PC gaming.
  • WorKid wrote:
    For those that aren't aware, WinDirStat is a very excellent tool for seeing what the actual fuck is taking up all your drive space.
    Makes me wonder why the default windows one is still so utterly utterly useless, so many decades later.

I didn't know Windows had a default drive space analyser. Might useful, even for crap. What's it called?
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I use spacemonger  Really useful.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Humble has just dropped. Will list later today.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • AJ wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    For those that aren't aware, WinDirStat is a very excellent tool for seeing what the actual fuck is taking up all your drive space.
    Makes me wonder why the default windows one is still so utterly utterly useless, so many decades later.

I didn't know Windows had a default drive space analyser. Might useful, even for crap. What's it called?

I meant just right click or the Windows explorer. Soooo useless.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Anyone fancy next month's Tales of Berseria?
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Never played a Tales game before.
    Would not mind having a go at one?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • WorKid wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    I meant just right click or the Windows explorer. Soooo useless.

Aye, I would reeeaally like to see that kind of visualising tool as a standard feature of modern OSes, just makes so much sense.
  • I'll definitely be offering kona as I have it on bone. It's average, but kind of interesting walking dim.

Certainly some of the others too.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Never played a Tales game before. Would not mind having a go at one?

There you go.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Cheers Silke!
    Much appreciated.
  • Forged Battalion
    Sudden Strike 4
    Kona
    The Escapists 2

All Definitely up for grabs.

Still tossing up on Conan exiles and Pathologic HD.

EDIT: some taken.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Excerpt from the latest Conan Exiles patch notes '...leading to potentially world-destroying amounts of dong'.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • No amount of Dong will make up for a crafting menu, methinks.
  • Oo, I’d take escapists please, if nobody else is desperate for it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Any suggestions as to why my laptop fan(s) go batshit mental while the laptop is idle?  Disk/CPU usage is minimal but periodically the fans crank up and stay in jet engine mode until I give it a nudge.  I am aware this query is pretty vague.

Download HWiNFO (the installer link), install and run it ticking the "sensors only" box when it starts up. You should be able to see your CPU temp in there, possibly the fan RPM too. Right click on things and you can show a graph too, helpful with pinpointing when something happens.

It may be that the heatsink has worked loose or the TIM has gone to shit over time. Hopefully it's an easy model to open up and service, as that's probably what you'll want to do.

I have a syringe of Noctua NT H1 thermal paste lying around here somewhere which I could perhaps post cheaply for those who want to repaste the odd machine. If you have many machines to sort out it's probably worth buying some though.

Thanks, will give HWiNFO a go.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Forged Battalion
    Sudden Strike 4
    Kona
    The Escapists 2

All Definitely up for grabs.

Still tossing up on Conan exiles and Pathologic HD.

Face, could I snag Kona please? Looked at it a few times now on PS4 and been intrigued. Pretty please.
  • Links sent to daddy and stop. Escapists had region lock like crazy, fingers crossed it works.
  • Cheers dude!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Thanks Face. Much appreciated.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    New site Voidu has some good deals going at the moment. Use the code summer18 for extra 18% discount.
    https://www.voidu.com/en/
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth got a try tonight and though I'm not familiar with the books or the TV series it's an enjoyable point and click lite where I've so far delivered a baby in the woods after identifying what drives me to want to build a stonking great cathedral and then been a monk who has possibly stumbled upon a murder of the prior from the next village along so I'm going to have to see to that.
  • Anyone looking to sell an old graphics card? Was after something around a gtx 970.
  • W10 was acting up after the last update. Optimus borked. Windows store refusing to download certain apps. Strange messages from Windows update (you are now in a group policy- ehm, no I'm not?) Weird overheating issues. Tried reinstalling drivers, running SFC, nothing really solved the issue. Last weekend after a few black screens and bsod"s decided to nuke from orbit and start over afresh.

The Optimus problem is now gone as is the overheating. System seems to perform normal now. All is well in the world of windows again. Phew!

Is it me or is Microsoft moving too fast with windows updates? W10 breaking like this really should not be happening. I can imagine something like this being an enormous headache to enterprise users who want stability and performance. Mandatory system breaking updates is just....hmmm.

• They're not moving too fast with them, they're just reality shit at them. Windows is a joke now and anyone who really cares about the future of PC gaming be dual booting Linux and running games they can on that to increase the usage stats so it gets better support.

Enterprise shouldn't get mandatory updates, btw. If you're on Pro, you should be able to disable them.
  • Which reminds me, I must revisit Linux and update my Ubuntu USB stick. I'll probably do a dual boot soon again.

I did buy some Arctic Silver5 paste just in case. I'll shelve it for a later date, don't fancy repasting now as I don't have a spare machine atm.
  • Spare machine? Has it become more difficult since I stopped doing PC gaming properly? Used to be that it took ten minutes and there was basically no way to fuck it up unless you had literally no idea what you were doing.
  • It's a notebook. Spare machine as in when shit goes fubar, just in case.
    Checked out a few vids and should be easy enough to dissassemble. Still a hassle as I do have to unscrew and rip out the whole motherboard. Will do it later this year.
  • Ah, fair enough. Don't think I've ever done more with a laptop than change the memory in my life.
  • I feel I should mention that from my dabbling in various Linux Distros over the last week that there appear to be some serious issues with proper Nvidia support going foward into future development, particularly with Wayland, a much more up to date and faster protocol which is supposed to be a big  improvement over X. I've certainly noticed real problems running Linux with my 144Hz monitor and second 60Hz monitor setup, awful scrolling and movement compared to Windows 10 which is really buttery smooth in comparison.

The latest distro I've tried is using Wayland with the open source Nvidia drivers which is a noticeable improvement in general usage and browsing, but the problem is I think I might be limited to the just the Nouveau (open) drivers and not able to use Nvidia's own stuff. On the Nouveau drivers the more recent cards at least stay locked at their idle clock speed, so an awful lot of performance is left on the table.

This is all due to some real buttheadedness from Nvidia and also from some Linux developers from what I can tell. Not sure if it will ever be resolved :/

Would much rather have an AMD card honestly, but the options just haven't been good for high end stuff over the last few years, midrange with the RX 480/470 + 580/570 is still really decent though. Still experimenting to see if I can get a satisfactory setup with a Linux install, but I might just be screwed for a few years and hope the success with Ryzen means AMD can pump some of that money into a properly competitive alternative. Nvidia is a monster though.
  • Man, that's such a crock of shit from Nvidia. Sounds like I'll probably be going AMD if I ever build a gaming PC again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!