isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I've found the Windows Gamepass quite often more in the beta range than you'd hope for.. 

Fairly often it just says I don't have access to any of the games I've downloaded or bought like moran Forza Horizon par example. 
    If I sign out and sign in again it tends to kick it up the arse for a while and make it all work again. For a bit...
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Nope, system is fine, weirdly if I turn off any networking it works... not sure what that’s about?

Welcome to PC gaming. It's trying to cater for a million different system permutations and something somewhere is going to go wrong. It's the way it is and you'll probably have to find some forums, ask some questions and try a few things, but it will be resolved if you have the time. 

The pros outweigh the cons though, and what you don't get in reliability is paid in spades elsewhere. PC gaming is proper ace. Make Steam a priority though. It's messy, bloated and absolutely great.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • PC gaming is mostly fine honestly, it's Microsoft that's the fucker.
  • PC gaming is mostly fine honestly, it's Microsoft that's the fucker.

Swings and roundabouts. Yes to Linux but they're no Oculus either, and they've arguably done more for PC than anyone. I'm not sure PC can be tamed tbh but agree it's good to be vigilant.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I'm going to chuck in here that the GoG beta launcher is legit.  Looks so nice and it hooks into most of the other launchers but there's so many these days.

New Steam launch is a lot better than the old.  Now all my installed games are nicely grouped.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, Gog Galaxy has been a cracker.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It suddenly lost track of my installs though, which is frustrating
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    GoG launcher won't pick up my steam games. How do I make it?
  • Subbax wrote:
    I'm going to chuck in here that the GoG beta launcher is legit.  Looks so nice and it hooks into most of the other launchers but there's so many these days. New Steam launch is a lot better than the old.  Now all my installed games are nicely grouped.

Genius!  Just installed it,  great shout!!!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GoG launcher won't pick up my steam games. How do I make it?

I just linked my account and they show up
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    That's the only downside to PC gaming, all the bloody launchers and service exclusive games. Some times it's hard to just browse for games as so many are locked behind different platforms.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just have the shortcuts in a folder on my desktop, never need to look at launchers unless I'm installing.
  • do all the launchers need to be open and active in my sys tray area?   I've got 8 sat consuming memory but if GoG does the lot can I bin off all the others?
  • Gonna say no. I only have have steam and Xbox beta installed at the moment, and have both set to not launch on start up. Works fine.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    do all the launchers need to be open and active in my sys tray area?   I've got 8 sat consuming memory but if GoG does the lot can I bin off all the others?

Correct.
  • Ffs. No to first q, yes to second. To be clear.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Gonna say no. I only have have steam and Xbox beta installed at the moment, and have both set to not launch on start up. Works fine.

Aye I only launch Steam. Rest can open when I wanna play something.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Wondering if I should enable or disable Smart Fan for the new rig? It was on by default for the CPU but off for system fans. CPU temps went up to 82 degrees playing Doom with Smart Fan on. 

Any thoughts? Can't seem to find any good reading material for this topic online.
  • I'm guessing that smart fan just the motherboard fan control. It will probably just be some preset curves, that may or may not take your hardware into account. Just run HWiNFO sensors and right click to bring up graphs, run a few stress tests, play some games, and manually adjust some curves as you see fit. I tend to keep my fans near minimum RPM during idle temps, then ramp up sharply for when it's needed. Automatic or preset fan curves will never be ideal for your specific config.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's motherboard yesa but can also be modified with MSI Command Centre. As far as I understand Smart Fan adjust fan speeds pending CPU and System heat so it scales. With Smart Fans on now the CPU is running at 53 degrees idle and the system temperature is around 29 degrees.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Actually a correction on that, CPU seems to be fluctuating from 38-55 randomly.
  • Yep, just a fan RPM/CPU temp curve thing. I would just tweak the curves manually to get a good balance between noise and temperature, then if I were you I would take some pictures of the curves and enter them into the actual BIOS version of the smart fan control. Just because these motherboard control programs tend to break during Windows updates, and generally add processing and startup bloat that isn't necessary.

Ryzen and most modern CPUs will tend to fluctuate like that, it's normal. Probably spiking up and down when due to the temp monitoring that will tick every few seconds.

Just use the PC normally and adjust things every so often to gradually dial in the optimal curves. As with most modern processors they can get quite hot without any damage, because they will automatically throttle a little to manage the load. 82 degrees is fine really, the clockspeed will just be a little bit down compared to if you had it sitting at around 60 degrees. I would just keep things below 90, or 85 to give you a bit of a buffer. Also keep in mind that it can take a while for the whole system to warm up when it's under sustained load, like 15-20 minutes or more.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah thanks for the info, came up with my own profile there and set a few thresholds for fan uptake. Removed the bloatware and just did it in the bios. 

Also, installed Doom. I also bought a set of wireless headphones today. Really want to try and reduce the mess around my setup. Went for Steelseries Arctis 7's. Have Dolby Atmos Surround installed as well. As you can imagine Doom sounds glorious. 

It's also my first time being able to experience what is arguably a stable of PC gaming in all it's glory. 70+ fps on ultra, yummy. Although I must admit I'm not really noticing 1440p but I suspect that's due to the 32" monitor. Bit too much real estate for that resolution.
  • Humble list available:

Frost Punk (and a DLC)
    Pathfinder Kingmaker
    Eliza
    Cryofall
    Shenzen I/O
    The Hex
    Warstone TD
    Nightcall.

(Great month btw, I claimed for myself: Okami HD, Book of Demons, Underhero, and Project Warlock.)
  • Frost punk for me if it’s going
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Frostpunk is on GP, so Eliza and Shenzen were the two that I had my eye. So if nobody else is keen...
  • Had some issues this weekend with games crashing or not starting or things getting very stuttery for long periods....  turns out I had a memory issue where old stuff wasn't being removed from active memory.   Now started using a tool "intelligent standby list cleaner" and everything even better than before...  whats going to be next issue and what tools do people run to get a smooth and seamless experience?     

on a side note, I would suggest everyone look at the intelligent cleaner thingy as its made life much better... until the next issue..
  • I shall send codes later today. Word.
  • Codes sent to charlie and ace.
  • Had some issues this weekend with games crashing or not starting or things getting very stuttery for long periods....  turns out I had a memory issue where old stuff wasn't being removed from active memory.   Now started using a tool "intelligent standby list cleaner" and everything even better than before...  whats going to be next issue and what tools do people run to get a smooth and seamless experience?      on a side note, I would suggest everyone look at the intelligent cleaner thingy as its made life much better... until the next issue..

Some interesting links when you search for that. Some very mixed reviews. I'ma let you be the guinea pig for a bit longer before I think about it. ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!