regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is a note to myself to download Secret Little Haven and Oneshot tomorrow. Sorry.
  • JMW wrote:
    I pay for 100Mb but rarely got above 50, even close to the router - now I can get at least 75, anywhere and with a signal that now goes out into my garden. So it’s not just the coverage, it’s fast everywhere too.

Internet in the garden is a lovely thing.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    WHAT ABOUT A SHORT HIKE

you can't miss out a short hike
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    WHAT ABOUT A SHORT HIKE

you can't miss out a short hike

I've played it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't really do demos these days, but FYI there's a few new ones out via the Steam Game Festival.  I'm gonna try out Roki, Neon Abyss, Eldest Souls and Desperados III.  I shall report back.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Hopefully you’ll be creating a thread for each one with a killer OP?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sheeeeet
  • Desperados sounds good like. Might give that a shot.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/16/desperados-3-is-out-now-and-its-great/
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What does the MODE button mean on my PC's chassis??
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Transformers! Robots in disguise!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Heh
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    What does the MODE button mean on my PC's chassis??

Probably RGB modes.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How does CPU overclocking work, while I'm here? Will that be on by default normally? Or a BIOS thing? Or what??
  • Err there may be some sort of overclocking or turbo thing enabled by default, depending on processor and board manufacturer. Usually not though, you enable it in the BIOS or via some software such as Ryzen Master. If you want to try your hand at it let me know your specs and I can advise further.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, it's probably to do with power saving etc. My old pc had one that I never ever used.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Err there may be some sort of overclocking or turbo thing enabled by default, depending on processor and board manufacturer. Usually not though, you enable it in the BIOS or via some software such as Ryzen Master. If you want to try your hand at it let me know your specs and I can advise further.

Yeah Ryzen Master looks to be my friend.  Thanks.  

So I've got a 3700X 8-Core.  The program has two profiles, but they're kinda the same, and both "default" control mode.  So I guess I change the "Game Mode" profile to be "Precision Boost Overdrive", or "Auto Overclocking" and see what happens?? And then I somehow tell it to use that profile?  And then I see if I can spot any difference?  Maybe not worth it till I'm actually playing a non-indie game :p
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I don't really do demos these days, but FYI there's a few new ones out via the Steam Game Festival.  I'm gonna try out Roki, Neon Abyss, Eldest Souls and Desperados III.  I shall report back.

Let's go baby. I did a bunch of demo downloading too. Different to above. Will also report back.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Err there may be some sort of overclocking or turbo thing enabled by default, depending on processor and board manufacturer. Usually not though, you enable it in the BIOS or via some software such as Ryzen Master. If you want to try your hand at it let me know your specs and I can advise further.
    Yeah Ryzen Master looks to be my friend.  Thanks.   So I've got a 3700X 8-Core.  The program has two profiles, but they're kinda the same, and both "default" control mode.  So I guess I change the "Game Mode" profile to be "Precision Boost Overdrive", or "Auto Overclocking" and see what happens?? And then I somehow tell it to use that profile?  And then I see if I can spot any difference?  Maybe not worth it till I'm actually playing a non-indie game :p

Ok so the first thing to check when attempting overclocking is to make sure that your voltages are at a safe level for long term use, you should check before you start and once you have applied a profile, just to make sure that it is not exceeding max recommended vcore. Apart from the high temperatures high voltage causes it can eventually degrade performance to where the CPU can no longer hold that clockspeed or even kill it in the worst case scenario. But as long as you are confident that the voltage is at a safe level it's nothing to worry about. You can even get your CPU to run more efficiently than the stock configuration by optimising the voltage to be as low as possible and still stable.

Download https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ And run it in sensors mode, then you want to look down the list of readings for the "CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN)", that's what it's called on my 2700X anyway. You can right click on that and choose to bring up a graph which will be helpful for keeping an eye on it as the CPU goes under variable load in a stock/PBO configuration, and for checking vdroop when running at a fixed clockspeed.

You also want to bring up:

CPU (Tdie) - this is the temperature of the CPU

VRM MOS - this may be called something different on your board but it is the approximate temperature of the motherboard's VRM, which you don't want to get too far over 100 degrees...

SOC voltage - can also be important, though it usually doesn't fluctuate much.

And you may want to bring up some fan speeds, the CPU cooler fan, and maybe the case fans. This will help you see how they are reacting to temperatures, if necessary you may want to go into your BIOS and adjust the fan speed curves to keep on top of the heat, or just to optimise for noise/cooling.

Honestly I'm struggling to find reliable information about what the max voltage 7nm Ryzen can run at without degradation in the long term, it's really quite complicated. I'm going to go ahead and recommend that you keep the vcore below 1.29v for an all-core 100% load, ideally a bit lower just to be safe. With the stock fluctuating clock speed mode or using PBO you will see the voltages going all over the place, often waay higher. This is fine, single core loads will run at higher voltage allowing those cores to reach their maximum stable speeds, as more cores are loaded towards 100% the voltages will drop down to keep temperatures and stability in check. So you'll see it spike all over the place with out of the box settings.

With all that said, you may just not want to bother with overclocking 3rd gen Ryzen. If it's just for a bit of fun and to learn about all these things then go ahead, but if you hoping to get a substantial improvement, like more than a few percent in most games and stuff, then you will likely be disappointed. Basically AMD have really optimised these chips to extract about as much performance out of them as possible at stock settings, this is great for the consumer, but perhaps a little boring for the overclocking enthusiast. It was a similar case with 2nd gen Ryzen, but there were still some good gains to be made depending on your silicon quality.

Reading up on PBO settings might be your best bet, for my 2700X I found that you really need to lower the voltage using the offset to make it worthwhile, as too high a voltage = higher temperatures = lower clocks due to it throttling down. So it was a case of trying to find the sweet spot for voltage to get a decent bump in performance without running the cooler fans at a crazy loud speed. I think 3rd gen Ryzen might be much the same, but I would have to read up on it.

Actually I think I might recommend trying to optimise your RAM speeds first, before all of this. You can get a decent bump in performance if you can get the RAM at a higher MHz or by lowering the timings to reduce latency. It's safer than messing with the CPU/VRM anyway. You should at least check that your RAM is running at it's rated speed, out of the box DDR4 will often just run at like 2400MHz or something, 3200Mhz is a big jump from that and will make a big difference in games.

Gah, I haven't really answered your question have I? I don't have experience with 3rd gen so it's hard for me to give solid advice. Probably best to just watch some things like this -

Basically just keeping the temperatures down as much and possible and optimising your RAM will probably do more for you than messing with PBO or overclocking.
  • Hades is fucking exceptional isn’t it?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Hades is fucking exceptional isn’t it?

yes it really is
  • Hades is fucking exceptional isn’t it?
    welcome
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Time to play wheel of Windows update! Yay.
  • Windows updates have been trash for the past 4 or so years. They've caused my w10 to randomly bluescreen, to overheat by messing with the cpu boost settings, to black screen and on top of that you often cannot reverse uninstall the buggy updates. I had to actually wait for a patch to fix the buggy update not knowing whether the patch would introduce new bugs. MS have promised to change testing policies but we'll just have to wait and see. Until then it's best to ignore windows update and just work with clean reinstalls every year or so.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Too late! Zing.
  • And it fucked things good.
  • *Prays for facewon*
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Worrying there's been no follow-up post from him lol
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Facewon wrote:

Let's go baby. I did a bunch of demo downloading too. Different to above. Will also report back.

I tried Grounded first in fact. Looks nice, but I've no idea what I'm doing, and it's like an open world (metaphorically at least) survival thing which is like my least favourite genre I think. So I'm not.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thanks for the overclocking info hurt will have when I'm getting braver and have something that's starting to struggle in my rig...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I tried Grounded first in fact. Looks nice, but I've no idea what I'm doing, and it's like an open world (metaphorically at least) survival thing which is like my least favourite genre I think. So I'm not.

Eldest Souls seems to have potential... I mean it's 2D souls, with a nice sword, and minimal storytelling, so shrug really at this stage, but I feel moderately optimistic about it at this stage.  Needs some tuning though, the second boss in the demo is a bit too ridic (in its second phase), and you've not even been able to level up by then.  Maybe I just need to git gud though.

Roki looks great, but a very short and simple demo, so I'm not particularly convinced how much of a game there'll be underneath.  Kinda point and click 3D affair?  Maybe it'll be OK?  Could suit others more than me I suppose...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!