706-0003249290-00640L-F9CD86B7E1354EF6B6638F3B0EF295DC.jpg

44B67BBA95634D758AE1303D8A69E309-0000318706-0003250027-00640L-CF80D3DAAFEC40BF963DC66A9766269E.jpg

F7949577434E4D438889A9268C60AFD0-0000318706-0003250026-00640L-6F394D6192964ABA923EC871DCC44D3E.jpg

F0D8FD556A744108A4060A2D6CEE382F-0000318706-0003250025-00640L-4A1A8643D87B4AC2927E538E45434851.jpg
  • BEA4F796FC5D4D1AAA8CDBE95CA60333-0000318706-0003249290-00640L-F9CD86B7E1354EF6B6638F3B0EF295DC.jpg

That's fucking amazing.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @Roujin thanks :D
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Flickr has changed overnight. Slightly unattractive redesign, probably aimed at tablets/smartphones. On the plus side, Pro has gone, everyone gets a terabyte of space.

So Pro is still there after a poke about* to be replaced by two new accounts and a doubling of the Pro sub $ for the ad free one. Also there's a third option.

There are three kinds of accounts to choose from at Flickr, and all of them are awesome in their own way.

Free:
    1 Terabyte of photo and video storage
    Upload photos of up to 200MB per photo
    Upload 1080p HD videos of up to 1GB each
    Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
    Upload and download in full original quality
    Unlimited monthly bandwidth

Ad Free:
    $49.99 per year
    All the benefits of a free account
    No ads in your browsing experience

Doublr:
    $499.99 per year
    2 Terabytes of photo and video space
    All the benefits of a free account [Think they mean it's also ad free...]
    *However if you're existing Pro you have a decision to make...
    As of May 20, 2013, we are no longer offering Flickr Pro subscriptions to the majority of our members. Some things to be aware of (with more details below):

Recurring Pro members currently have the ability to continue renewing at the same price.
    Eligible Pro members can get a prorated refund for a limited time.
    Eligible non-recurring Pro members can purchase a recurring Pro subscription.
    The “Gift of Pro” will no longer be available for purchase.
    Pro users will no longer appear with a “Pro” badge beside their name or buddy icon
    Your Pro pricing remains the same and your benefits have improved:

Those who remain Pro will retain all their original benefits.
    The photo and video size limits will be upgraded to those offered with our new free account.
    If you are on a recurring Pro subscription, your payments will remain as is. To see what your current subscription costs, see the previous payment on in your order history.
    Pro members will never be automatically transitioned to an Ad Free or Doublr subscription.

Fucking confusing.

If you’d like to keep your Pro membership:

Anyone who was Pro at 12:00 am (midnight) GMT on May 20, 2013, may be eligible to sign up for recurring Pro in order to extend their Pro membership beyond its expiration date.
    This applies to:
    those whose one-time or gift Pro memberships expired after 12:00 am GMT.
    those who are on a gifted Pro account.
    those who have purchased one-off Pro and are set to expire in the future.
    To keep your Pro status by signing up for a recurring Pro subscription, visit the account order page.
    If you cancel your recurring subscription or opt for the prorated refund, you will no longer have the option to sign up for a recurring subscription.
    If your recurring subscription expires after May 20, 2013, due to a failed payment, please contact the billing team.

I can't even imagine the new Flickr with adverts.

Decisions...decisions.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    In other news I'm having a hellish time trying to get my negative scanner to work on windows 8.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Just sold my d70, end of an era, so long, photography!

Until i can afford the upkeep of a rolleiflex or yashicamat
  • I've used adblock. Still finding it a bit unintuitive. The home page especially seems bizarre, I can see what they're trying but it doesn't work. The old layout probably was out of date, but they've gone a bit too generic. It seems quite slow now as well, but that might be a sudden surge in users checking it out.

For that amount of free storage I can't complain too much.
  • g.man wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    There's a few more, I love them.  If there was some limit to her work caused by the fact that the camera's a $300 starter camera I bought on discount at Sears, then I'd happily figure out a way to invest in the next model up, or one with specific features she needs. But she sees red when something doesn't work; she said that her camera with the lenses she's got won't work in the continuous-shooting sports mode; turns out it was just manually switched off.  She'll get frustrated and literally say her camera's not cut out for any sort of action shots; and being technically minded I'll look at the fact it has continuous AF and up to 1/4000s shutter speeds available, and disagree.  She's so good at framing things, I think throwing her into a couple of classes, maybe some one-on-one ones, would be the way forward.
    Indoor sports photography is not easy. There is nothing really wrong with the equipment Nic has Elm, it just getting good results takes a lot of practise. You'd be better spending money on tuition than equipment at this point. The only equipment I'd spend money on if she's serious is a monopod, and get her to spend a lot of time learning manual focus techniques. regards g.man

Agreeing with G, at least get a book or two on the subject, continuous af and high shutter speeds are the tip of the iceberg in indoor sports where light availability is low, you have to start factoring in iso (and noise performance) and the max aperture of your lenses, which is when money starts getting spent, and then it starts getting HARD, little depth of field with large apertures, continuous AF might simply not be able to keep up with such a shallow field, hence manual focus, then bla bla yes it gets a bit complicated and takes tonnes and tonnes of practice. A monopod is vital cause a tripod is too bulky, but then its easier to drop your camera or whack it against things with a monopod. Taking good photos of fast things in low light, its very tricky. Well good luck with it and to her, learnings all the fun
  • What camera do you use ninja? The first and last photos are my faves.
  • What camera do you use ninja? The first and last photos are my faves.
    cheers! Just on an olympus e410 would kill for an upgrade :D
  • Went to the Safari Park yesterday.  Cheaper and a bit better than the zoo as the animals have way more space.  

They had a bird of prey show and demonstrated the hunting behaviour of a Saker Falcon.  It's a gorgeous bird and it's amazing to see it doing its thing.

It's bloody hard to photograph though!  I was spinning about like a nutter trying to get it.  Which meant a load of shots like this:

xSw6ibP.jpg

But then I caught it just right.  I'd like to think there was a bit of skill involved but I'd be kidding myself. Not bad for a manual focus lens though.

8789251401_9bf1e0a7a1_c.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Saw that yesterday in the old/new flickr feed. Gorgeous shot to have snapped. Ian puts some good stuff up on his flickr and I often wonder if it's a shot in a dozen or million that he's snapped.
  • Wow. Love that. Sharp, well lit, and that PERFECT diagonal line bottom left to top right. Superb.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!