PC gaming.
  • Aye you really shouldn't need such a program, I've never used anything like that and not had general crashing or stuttering issues outside of specific game engines. Those problems sound indicative of some software conflict or configuration problem, or maybe a hardware issue.

Try removing any preinstalled bloatware or background processes, sometimes manufacturer's utilities can interfere in odd ways due to overlays or how they hook into games.

And perhaps run a test on your RAM, and stress test your CPU/GPU to see if there's some temperature problem. Also look to see if there are any recommended BIOS updates.
  • I knew an old Jimmy who swallowed a fly.....
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Reach continues to blow my mind. 
    lPt0elZ.jpg[/font][/size]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Codes sent to charlie and ace.

Legend!
  • Facewon wrote:
    Codes sent to charlie and ace.
    Many dankas
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Aye you really shouldn't need such a program, I've never used anything like that and not had general crashing or stuttering issues outside of specific game engines. Those problems sound indicative of some software conflict or configuration problem, or maybe a hardware issue. Try removing any preinstalled bloatware or background processes, sometimes manufacturer's utilities can interfere in odd ways due to overlays or how they hook into games. And perhaps run a test on your RAM, and stress test your CPU/GPU to see if there's some temperature problem. Also look to see if there are any recommended BIOS updates.

Aye, that is weird.
    An app like that really should not be necessary.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I got it from the ea forum as a lot of people were having a similar issue as me with battlefield V where the game would load to the menu and then crash out.   Apparently some users have had the issue since the 6.0 patch came out where the game keeps loading stuff into memory and doesn't do a good job on memory management.   whilst that program sounds a bit shonky its fixed my issues and I've seen some improvement in some other games.   Its a bit a roller coaster this PC gaming,  one day its clean and golden and the next day random issues...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh there's even a Humble Bundle plugin for GOG Galaxy.  I like it again now (cos it's also found my game installs again, once I resynced with steam n stuff).
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Reach continues to blow my mind.  lPt0elZ.jpg[/font][/size]
    regmcfly wrote:
    Reach continues to blow my mind.  lPt0elZ.jpg[/font][/size]

Have they fixed the audio issues yet?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Seems to - dialogue at least is better
  • FYI Jimmy, when I was looking up islc, this is the link that got me worried...

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/142425-messed-standby-list-cleaner-caused-some-odd-system-behavior.html

TBF, plenty of positive before finding that one.

My experience, being a relative noob, but also a vet of one shit I need to pay for a tech for this issue, is less is more.

Its easy to get gadget and download happy, but sometimes it's best to just strip back and start (and stay) clean and lean.

• Cheers fella, appreciate the follow up.   Ive run the sfc scan that was in the link and it all looks good,  im still finding my legs with the pc gaming lark, I think I need to reset my expectations that things should always work flawlessly like on a console (well relatively like a console).  New issue today with middle earth shadows of war, just crashes to desktop upon loading up and no idea why when its been running fine and I haven't installed or changed anything....   grrrr...
  • I can't remember the last time I had a crash on PC and I've been gaming on them for about half a decade now, you're getting super unlucky.
  • Yeah, I've had slightly more issues than that, but it's kinda relative to the games tried. Issues with aaa or other well backed multi plats are always minimal.

The more niche or old I get with games, the mroe issues. But even then, it's a Minority of titles.
  • I’ve had very few issues but I am careful about what I have running on mine.

I’m now on W10 so I expect my next 7 years of PC gaming to be 100fold worse than my W7’s equivalent period.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve really not had many issues Jimmy. The odd control scheme issue and a bit buggy first couple of tries on Oculus Link, which is obviously in beta. Could this be a hardware issue you’re having?
  • Yeah it definitely seems like some kind of hardware configuration or OS installation issue, I would start with the troubleshooting steps I previously mentioned. If you need more details on how to check a few things let me know, it's not too difficult.
  • GOG launcher is superb, shame it doesn’t work with joypad though

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GOG launcher is superb, shame it doesn’t work with joypad though

That's the one kicker.
  • Looks fecking ace though

• is it just me or is origin an obscene piece of shit?

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, it is
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QChrPRqP4gc&t=209s
    Pick this up last week in Early Access. Final went to full release yesterday. So far really enjoying it. If there are any ARPG fans out there you should give it a shot!
  • So I think im getting somewhere.....   turns out I had 5 different programs (pre-installed) that seem to all want to optimize my gaming experience automatically when I run a game.   Ive binned them all off and just have the game optimisation enabled in bullguard and so far its solid. :-)
  • There you go, thought it was some kind of software snarl-up. Honestly you could probably ditch bullguard too, for normal use just Windows Defender is fine. The fewer random bits of software you have running in the background that are trying to stick their oar in the better.

It's worth familiarising yourself with the task manager and running services in the details tab too. Will really help you minimise the amount of unnecessary CPU and RAM usage. If you hit Windows - type "services", you'll get a big list of all the random stuff that runs in the background. You should leave most of it alone, but there might be some random update or 'helper' services that don't need to be active all the time. You can right click on them and change their properties to have a manual startup or just disable them entirely. Read up on anything you aren't sure about though.

That's mainly just optimisation though, you really don't need to mess about much if you are keeping the system fairly clean and unbloated to start with. Less is more.
  • Like I just disabled a Wacom pen tablet service thing, saw that the drivers apparently phone home with all kinds of details about what programs you use and such, I've noticed small amounts of CPU usage all the time even when not using my tablet, so I can believe it. Got to watch out for this kind of rubbish, so many things are just mining your data which gets sold on and added to your marketing profile.

I've been pretty strict about what services I allow to run, anything not strictly necessary to run all the time I'll disable or make it a manual startup. So many programs have an auto-update thing for example, much better to have it prompt you if it's something you only use occasionally. I think that's what keeps my system generally running quite smoothly.
  • A PSA on bloatware, particularly relevant to those with laptops, or prebuilt PCs -

• Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I find Defender more than adequate, along with something like Malwarebytes. I cancelled my McAfee license on the phone the other day and the woman was trying to put the fear of god into me. I said, listen here FIEND Defender will be fine for me. Now cancel my subscription!

;)
  • Machine learning is gonna be a thing for games.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • the youtube video was very useful, ive been through and removed all the pre-installed stuff with the exception of dragon centre.  Boots much faster and so far no issues at all and it all feel much quicker.  Cheers guys for the help :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!