PC gaming.
  • Kow wrote:
    I'd probably never get around to playing it so you have it. I'll fight you so that you take it!

Ok, here we go -

• Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Kow and Gurt at Tanagra.
  • Will sort later.

VPN has let Ara discover Once upon a time on US Netflix. Now my laptop isn't my laptop.....

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Officially giving up on upgrading my RAM. One of the reasons I bought my laptop was that it was (apparently) easy to access the internals. So today I decided to have a look at my RAM, to double check what HWiNFO was telling me. I get all the screws out and find that the bottom still won't come off. I did 'an Google' and found out you need to unclip the bottom too, which seems like a whole lot of effort. Apparently there's no cables attached to the external case, which is good. I may one day have to put a new battery in. But I don't know if I can be smegged with that rigmarole just to up my RAM a bit, when all I play is MTG Arena. (I've been doing a bit of Resi 2 recently, and that runs good enough.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Plastic clips can be a pain, I've found that old plastic credit cards or similar are really useful to wedge in and keep opened clips from closing again as you go round the edges. Probably depends on the specific design though, but it's worth trying out. Once you get started you'll probably find it's not that difficult. Shame it's not just a little door that can open with one screw, but I guess that's still better than so many other designs these days.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve not done it myself but have seen people use plectrums.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As a consumer, apart from cost n speed, and I guess those niche graphical features, are there any major things that amd / Nvidia can or cannot do? Like any whole games that don't work, or "Windows is Nvidia-only" level stuff? No, right?!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Did the whole variable framerate thing standardize yet, or is there that / monitor compatibility still??
  • Raytracing features will probably debut in amd cards next year alongside the launch of the next gen consoles. Might be better to wait for those.

Otherwise, the rx 5700 and 5700XT seem to deliver as promised when compared to nvidia's 2060/2070 super cards. Minus raytracing of course.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Freesync is the open standard here and is supported by amd. Nvidia uses its own proprietary standard gsync but I believe they're opening up their gpu's and are incorparating free sync support as of late?
    acemuzzy wrote:
    As a consumer, apart from cost n speed, and I guess those niche graphical features, are there any major things that amd / Nvidia can or cannot do? Like any whole games that don't work, or "Windows is Nvidia-only" level stuff? No, right?!

Nvidia supports hardware accelarated cores for raytracing but there's a catch. You'll have to drop resolution to 1080p or lower to get playable framerates to enjoy the eyecandies. AMD doesn't support hw accelarated raytracing. Yet. We'll have to wait for the launch of the next gen ps5/xbone next to see how their hwa rt implementation turns out.

It might even be there wont be a hwa ray tracing implementation with amd opting for a sw solution instead with all those cpu cores doing all the heavy lifting?
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Yeah Nvidia now allows the use of adaptive sync with Freesync displays, and they should work just as well as using them with an AMD GPU. This is a super great thing, actually came as a pleasant surprise when it was announced. The reliance on highly overpriced gsync monitors in order to get adaptive refresh was a major misgiving, but now I don't really have an issue with recommending an Nvidia card if the price is right.

I really wouldn't worry about a lack of raytracing support, as it's still very early days and the lower end RTX cards don't really have enough oomph a lot of the time either. In a year or two it might be a bigger deal. And anyway, I think they will support raytracing in games in the short term, just to what extent and performance I don't know.

All the new CPU and GPU review videos have dropped, so I'm going to be catching up on what the craic is. The Ryzen 9 3900X is looking like a BEAST though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm still lolling at PS5/Xbox 90000 saying they'll spunk out Ray Tracing as if its nothing.

Tbf though its a fucking outstanding thing to see in motion and the heft of the current NVidia cards means AMD can go swivel.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Nvidia supports hardware accelarated cores for raytracing but there's a catch. You'll have to drop resolution to 1080p or lower to get playable framerates to enjoy the eyecandies.

I'm running everything at 4k/1440p for RTX man, its easily doable with the right, albeit pricey, build.
  • Nvidia supports hardware accelarated cores for raytracing but there's a catch. You'll have to drop resolution to 1080p or lower to get playable framerates to enjoy the eyecandies.
    I'm running everything at 4k/1440p for RTX man, its easily doable.

Ah interesting.
    How severe is the rt performance hit in general? Very noticeable or slight? Is raytracing worth it or do you turn it off after a while in favor of raw performance?

I'm guessing AMD will eventually support raytracing by letting cpu cores do the heavy lifting. A software solution basically just like the driver patch nvidia did for the older gtx 10XX series.
  • Keep in mind that DS has a graphics card that costs around £1000 IIRC ;)

Mighty pricey.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Nvidia supports hardware accelarated cores for raytracing but there's a catch. You'll have to drop resolution to 1080p or lower to get playable framerates to enjoy the eyecandies.
    I'm running everything at 4k/1440p for RTX man, its easily doable.
    Ah interesting. How severe is the rt performance hit in general? Very noticeable or slight? Is raytracing worth it or do you turn it off after a while in favor of raw performance?

Taking Metro Exodus as an example:

4k, Ultra RTX, everything maxed gives around 30-40 fps. If I drop RTX to High (its a negligible difference) and enable DLSS I get a solid 60fps throughout. I can drop it to 1440p and have Ultra RTX with DLSS and easily hit 60fps.

BFV I run 1440p RTX maxed with DLSS on, everything maxed out bar SSAO and easy 60fps.

DLSS has come on leaps and bounds and the image quality is barely different to it being turned off. If I drop to 1080p the GPU lols its tits off regardless of what settings but I've gone full snob and can't enjoy that res anymore.

As for RTX in general, once I've seen it on I can't go back. Lighting and reflections in games look shit now compared to Metro and BFV when RTX is running. Shadow of the Tomb Raider gives very good real time shadows but it isn't a deal breaker.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    As an RTX example, here's Metro Exodus with it on (1st image) and off (2nd image). Spoilered as they're huge 4K image files.
    Spoiler:
  • For me I think smoother frame rates will take precedence, after experiencing upwards of 90 FPS I don't think I could go back. ;)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My monitor is 4k 60hz so ain't imperative to me at the moment (plus after trying 120Hz at my cousin's it only really seems a big thing for MP, I find 60 is fine for SP). I'm a graphics whore, bought a 4k capable machine so I'm getting every last drop.

See this tweet for the BFV difference as got an 11gig update and can't be fucked booting it lol

https://twitter.com/dan_mitre/status/1031599285576650757
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its also mental how much of a difference 4k looks compared to 1440p. But yeah, to get it almost or near maxed in 4k you're looking at easy 2k to dump into a system.
  • Yeah it seems that different people have very different experiences and perceptions with regards to framerate, if it's not so noticeable for you then it's handy as you can go with the cheaper and higher resolution displays and be dead happy. My next monitor upgrade is going to be expensive...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah it seems that different people have very different experiences and perceptions with regards to framerate, if it's not so noticeable for you then it's handy as you can go with the cheaper and higher resolution displays and be dead happy. My next monitor upgrade is going to be expensive...

Ain't gonna lie I've been eyeing up 1440p 144Hz monitors for down the line lol
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Final post on RTX - this is prob the best example video of it:

• So the TLDR on the new Ryzen CPUs -

Basically if you are buying a new system or upgrading an old one then go for Ryzen. Better value all around as they come with good coolers, and can run on cheap B450 motherboards and still be overclocked. For gaming Ryzen either pretty much matches or is just slightly behind Intel (like within 5-10%), if you are playing with either a midrange GPU or at a high resolution then it really won't matter. And the greater core and thread counts will make a difference as the years go by and newer games make more use of cores (this will continue to happen as the new consoles will have 16 threads I think) they will likely overtake Intel CPUs with less fewer cores, and be smoother in terms of frametime overall.

For productivity stuff, 3D, video, compiling or similar work then Ryzen 3000 absolutely smashes it, a massive improvement over the previous gen and pretty much beats Intel is nearly all cases. Single core performance basically matches Intel now, despite the lower clock speeds. There's been a big increase in IPC.

So unless there's some specific reason to go with an Intel processor at this point, like if you do esports and a particular game performs slightly better with a 9900K, then just buy Ryzen.

Keep in mind that you can expect the prices to drop further once Intel responds, by the end of the year there will be a 16 core for the AM4 motherboards, and you might see prices drop further.
  • Oh and also the power consumption is amazing low with the new CPUs, substantially improved over Intel's chips, meaning much lower cooler requirement and most importantly for someone like me, much much lower noise.
  • Ah, forgot all about DLSS, nvidia's upscaling (checkerboarding) trick.
    4k raytracing would probably not be possible without it.

Interesting tech for sure. Will be interesting to see AMD's take on this for pc and next gen consoles.
  • There's some stuff with the new AMD GPUs that's supposed to sustantially drop the input lag, but I haven't got around to those reviews yet so I'm not sure how well that really works. And I think they also have some kind of scaling trickery, again not read up on it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    4k raytracing is possible without DLSS but ya gotta ramp everything else down. Or run it at Medium

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!