Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They've exclusively got the new Metro game for their platform. Which is a dick move, frankly.
  • Yeah, timing is very dick. As steam page says, they've let a bunch of presales happen, which they will honour on steam. But 15 days out? Poor form.

(I'll still be buying it.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    They napped The Divsion 2 too. Erhm. Fuck all these launchers. Right pain in the arse, for the consumer.
  • Well, thankfully, I'm using it. And the free games are nice. But yeah.

Trying to think if launchbox solves this. I recall checking it out a while back, but there's clearly a gap in the market for some nerd to create a launcher that adds them all.

• launchbox how to

That's pre epic store, but reckon I might revisit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    So lads you're saying I can rock the laptop at ninety degrees? Im para as fuck when it goes eighty or above.
  • It's high but the temp might not be accurate. Have you tried other software?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Also, it should shut down before doing too much damage. Does it run ok with a heavy load??
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I use Throttle stop and that Riva in game. Tbf only game it goes that mental on is Ashen for some reason. Even Forza is low 80s at the best settings I can get, 75ish when I ramp the fan up.

Laptop.seems.fine in the 80s but touching it after is what brings the paranoia as could cook steak on it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also, it should shut down before doing too much damage. Does it run ok with a heavy load??

It's never once gone weird or shut itself down. I think the limit on the CPU is 100, GPU never goes above 70
  • 75 - 80 is fine I reckon. Just don't play Ashen maybe.
  • What cpu is it?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    i7 7700hq. Mobile chip, I turn turbo boost off as that shit fucking decimates temps. 90 degrees with it on playing Slay the Spire lol

Obviously if I run everything at 30fps, which I don't mind, temps are like 65-70
  • 90 is probably ok too tbh. I'd risk it unless it started shutting down. I'm always overclocking and when it shits itself the computer can hang but I just take it down a bit until it's ok. They're quite tough.
  • Seems to be a bit high for just playing games, but I don't know what the thermal solution is like in there. You could see huge improvement with a little bit of disassembly and thermal paste reapplication. If you search for the model name of your laptop and "disassembly" you will hopefully come across a guide that might give you an idea of how tricky it might be, don't be intimidated though, it usually isn't difficult (unless it's an Apple device).
  • I have some nice high end paste that I might possibly be able to lend to you if you don't want to buy some. Worth having though, so many devices end up ditched when they just need a little cleaning and repasting.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I checked a while back, I have to remove parts inside the laptop. I am.not good at.such jobs.
  • I'll try to work out what those numbers mean Gurt.

Here's an example -

UPCVyi9.jpg
    (I'm not necessarily recommending this particular model, if you find a model you like post it here and we can take a look to see if there's any issues.)

The "Intel Core i7-7700HQ" is the CPU, you can't tell from the i3/i5/i7 designation what the core/thread count will be, so copy and paste the model name into a google search. Look at the intel.ark site which will tell you everything you need to know. You can see there that it has 4 cores / 8 threads, which is the least you want, 6 cores / 12 threads would be even better. Don't bother with only 4 cores 4 threads now.

"16GB of DDR4" is the system memory, all you need to know is that 8GB is the bare minumum, and acceptable with a GPU that has at least 6GB of VRAM, but 16GB or accessible RAM slots that you can use to upgrade later on is highly desirable.

The "GTX 1060 with 6GB" is the graphics chip. The release schedule of new graphics hardware has slowed considerably due to lack of competition in the marketplace, and the 1060 has been around for 2 and half years now, there may be something new just around the corner, but the latest generation isn't that much better anyway. I would go for at least a 1060 6GB GPU to see you through the next few years without issues for 1080p gaming, it's approximately as powerful as the graphics chip in the Xbox One, though not like for like. A 1070 would be the next step up, but laptops with that chip seem to be quite a bit more expensive.

For the display, 1920x1080 resolution will be absolutely fine for a small screen. "IPS" is the LCD panel technology, it just means that colours and viewing angles should be really nice. VA is good too. If it says "TN" or doesn't mention the panel type in the specs then avoid. If you are someone who is quite sensitive to framerate and visual fluidity/game responsiveness then getting a display with a refresh rate higher than 60Hz is very highly recommended. Personally I'm never going to get another 60Hz screen again, I can't go back. But some people don't seem to be able to notice the difference. If you are just playing slow paced stuff then 60Hz is fine tbf, and most of the cheaper 144Hz laptops out there probably use TN panels anyway.

Those are the key specs to look out for, you probably also want to check reviews to see if the keyboard is decent.

I think that's the model up, basically, from mine.

Pretty sure I have similar numberwang, but Only 120g for ssd.

Can comfortably play a heck of a lot of new stuff on fairly high specs. See d2, and a few others. (heck, the surge is looking pretty great.)

Ds3 also looking resplendent.

If it's on steam and it says full controller support, particularly if it's on consoles as well, then it just works exactly as a console does. Plug in controller, play game.

Gripes: no universal yes I am a leet so invert y please. Occasionally games won't default look to more appropriate sensitivity for controller.

95% of the time this is fine.

(should also add that if you have bone and ps4 controllers you can use either if you think one would suit a game better.)

BTW, all, re-installed launchbox. Very easy to transfer steam games and random games across. Looks like I'll only have to manually add epic store games.

Very customisable.

Found this useful....

https://www.howtogeek.com/345677/organize-your-entire-video-game-collection-in-one-place-with-launchbox/amp/
  • I checked a while back, I have to remove parts inside the laptop. I am.not good at.such jobs.

For a bit of annual maintenance it's good to be familiar with your PC's innards, notebook or otherwise. Even if it's just removing the back/hatch to get to the ram, SSD or fans. Don't be affraid, in my experience PC's are quite resilient and the knowledge will come in handy if you need to replace and upgrade parts.

Could be newer games aren't as optimised for your chipset as can be. Keeping your drivers up to date helps with your rig running smooth.

But aye, repasting CPU/GPU is the surefire way to keep your pc running cool. Only do it if it's your last option and feel you are able and up to the task! Ask a friend who has done it before to assist. Or watch a YouTube how to vid. Don't go in unprepared and you'll probably be ok.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • DS, along with the other suggestions, I think you need to put a hoover* against the vents and remove a lot of dust.  90 degrees seems too high for a laptop when it's not maxing cpu.

*or equivalent safer method

Or just take it out of the case and put it in a mini pc case with fans.  The worlds first laptop/pc hybrid :-)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers for the feedback lads. As is I'm fine at the moment but if it gets progressively worse I'll get my cousin to repaste as he's PC mad.

Its mainly an indie machine which I'm happy about.
  • Turn the heating off and play Crisis with it when the snow hits.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't feel like opening a portal to another dimension
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's pc gone mad!
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    DS, along with the other suggestions, I think you need to put a hoover* against the vents and remove a lot of dust.  90 degrees seems too high for a laptop when it's not maxing cpu. *or equivalent safer method Or just take it out of the case and put it in a mini pc case with fans.  The worlds first laptop/pc hybrid :-)

This.
    Dust build up (due to pets, smoking and not cleaning the fans in general) is enemy nr. 1.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That's some heavy smoking. Won't somebody think of the laptops!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's some heavy smoking. Won't somebody think of the laptops!

I smoked 20 a day around it for a year so yeah fans are prob fucked.

There's a reputable, well known locally PC repair guy round here so I've emailed him asking for a quote for cleaning and paste re-application. I know for you PC bods its a simple job but you've no idea how cack handed I am.
  • Don't give the laptops blowbacks unless you're playing Polybius.
  • Denuvo now removed from RE7.  Can finally buy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!