PC gaming.
  • Yeah I would honestly, not sure if they're going to do some further iterations of the Vega architecture and put new cards out this year. Really really hope they can step it up again and do to Nvidia what they've done to Intel. Think they might have given up on the higher end for the moment and are focusing more on SoCs for consoles though.

Anyone else seen the Chinese console/PCwith a custom AMD Ryzen / Vega chip? https://www.anandtech.com/show/13163/more-details-about-the-zhongshan-subor-z-console-with-custom-amd-ryzen-soc
    Should be a pretty good indication of the sort of performance increase we'll see with the new consoles.
  • Yeah, getting Nvidia Optimus to function properly is a pain in Linux. Bumblebee was a decent workaround but with all the command line involved it's way too complicated for non tech oriented people.
    That was about 2-3 years ago. Not sure if the situation has improved in the meantime.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That Chinese hw looks sweet.
    Wouldn't mind importing on the cheap and slapping win10/steamOS on it.
  • Given AMD's current work, it's a real pity Valve fucked their Steam Machine stuff so badly. A load of decent, reasonably priced console like PCs running Linux would have pushed more developers to support it and really given Microsoft and Nvidia the kick in the arse they need.
  • Is there anyone about that would like to play some Total War with me? Co-op campaigns or random battles..
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    How do I move a Steam library from one drive to another? I have an SSD and an HDD in my laptop, and Steam has decided to use the former. It's getting kinda full already*, so I'd like to move to the latter. I know I could Google this but I'd trust you guys to know as much as a random search result, and be less likely to accidentally get me to hose my machine. (Windows is installed on the SSD.)

*Seriously, the Wolfenstein II demo would take up all the room I have left.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think I just dragged the whole directory into the new drive and then set Steam to the new one. Can't remember the finer details but I don't think it was hard to do.
  • Go to Settings, Downloads.  Then click on Steam Library Folders.  Add new path.

Then, right click on each game you want to move, Properties, Local Files.  Click on Move install folder.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Cheers both. That's job for the weekend sorted.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Apparently due to new bugs discovered in intel SoC's ms has patched windows10 accordingly.
    Patches which have now disabled the nVidia gpu in my notebook for now.
    Really?

Ffs MS! I'm trying to reinstall nVidia drivers atm to see if I can solve the issue but I have a nagging suspision it'll be futile.
  • Scrubbed the old driver with ddu and reinstalled the gpu via windows update.
    Seems to have done the trick and everything is running normal again. Phew, here I was thinking of having to reinstall windows all over again.

For god's sake ms, stop trying to murder my pc!
  • I think I've had summat done to mine too. Shutdown the machine this morning, restarted and it's throwing startup errors at me and won't get past all the recovery/repair options. Was there an update yesterday evening?
    On with the fucking chkdisk and media tool repair bollocks, wooo.

Dammit I have dinosaurs to shoot in the face and raid the corpses of.
  • Patch tuesday I believe.
    Notebook/ nVidia owners best skip this round.
    All bugged out.
  • Hmm I seem to be on the latest updates, and I'm all good currently.. Hope it's not too much of a pain to sort out Brooks.

I've had these sorts of errors before, I overclock and fiddle with stuff in my BIOS a bit, but sometimes it seems like just restarting a few times + cold boots and such can sort out these strange issues weirdly.
  • I'd imagine it's a right pain to sort out Brooks. I get the impression he'd resist every step of the way.
  • For people running nVidia having problems with the latest 1803 windows updates experiencing flicker and weird sudden black screens, reinstalling the gpu driver fixes the issue. Be sure to scrub the old one out first if issues persist and just to be sure.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-tags/download-ddu.html

Ddu did the trick for me.
    After scrubbing with ddu manually re-install the gpu driver as normal. Gpu driver should now function as normal.

Or

Skip this round of wu.
    Any updates that corrupt your gpu drivers are shit.
  • So Windows Defender decided to isolate and quarantaine a cryptominer hidden within my windows install.
    This might explain my recent Optimus woes and why my system was running hotter than usual. The nvidia gpu getting hijacked (for cryptomining) might've been the issue.

Seriously, fuck this shit. I'm reasonably careful when downloading stuff but somehow this slipped by (through?) windows defender. Ftr, I blame my girlfriend for wanting me to dl Crazy Rich Asians
  • At least it found it eventually. I had to disable Windows Defender because it was eating up all the CPU and making the computer unusable.
  • Yeah I get that too when running a full system scan. It's useless.
    Might go back to avast eventually.

For now I have the emergency combo of Malwarebytes and Hitmanpro running.
    Super effective.
  • I could understand it during a full scan. This was all the time, no matter what was happening.

I'm switching to Linux on my work PC as soon as I get the time; MS have totally shit the bed with Win 10 as far as serious use goes. Can't comment on it for gaming, since I haven't started my gaming machine up for so long and last time I didn't get to do anything because it spent all the time installing updates.
  • That is bad.
  • Yeah, but at least tinyBuild and DoubleDutch  finally got a proper amount of money from me  for Speedrunners (rather than the pennies they would have gotten when I originally received it as part of a bundle) because I just bought it on PS4 instead.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The worst thing about the updates is that it doesn't tell you it's doing it and you can spend ages wondering what the fuck is wrong. I've realised now that whenever my pc is acting up it's probably a Windows update going on.
  • Is Crazy Rich Asians any good then?
  • Idk?
    I visited some dodgy torrent sites but only cam versions are available.
    Waiting for a decent bluray release.
  • It came out last week in the cinemas, you’ll be waiting a while
  • Might have to take her to the cinema then.
    Urgh, I hate romcoms....
  • No probs with win 10 at my end. Was upgraded from a dodgy copy of win 7 too, so double bonus!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!