Photography thred
  • You are fucking talented, Matt. Exciting times ahead for you.
  • You are fucking talented, Matt. Exciting times ahead for you.

Thanks man.

Just got told that some of my work will be shown at an exhibition soon and took my first ever wedding booking last week.  Can't say that I want to be a wedding photographer for the rest of my life but it's good money and I need money!

So yeah, it feels like things are just getting started.  Here's hoping.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's great news - congrats
  • Good stuff. I'm using a Nikon big standard 70-300 1:4-5.6 today at a strongman comp. Its rubbish. Wish I could afford the (heavy) f2.8 70-200.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Thinking about selling all my Canon gear. 600d and all lenses. I use mine mainly for video and I need to upgrade but Canon's newest cameras are really lagging behind when it comes to video (rubbish codecs, no high frame rate). Might get a Panasonic GH4.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Really? My 70d's video is gorgeous.
  • 70d looks a little improved over the 600 although both perform badly in low light. Codec is the killer though. Can't really do a great deal with the picture.
  • I've been long term loaned a nikon d90, could somebody tell me where is a good place to read up on the basics of taking a decent picture with it.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    You are fucking talented, Matt. Exciting times ahead for you.
    Thanks man. Just got told that some of my work will be shown at an exhibition soon and took my first ever wedding booking last week.  Can't say that I want to be a wedding photographer for the rest of my life but it's good money and I need money! So yeah, it feels like things are just getting started.  Here's hoping.
    Well done, you are good. Wedding photography terrifies me. It's like street/documentary work with portraits and still-life thrown in. Did you capture the magnificence of the church? The dynamism of uncle Fred on the dancefloor, lit only by the shitty mobile disco lighting? Did you get grandma crying at the speech? Can you make out the comedy figures on the cake? If not then you've ruined my day.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I'll tell you in 2017 when I shoot the wedding.
  • You took a wedding booking and its in 2017?! Wow. That's a big delay.

What kind of lens you gonna be using? 70-200 f2.8 works well I hear for most shots.
  • To shoot that far into the future you need a lens that can see around the curvature of space. 200mm isn't going to cut it.
    paycheck-20040514001458416.jpg
  • Haha I take what I can get just now, though that's not particularly uncommon.  There are local photographers here, in a smallish town, who are all booked out for 2016 and are running low on space for 2017.   

Who knows what equipment I'll have by then.  But yeah the 70-200 is standard wedding photographer equipment, along with a 24-70.
  • THere's a £1,000 70-200 that I really want. I'd have to skip giving my daughter any christmas and birthday gifts to get it tho.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    On the plus side you can really pretty pictures of next years gifts when she gets them so she'll have more memories of them
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That was my argument for the 50mm f1.8 & 30mm f2.8 combo. I think that was the right call but it's getting harder to justify as she gets older.
  • The trick to buying lenses is that there's probably an older, cheaper alternative out there (unless you bought a Sony lol).  I have various cheaper primes that give me better image quality and cover the focal ranges.  They obviously lack the convenience of the zoom, though.  And when I'm shooting weddings, I'll want the convenience.  Until then however, I'm fine.

£1000 is a lot to spend on a lens.  Especially if it's unlikely to bring that money back in through sales and whatnot.  I'd only consider spending that amount if I could properly justify it or was loaded enough that I could spunk that kind of cash on a hobby.
  •  there's probably an older, cheaper alternative out there (unless you bought a Sony lol
    yep.

I've got adaptors and a bunch of old lenses but native emount shit costs a bomb. Even if I had the cash for that lens I'd probably save up a bit more for the Sony A7s body. I'm all about low light.

5:50 on this vid that I've probably posted before.

• Buying Sony is a rich man's game!  

Mirrorless will one day rule the world.  Probably.  They've still got a few things to overcome before then though.  I prefer the look of the Fujifilm or the Olympus, myself.
  • You warned me about that before I jumped in. It wasn't a rich man decision. Nothing was even close to the a6000 for low light and fast autofocus in that price range. The good autofocus meant I could also sell my camcorder. The small range of lenses doesn't get to me, I've got all the ones I need now, apart from something with some real reach, but they're not cheap on any mount.
  • I have/had more money than sense. I bought 24mm f1.4 for my landscapes and 85mm f1.4 for portraits. It was a waste of money cos I barely go out and take shots. Sold them recently as I need the cash (to pay towards bad CC debt from bad spending habits) at a but if a loss so even more waste of money.

Both lenses were amazing though. Sharp and fast. Keeping my 24-70 as that's what I pretty much just use and it's great for video too. Was thinking of 70-200 f2.8 (£1000!) once I can afford it; my cheap f4.5-5.6 is piss poor. Limited me a lot at a recent event that I was shooting away at.
  • Can anyone recommend a decent composition book? Doing secret Santa at work. Mine's a trainee camera operator. He's also got quite bad dyslexia so I'm after a book without too much text.
  • Surely all composition books are mainly pictures. I got one called "The Photographer's Eye" which seems alright. Probably better off watching B&H videos on YouTube though.
  • Martin Freeman? Aye, his books are good, very heavy on the theory side though.
  • Just read the post properly. I reckon avoid Freeman if the guy is dyslexic.
  • Martin Freeman, yes.

tumblr_mxt0rjDi821qziccvo1_250.gif
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Just read the post properly. I reckon avoid Freeman if the guy is dyslexic.
    I bought a ...Freeman book. Had a look on Amazon at a few pages and seemed the same/better than any other book.

Here's hoping.
  • The cloisters! Love that bit of Glasgow Uni. Nice pics.

@Matt
  • I click on this thread in the hope Matt has posted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!