Photography thred
  • Double thread new page win combo.
  • I was at a flash workshop last week.  It was hosted in Govanhill baths which is a disused Edwardian bathhouse and swimming pool.  It's an amazing location and I spent more time wandering about shooting the building than joining in with the class.

It's like a mix between a time machine and Fallout.

26141027212_66920f8574_c.jpg

26166988151_64744b67eb_z.jpg

25628654924_74e67bb361_c.jpg

25631156623_bd333173c6_c.jpg

26167610121_a51b53c410_z.jpg

25629216914_10376b6734_z.jpg

26208349416_d7a8ea73d6_z.jpg
  • Very nice.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GC5URjx.jpg
    Jesus, the editing in this shot is horrible.  It looks like Gabriel Knight 2.
  • Here's a couple of mine.

M5To8Ebl.jpg
    Hm6GO4tl.jpg
    EyjlXKXl.jpg
    ZAHwydUl.jpg
    aIWb33Hl.jpg
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Last one's a stunner.

Also George is a really cute kid.
  • Needs moar dodge.
  • I did some event photography the other day for my mum's charity. It was everything I feared about wedding photography. Blindingly sunny day that meant everything in the sun was completely blown out and everything in the shade was completely black. In and out of the marquee, which was white just for some extra blown-out goodness, was completely different lighting too. Then just as I thought I had everyone, I found that half of the guests had been hanging around the other side of the marquee, in the broken shade of the trees for maximum variation in lighting.

I spent a couple of hours that night sorting through the pics and turning the saturation up, to compensate for the flash making everyone look pale as death, and emailed some low-res copies to my mum. The downside of that is it makes teeth look yellow so now I'm going through all of them with the sponge tool desaturating everyone's gob.
  • @IanHamlett I love film.  I've tried all sorts of film cameras over the last 5 years from 35mm, medium format and large format.  I've ended up with these -

Voigtlander Bessa II - arguably the pinnacle of folding medium format cameras, it's 66 years old and looks stunning, takes wonderful pictures and the shutter speeds are still accurate.

13043498_10153685145277737_5974726066220912329_n_zpsacpyne44.jpg

12974366_10153685145217737_7777450828992877650_n_zpsyefunzvi.jpg

Mamiya 6 with all 3 lenses, also medium format - this is being CLA'd at the moment so i haven't had a chance to use it yet, the lenses are supposed to be some of the best that have ever been made for any camera ever.  Can't wait to try it!

3898451706_52b8b72102.jpg

Nikon FE - probably my favourite handling 35mm camera, lots of features with one button/switch each so very fast to do anything.  My 50mm lens is newer than the one in this picture and it's a great lens that's really cheap now. mine was £80 for the camera with lens.

nikon_fe_chrome_joe.jpg
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Film stash in freezer

film_zps9bov3klw.jpg

I buy expired film on ebay and if it's less than 10 years old it doesn't make much of a difference if it's properly stored.  As a rough guide over expose by 1 stop per 10 years.

I develop in a paterson tank which does 3x 120 films at once or 5x 35mm.  Xtol is my fave B&W developer.  I also do C41 and E6 colour with Tetenol kits, the kits state you get 12 uses out of them but actually you can get around 30 so they are pretty cost effective.

Developing medium format E6 positives is really something else, especially on a 6x9cm camera, the slides are massive and being able to just hold them up to the light and see the actual colours is amazing to me.  Slide film like Velvia or provia is just beautiful.

I scan film on an Epson V800 which is fantastic for the price, a world away from every other scanner in the £500 mark - https://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/13567
  • There's so many interesting film still around to be shot e.g old kodak and efke infrared stuff.  People are now removing the remjet layer on motion picture film stock and making that usable for still cameras.

Cinestill - http://cinestillfilm.com/collections/frontpage/products/50d-daylight-pro-pack-5-rolls-36exp-135

Mad films here (i wouldn't import film from the states though way too expensive) - http://filmphotographyproject.com/store/film/35mm-film
  • I was looking at one of those Voigtlanders and that Mamiya when I was shopping for MF. I ended up going for a Seagull TLR after being outbid on every other fucking thing in the world.

I was surprised about how much it upped by game. I don't press the shutter half as much any more and the quality of my pictures is higher.

IMG_9103.JPG
  • Enjoy!
  • Visit Scotland posted a photo of mine on their website.  I sent it to them 2 years ago and they put it up then as well.  So that was a bit odd.  Still, quite nice of them, though.
  • That's nice.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wait is "82" not your real surname?!

Lovely photo! What o'clock was it taken at?
  • Somebody from here once sent me a copy of Shadow of the Colossus with 'Matt Etittu' written on the package.

It was pitch black so would have been around midnight, I would think. The light coming from behind the castle is coming from the RAF base that's there. The light in front is my car headlights. It's not a photo I'd go out of my way to display these days, tbh. It was very much a beginner's experiment.
  • It's still pretty tasty tho. I've thought about using headlights for long exposures. I'll remember to take something to diffuse it if I do.
  • Probably would have worked better if I'd driven around a bit. Didn't think of that at the time, though.
  • I4Pmhfm.jpg

If any of you are in Glasgow towards the end of the month, our college course's end of year exhibition is at the Theatre Royal from Thursday the 26th to Monday the 30th. Free entry. We all have a couple of photos up, some of which are very cool.

• Can't help but admire medium format cameras. But look at the size of those fuckers.
  • I found out today that Matthew Modine is a photographer and spent time on the set of Full Metal Jacket, photographing the cast and set with his Rollieflex TLR. All with Kubrick's blessing.

wLXtzNV.jpg

O6K1vVi.jpg

mJbDHvc.jpg

More.
  • He's got the eye.
  • Matt_82 wrote:

Can't help but admire medium format cameras. But look at the size of those fuckers.

I had an RB67 for a while, slightly older than the RZ67. It was fantastic, the lenses are amazing and the workflow is very good, and they can be picked up for peanuts now. But it's really a studio camera, carrying it around was a bit of a pain.

I wouldn't ever consider the Pentax 67 due to the massive shutter slap, even with a heavy duty tripod the slap means you sometimes get a bit of a double exposure. I prefer medium format rangefinders for these reasons.

Recently took my Mamiya 6 and Bessa 2 on holiday, just developing the pics now, will post some up soon.
  • Billy wrote:
    Recently took my Mamiya 6 and Bessa 2 on holiday, just developing the pics now, will post some up soon.

Did these ever appear? I would like to see them.

In other news, a photograph I took at college that I stuck on a stock website was used by the BBC. Oddly enough it was someone that knows my mum that read the article and recognised the photo as mine. Had she not done that I would probably never have known as they tend not to give you details when your photo gets used.

Main photo: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160915-the-woman-who-is-allergic-to-water

• Nice one Matt! Get that printed and framed asap!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • How does that work Matt? I mean how did you not realise it was being used as I'm assuming you got paid?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Stock photo sites just sell the image on your behalf. You might know who bought it but you'd have no idea what they intended to use it for.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!