PC gaming.
  • Not sure yet. Seems like my response are past bed time.
  • Cheers mate. Will pass them on/help build a case.
  • So I bought an external ssd. I did a transfer of steam games just with file Explorer. But I've just realised I probably needed to stuff in steam.

Can see the back up and restore option in steam, is it smart enough to see I've already copied?

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought it could cope. You need to add a second library or something?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Think you just have to point steam at the library in the settings.
  • Yes you can add a second library in steam - just did it the other day
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2817486/steam-libraries-multiple-drives.html
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • My Steam library is spread across four or five drives by now I think.
  • If anyone's about to play something give me a shout. I should be on Discord too.
  • Denuvo has been removed from Dishonoured 2.  Can finally buy it.

Although there is a link to Bethesda.net which I need to find out if mandatory before I do.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Early humble monthly unlocks - Yakuza 0 is up for grabs (it's lovely).
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • The Division is actually tempting for me too. How long until 2 is out?

Meanwhile:

Sundered 
    Regions of Ruin 
    Darksie Detective 

All up for grabs.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh Sundered looks my bag of you're sure, face!
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Oh don't misunderstand me. I don't really care for the ubisoft boys with guns but I don't already own the game (curse of the collector), like I do with Yakuza 0. 

Which is lovely and everyone should play it.
  • Ooh, I wouldn’t mind a shot at Yakuza if it’s still available!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    It's yours, father.
  • Leg

End!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ooh Sundered looks my bag of you're sure, face!

Done.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thank you :-D
  • Ok now this is news - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-01-07-nvidia-adds-g-sync-support-to-some-freesync-gaming-monitors-7030
    At CES today, Nvidia announced that it has embarked on a mission to test every single adaptive-sync (FreeSync) monitor available and certify specific ones for G-Sync support at a driver level. So far, 400 monitors have been tested and 12 specific models have passed.

If you own one of these FreeSync monitors and an Nvidia graphics card, then a driver update on the 15th of January will allow you to switch on G-Sync. Nvidia’s VRR technology has been available without the proprietary module for some time now, although this has been reserved for gaming laptops. Now, it is opening up to the gaming desktop world too and over time, many more FreeSync displays will support G-Sync too.

Update (13:23): We have received confirmation from Nvidia that ‘certified’ FreeSync monitors will have Adaptive Sync enabled by default in the driver. If you have a monitor that has not been certified, you can enable Adaptive Sync manually in the Nvidia control panel.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-01-07-nvidia-adds-g-sync-support-to-some-freesync-gaming-monitors-7030
    Nvidia tested more than 400 FreeSync monitors to find those that met its standards for G-Sync. That included looking at metrics like a wide frame-rate range where VRR could be enabled (eg 60Hz to 144Hz), whether VRR was enabled by default and whether VRR gaming produced any unwanted artefacts like ghosting or flickering. Just 12 monitors made the cut, and they have become the first G-Sync Compatible monitors on the market. G-Sync Compatible monitor support will arrive in the first 2019 Game Ready driver, which is scheduled to be released on January 15th.

Intriguingly, Nvidia will also allow users to test G-Sync support on other monitors that support FreeSync, even if Nvidia hasn't listed them as G-Sync Compatible. That means that if you have a FreeSync monitor and a Nvidia 10-series or later graphics card, you may as well flip the switch and see what happens. Nvidia warns that the monitor "may work partly or may not work at all" with G-Sync enabled, but it's certainly worth trying.

It seems likely that we'll see a crowd-sourced list of unofficial G-Sync Compatible monitors once the feature goes live later this month, so stay tuned. Nvidia will also continue its efforts to test and certify additional FreeSync displays as for official G-Sync Compatible status, with more than 100 monitors awaiting testing at the moment.

Really wasn't expecting this to happen so soon, as there's still limited competition from AMD generally at this time, but it's really great to see them finally open the VRR doors. Will need to wait until the new driver is out in the wild too see just how wide-ranging the support is across monitors though. It was only a matter of time TBF, what with Freesync support becoming a thing for TVs now.

For those that weren't aware, Freesync and Gsync are technologies that both do the same thing essentially; dynamically adjust the refresh rate of the display to match the frames coming out of the graphics card. The most notable difference by far was that Gsync monitors typically cost an additional £200 or so, due to the expensive and proprietary Gsync module that has to be integrated. This is fantastic news for those who have an AMD GPU/Freesync display combo, or have an Nvidia card currently but were wanting a display upgrade at some point, and couldn't stomach the bullshit Gsync tax so have been waiting for an appreciable upgrade from AMD (which might be happening this year as the 7nm silicon could be tasty). I'm in the latter category, so this is great. Won't be upgrading for a bit anyway, but now I can just focus on the core specs and get the best monitor for the money, in theory anyway.
  • Raises a question for me:

Nvidia tested more than 400 FreeSync monitors to find those that met its standards for G-Sync. That included looking at metrics like a wide frame-rate range where VRR could be enabled (eg 60Hz to 144Hz)

So, does that mean it doesn't do VRR below 60Hz? Because that'd really suck for people like me who are happy to run at 30Hz for nicer graphics.
  • Depends, most Freesync monitors will go down to 40Hz I think, which I'm pretty happy with. Different strokes and all that but I couldn't stand 30FPS in most games anyway. There are some games with slightly dicky engines that will drop down regularly, Total Warhammer II is an example where I actually disable Gsync on my monitor as I get annoying flickers often, and massive battles can get down to the 40ish range too..

Here's a big list of monitors with FS ranges from AMD, quite useful - https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

That's a thing actually, for ages when researching the differences between Free and G sync there was limited info, but somehow Gsync is just 'technically better'. Then I went from a Freesync display to a Gsync one and found the experience to be objectively worse in the odd game like TW2, where stutters would cause the backlight brightness to flicker. This on a display that's supposedly been quality assured by Nvidia to get the Gsync badge.. And TBF I think this can happen on certain Freesync displays too, just down to the specific implementation and display tech I think. Hopefully Gsync will start to kinda go away now, only remaining as a badge for fanboys.
  • Looking at that link, there are a small number that go down to 30. Pretty annoying they have a lower limit at all, to be honest.
  • 30fps?  You know this is a PC thread? :-)
  • Was reading about the 2060 earlier. Might be time to upgrade the 970.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My 970 still runs almost everything just fine at high settings. But still, it'll soon be time for an upgrade. Just waiting for the vr moment to jump.
  • Yeah, I just had a read of that digital foundry 2060 analysis and DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is pretty cool. Basically render a frame at a lower resolution then use AI to upscale it. It sounds promising and seems like it could be a good way of getting higher resolutions without needing to brute force it.

Not much supports it right now though.

• Skip to about 4 minutes for actual gameplay while he talks.

Anyhoo, this is FTP and in early access and is making all the right noises around not being pay to win.

Campaign is doing a quite good job of explaining things. 

And it does seem to be a cool mix of card and RTSish stuff. 

I may end up not having the patience, but I can see something there...

Worth a dabble.
  • Kow wrote:
    My 970 still runs almost everything just fine at high settings. But still, it'll soon be time for an upgrade. Just waiting for the vr moment to jump.
    Frosty wrote:
    Yeah, I just had a read of that digital foundry 2060 analysis and DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is pretty cool. Basically render a frame at a lower resolution then use AI to upscale it. It sounds promising and seems like it could be a good way of getting higher resolutions without needing to brute force it. Not much supports it right now though.

It does seem like new tech like ML could overcome the need for silly amounts of transistors. Also, eye-tracking seems like it'll be commonplace in VR headsets which means foveated rendering can allow modest cards to run VR well with high res panels. It'll be interesting to see how high res the Valve headset is.

https://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-perceptually-based-foveated-rendering-research/
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!