Photography thred
  • Nice. Not sure you need the Enter Site landing page but otherwise I like it. Clean and showcases the photos well.

As always I'm on mobile Chrome.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks great on my MacBook and Safari.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Looks nice on my windows PC in chrome. 

The only thing (and I'm not sure it's something you'd be able to change) is that for navigating the photos my cursor becomes a left and right cursor like when you're scrolling horizontally on a webpage instead of it being a singular direction arrow depending on where you are on the photo. If that makes sense? Just means you have to rely on instinct to know that clicking the left side of the photo will take you one way etc.
  • Yeah, looks like I should be able to drag with the mouse (like a touchscreen) but you can't. Assumed it was a bug at first and only the first picture in each section had loaded.

(Win 10, Chrome)

If i'm being pedantic I don't like that the top of your logo framing box doesn't line up with the top of pictures.

Also the description text on some photos doesnt really appear to line up with anything.

There are some great Wordpress options on themeforest.
    https://themeforest.net/item/fusion-responsive-photography-portfolio-wordpress-theme/16913115?s_rank=8
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Looks nice on my windows PC in chrome.  The only thing (and I'm not sure it's something you'd be able to change) is that for navigating the photos my cursor becomes a left and right cursor like when you're scrolling horizontally on a webpage instead of it being a singular direction arrow depending on where you are on the photo. If that makes sense? Just means you have to rely on instinct to know that clicking the left side of the photo will take you one way etc.

Yeah I can't change the cursor, sadly.  I see what you mean, though.  I could add next/previous icons but I got rid of them as they were too close to the text so looked like they were words added on at the end.
    three1ne wrote:
    Yeah, looks like I should be able to drag with the mouse (like a touchscreen) but you can't. Assumed it was a bug at first and only the first picture in each section had loaded. (Win 10, Chrome) If i'm being pedantic I don't like that the top of your logo framing box doesn't line up with the top of pictures. Also the description text on some photos doesnt really appear to line up with anything. There are some great Wordpress options on themeforest. https://themeforest.net/item/fusion-responsive-photography-portfolio-wordpress-theme/16913115?s_rank=8

Had a look and can't change either the logo position or the text, so I'm afraid that'll just need to annoy the pedantic haha.

Will check out Wordpress, ta.
  • Fuck it,doesn't matter.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wanting to do a little vlogging a short way down the line. No idea where to go camerawise though

Finding myself drawn to the alpha series the 5000 can be got new at around £300 but the 6000 which seems superior in many way can be got used for around £400, is this overkill, do these things hold their value at all if I choose to trade up

What about editing? I don't see the need for 4K at this time, but I do wonder if my laptop will be able to play about in Premiere and LightRoom (which seem to be the main tools in use by people). Dell i5 2.4Ghz, 4Gig RAM, I think upgradable to 16 if required, no idea what the DIMM number is though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • No idea about vlogging cameras, I'm afraid.  Everyone bangs on about the expensive ones so couldn't tell you about budget options.  Digital cameras aren't good for holding value, though.  What I will say is that the feature you want above anything else is a rotating screen so you can see yourself and other camera info.  A quick look at the Sony Alpha a5000 shows a tilting screen but not one that rotates to face the front.

I also couldn't tell you about the specs of your laptop but do know that if you download Adobe Creative Cloud you'll get a 2 week free sample of Lightroom and Premiere to try with.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm definitely interested in stills as well, and they both seem pretty good in that regard, and have interchangable lenses. It's the size that's getting me, I bought an ex a Canon, and it was so big it never left the house. These seem dinky enough that whilst I won't carry them every day, it's no real effort to throw it in a bag if I'm going anywhere potentially fun

Cheers for the tip on Creative Cloud, I'll definitely dig into that a lot more, might even be able to blag a license off work, as our design team likely have enterprise license, hadn't thought of that
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I haven't done any YouTube stuff myself but I'm told by those who have that you should budget for a decent mic.
  • You'll want 16gb if you're going to be editing 4k at some point. 4gb will be ok for 1080 h264 but might be a little sluggish.

I'm guessing your vlogging editing aren't going to be too intensive (as in multiple video and audio tracks - this is where a lot of RAM helps).

I've got a Canon 600d that has a fully rotatable screen and it's been a must have for filming. For a DSLR you'll want a tripod where as those mirrorless/bridge cameras will be acceptable hand held and you've got the benefit of autofocus and zoom lens as default. They're not going to make your videos pretty but might be acceptable for what you're doing and are a lot easier to manage.
  • Can you recommend some decent, cheap, easy video editing software? I really only need to edit, splice clips together, maybe at a push add titles and overdub a bit here and there, and then export.
  • iMovie for Mac and Windows Movie Maker for PC should do it.
  • Been a busy bee recently.

Got some paid gigs coming up in the next few months.  But as of late, I've been trying to keep myself busy so that my photography pages and whatnot don't look deserted, if nothing else.

Started by looking at some of the local areas that have fallen into dis-repair.  First was a bowling club that's been sitting empty for 5 years.  No hint of any progress with the land.

31743586054_7765187da2_c.jpg

32547683326_c0854a8f9f_c.jpg

32464739391_256e9e1a11_c.jpg

From there, I went to Firs Park, which is a five minute walk away.  Former home of East Stirlingshire FC, it closed in 2008 and was demolished in 2012.  There is also no hint of anything happening with the land.

31751669664_14b685345a_c.jpg

32442066082_7d3c79651a_c.jpg

32441675982_429cbda37d_c.jpg

My urbex style adventures continued when we went on holiday up north.  There was an old train station that got used on weekends for steam train trips. Had fun wandering about the old stuff.

34654497095_804b521f23_c.jpg

33844172113_a3637bc51c_c.jpg
    ^^ Those carriages were immobile, btw.

33811353054_0e0349fe4e_c.jpg

After this trip I went a bit crazy for black and white.

More recently, I was testing out a new lens at the Safari Park.  All I need now is to do the real thing.

33852477793_b374a9d477_c.jpg

33819850384_d494ea1f42_c.jpg

Pamela and I had afternoon tea on a steam train for her birthday.  It was fun.  We were at least 30 years younger than anyone else that was there, mind you.  Afterwards I got down to see the driver put the train away in the shed.

33967379603_2cfe4e75b1_c.jpg

33934224124_3bb1a9788a_c.jpg

Just a few days ago, I went out with one of the girls from work who was looking for some modelling shots.  She was game enough to get into the water after I suggested a 'Lady in the Lake' theme.  Very happy with how this shoot came out.

34733149016_75efe37b0b_c.jpg

33964573593_c91888a89e_c.jpg

As well as that, I did a wee video after my mum moved out of the family home after 30 years.  It was impractical for her to stay there with just her husband but after all that time we all got a bit sad when it finally happened.  The move coincided with me transferring a load of VHS to digital so I spliced in some old footage into a video of my photos and topped it off with some manipulative music.  You can watch that here, if you're so inclined.  Prob won't mean much to you, of course.

The biggest thing I got involved in though, was embedding myself with a local amateur dramatic group for a show they were doing.  My sister was playing the main part so I contacted them and they were glad to have me involved.  It was great.  I've often said how photographing something can fall on its arse if you don't have access.  Thankfully I was given full access from rehearsals through to show nights, with the only restriction being that I wouldn't be in the changing rooms while folk were changing.  

It was a project that was fun and I came away with a load of good photos.  This one is probably where the B&W thing started.  I decided to not worry about the different coloured lights and whatnot early on by removing that aspect.  Saved myself a lot of hassle with that.

34617864882_51a3bc005e_c.jpg

34647928521_7b5ca2c3b9_c.jpg

34394596400_5692fb1781_c.jpg

34394595170_6f426fc592_c.jpg

34647917771_34ec6a9ff9_z.jpg

34394593000_8d21be0385_c.jpg

34394588940_8a2b062035_c.jpg

The coolest thing was that I was there when things went a bit wrong.  In the photos above, the director had kept the company back after a show that he was less than impressed with for a talking to.  I was able to get myself right in the middle of it and get everyone's reactions as they happened.

That's all for now.  I tend to go in phases where I do loads and then have 3 or 4 weeks where I do very little for a variety of reasons.  Happy with the quality of things at the moment, though.
  • Some very nice stuff there mate.

thumbs up

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Great stuff there Matt,some reall heartbreakers too. I'm starting to get back into it myself ATM. Bought an Olympic om d e-m10 mk ii. I seem to have lost my old om 50mm though :(
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Wow Matt. You keep getting better and better. Some brilliant stuff there.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Top draw photos mate - really good
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Some great pictures there matt.
  • Nice one Matt. Really like the train driver ones.
  • Very nice. I recently took 451 photos of the Lake District and all were shite.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Those are lovely, great work again
  • Thanks guys.  Much appreciated.

In other photography news, this has become a source of controversy.  An award winning photographer actually Photoshopped a person from another photographer's photo into his own.  Very odd, as well as ruinous to his reputation.

That got people looking at the content of the work.  The work angered sex traffic campaigners.

He was quite well known and respected but he's since disappeared from social media etc after this blew up.

He will be appearing on SKY Art's Master's of Photography show on Thursday though, which might make for interesting viewing.  All recorded before this stuff, though.

And this (graphic images) just popped up on my Twitter feed.  Photographer embedded with Iraqi security forces was allowed to see their torture and abuse.  After publishing, he had to move.
  • Yeah I read about that photoshop incident. Such a weird thing to do. It's not even that good a job of it.

I'm interested in that final link but I'm not sure I want to look at it. How graphic are we talking?

I don't photo much but I shot a roll of film over like a 4 month period and finally got the images back. Some are unfocused, most are just of my friends but there's a few nice ones.

qWtB6tU.jpg

eaQLUmi.jpg

lNkqlSH.jpg

CvWKGrR.jpg
  • Very good pics guys!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • They're really nice. What's the Location?  

The twitter thing is more upsetting than graphic tbh.  No blood or guts.
  • Thanks Matt. They're at a place called Halls Gap. Very nice little town with some great bush walks.
  • Thanks Matt. They're at a place called Halls Gap. Very nice little town with some great bush
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Fab work gents!

Matt - really like the second train driver shot.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Should be working for the tourist board Shabs, they look great

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!