PC gaming.
  • Turn caravan into Ultimate Gaming Caravan and send the family to Spain.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spain is full. No more visitors.
  • Just wait until we all move there to escape the Brexit apocalypse.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You'll need visas by then...
  • Most games tend to do a pretty good job auto detecting the optimal settings for your PC.

If it's a nvidia card/chip then the geforce experience will auto optimises settings for what nvidia think they should be.

Between them I never need to bother changing any settings.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I run a 1050ti with an i7 7700 and 16bgs of DDR 4 and while I know Gurt has recommended against a 1050ti if you can get one for cheap like this it's definitely not a bad card. 

For context I can run games like Doom, Prey, Destiny, The Witcher and Battlefield on a mixture of medium to high settings at 1080p on 60fps.
  • Medium to high is fine for a laptop monitor size.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Dell are fairly competitive too at the moment and their systems aren't bad at all: https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/dell-g3-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop/cn35713
  • I'll try to work out what those numbers mean Gurt.

Here's an example -

UPCVyi9.jpg
    (I'm not necessarily recommending this particular model, if you find a model you like post it here and we can take a look to see if there's any issues.)

The "Intel Core i7-7700HQ" is the CPU, you can't tell from the i3/i5/i7 designation what the core/thread count will be, so copy and paste the model name into a google search. Look at the intel.ark site which will tell you everything you need to know. You can see there that it has 4 cores / 8 threads, which is the least you want, 6 cores / 12 threads would be even better. Don't bother with only 4 cores 4 threads now.

"16GB of DDR4" is the system memory, all you need to know is that 8GB is the bare minumum, and acceptable with a GPU that has at least 6GB of VRAM, but 16GB or accessible RAM slots that you can use to upgrade later on is highly desirable.

The "GTX 1060 with 6GB" is the graphics chip. The release schedule of new graphics hardware has slowed considerably due to lack of competition in the marketplace, and the 1060 has been around for 2 and half years now, there may be something new just around the corner, but the latest generation isn't that much better anyway. I would go for at least a 1060 6GB GPU to see you through the next few years without issues for 1080p gaming, it's approximately as powerful as the graphics chip in the Xbox One, though not like for like. A 1070 would be the next step up, but laptops with that chip seem to be quite a bit more expensive.

For the display, 1920x1080 resolution will be absolutely fine for a small screen. "IPS" is the LCD panel technology, it just means that colours and viewing angles should be really nice. VA is good too. If it says "TN" or doesn't mention the panel type in the specs then avoid. If you are someone who is quite sensitive to framerate and visual fluidity/game responsiveness then getting a display with a refresh rate higher than 60Hz is very highly recommended. Personally I'm never going to get another 60Hz screen again, I can't go back. But some people don't seem to be able to notice the difference. If you are just playing slow paced stuff then 60Hz is fine tbf, and most of the cheaper 144Hz laptops out there probably use TN panels anyway.

Those are the key specs to look out for, you probably also want to check reviews to see if the keyboard is decent.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Hmm, I'd nearly recommend going straight to an RTX 2060 if you are going to consider a 1060/1070?
  • The 2060 is a 1070/1080 equivalent, priced to match, isn't in laptops yet. There are rumors of an RTX-less 1660/ti and 1160, which will be the real successors.

7nm is when we will see real improvements in power/performance/price.
  • Ooh nice.
    In the market for a new notebook soon.
    A 500quid price hike is a bit ridiculous though even if it is rtx.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Ah well I stand corrected. Usually I will come across YT vids of reviews of the latest GPUs in laptops and such, either I missed them or the tech 'tubers and audience don't care enough. I think the latter is true, as the 2060 has been a bit underwhelming, hardly any improvement in price/perf. I really wouldn't bother with a 2060 laptop, far too expensive, and RTX is even more useless in a laptop scenario.

• I really do hope this guy is right and AMD is on the verge of a breakthrough with integrated apu's.
    It would totally revolutionise the gpu market for pc's and consoles.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Excellent piece of noob enlightenment there Gurt, much appreciated. I'll have a gander later on but my eyes are watering at the price. Surely I'll not need a top end graphics card just for Civ, FM2019 and a few Indies? Although they might come paired with the better processors.

Plenty of food for thought though, great stuff.
  • Gurt's suggestion is still good for entry level notebook gamers.
    The rtx model is certainly more hi end but so is the price.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My laptop is beastly but due to MSI fucking temps it sometimes hits 90 degrees on some games, so I mainly use it as an FM/indie machine.
  • Excellent piece of noob enlightenment there Gurt, much appreciated. I'll have a gander later on but my eyes are watering at the price. Surely I'll not need a top end graphics card just for Civ, FM2019 and a few Indies? Although they might come paired with the better processors. Plenty of food for thought though, great stuff.

No, you can definitely get by probably just fine with a 1050ti, I'm just reluctant to recommend it at this stage as you will be stuck with it for the life of the laptop. The 1060 is a significant upgrade, and is at the level of the most recent consoles so should have a good bit of life for years to come. Of course it will depend on your budget and how much you intend to use it.
  • My laptop is beastly but due to MSI fucking temps it sometimes hits 90 degrees on some games, so I mainly use it as an FM/indie machine.

You may want to open it up and replace the thermal paste for something decent, stock paste is shite. Also maybe you can tweak fan curves somewhere?
  • hunk wrote:
    I really do hope this guy is right and AMD is on the verge of a breakthrough with integrated apu's. It would totally revolutionise the gpu market for pc's and consoles.

Yeah it's all about to kick off this year in terms of CPUs, AMD have some serious stuff up their sleeve which we will be seeing shortly. Ryzen is still criminally underused by laptop manufacturers, 7nm should change that really.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:

Dicking about with the custom build stuff on this link currently. I'm down the rabbit hole lads.
  • My laptop is beastly but due to MSI fucking temps it sometimes hits 90 degrees on some games, so I mainly use it as an FM/indie machine.

without my consent
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I wouldn't trust myself to open it up without breaking it tbh. If I ramp up the fan to max it brings temps way down, by about 10-15 degrees but its loud af. Not too bad when I use headphones though.

Honestly though the only exclusives PC seems good for is strategy games and I've no interest in 'em, console does me fine for the bigger releases.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    My laptop is beastly but due to MSI fucking temps it sometimes hits 90 degrees on some games, so I mainly use it as an FM/indie machine.
    without my consent

heh
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
  • What's this Epic Store exclusivity bullshit?

90 C is fairly 'normal' for discrete gpu's in pc and notebooks in performance mode.
    Cooler temps would be preferable but considering the form factor constraints of small builds like notebooks...GPU/CPU will likely thermal throttle before things get out of hand.
    Stuff you could try to keep your laptop running cool: Undervolting with msi afterburner, repasting cpu/gpu, obligatory fan cleaning every year or so.
  • Most laptops tend to err on the side of silence over temps, most people care more about noise and don't really understand the impact thermals can have on performance and longevity.
  • What's this Epic Store exclusivity bullshit?

?
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!