Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I don't really do demos these days, but FYI there's a few new ones out via the Steam Game Festival.  I'm gonna try out Roki, Neon Abyss, Eldest Souls and Desperados III.  I shall report back.
    Let's go baby. I did a bunch of demo downloading too. Different to above. Will also report back.
    I tried Grounded first in fact. Looks nice, but I've no idea what I'm doing, and it's like an open world (metaphorically at least) survival thing which is like my least favourite genre I think. So I'm not.
    Eldest Souls seems to have potential... I mean it's 2D souls, with a nice sword, and minimal storytelling, so shrug really at this stage, but I feel moderately optimistic about it at this stage.  Needs some tuning though, the second boss in the demo is a bit too ridic (in its second phase), and you've not even been able to level up by then.  Maybe I just need to git gud though. 

Roki looks great, but a very short and simple demo, so I'm not particularly convinced how much of a game there'll be underneath.  Kinda point and click 3D affair?  Maybe it'll be OK?  Could suit others more than me I suppose...
    Next up, A Monster's Exhibition seems great.  TBH this should be a huge surprise, given it's maybe my favourite developer, certainly of indie puzzlers - Draknek, behind Sokobond, A Good Snowman is Hard to Build, and Cosmic Express - but I didn't know there was another in the works, and it again has charm, production values, and seemingly great inventiveness for a  small-ish set of mechanics, that I'm looking forward to a full release!

Neon Abyss next.  More IsaaC than Spelunky, a side-on roguelike with guns and random upgrades and too many things to properly understand and moderately hard progression and should you be careful or go balls out and what should you buy in the shop?  I suspect others will like, if it all comes together sensibly...

I mean I didn't get any of these weapons, so :shrug:...

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I don't really do demos these days, but FYI there's a few new ones out via the Steam Game Festival.  I'm gonna try out Roki, Neon Abyss, Eldest Souls and Desperados III.  I shall report back.
    Let's go baby. I did a bunch of demo downloading too. Different to above. Will also report back.
    I tried Grounded first in fact. Looks nice, but I've no idea what I'm doing, and it's like an open world (metaphorically at least) survival thing which is like my least favourite genre I think. So I'm not.
    Eldest Souls seems to have potential... I mean it's 2D souls, with a nice sword, and minimal storytelling, so shrug really at this stage, but I feel moderately optimistic about it at this stage.  Needs some tuning though, the second boss in the demo is a bit too ridic (in its second phase), and you've not even been able to level up by then.  Maybe I just need to git gud though.  

Roki looks great, but a very short and simple demo, so I'm not particularly convinced how much of a game there'll be underneath.  Kinda point and click 3D affair?  Maybe it'll be OK?  Could suit others more than me I suppose...
    Next up, A Monster's Exhibition seems great.  TBH this should be a huge surprise, given it's maybe my favourite developer, certainly of indie puzzlers - Draknek, behind Sokobond, A Good Snowman is Hard to Build, and Cosmic Express - but I didn't know there was another in the works, and it again has charm, production values, and seemingly great inventiveness for a  small-ish set of mechanics, that I'm looking forward to a full release!
    Neon Abyss next.  More IsaaC than Spelunky, a side-on roguelike with guns and random upgrades and too many things to properly understand and moderately hard progression and should you be careful or go balls out and what should you buy in the shop?  I suspect others will like, if it all comes together sensibly...

Last but not least, Desperados III.  Definitely getting some feelies for games I used to play like this back in the day, with some nice QOL improvements in slick gameplay, easy autosaves, better 3D with zoom etc. than these things used to have.  And it just seems kinda fun.  Reasonably generous demo too I think, though I ducked out midway through reckoning I could well get this at some point.  I also might try it again when my fancy monitor turns up (tomorrow apparently!).
  • @Gurt, your thoughts on laptops? ;)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • If you give me some links or specific models to compare I can take a look. If you are having issues with your current one you may want to consider a full clean reinstall if you haven't tried that already.

I believe the latest Ryzen mobile processors, the 4000 series, are supposed to be excellent. So one of those paired with like a 2060 or something would be a good combo. You might also want to check for SSD expansion slot accessiblity, as you can often get good deals on m.2 SSDs with a high capacity, and they'll only get cheaper.

Screen quality should be a major consideration, I highly recommend 120 or 144Hz for anything fast paced or even just general mouse movement and scrolling. If you mostly just play slow stuff then maybe a 60Hz is fine.
  • @Facewon
    The amount of blackscreens you get indicates something in DX11/12 is broken/corrupted probably due to windows update messing up either an update, an upgrade or both. You could try to fix the problem manually but a clean install is usually the fastest way to go. Pick up the latest w10 iso and try a clean reinstall and see how it fares. Make a backup of your important files first as you will lose all your files.

Pick up the iso here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Download the w10 iso with the creation tool and burn it with rufus https://rufus.ie/
    to create a bootable usb stick. Boot from the stick at startup and let the installer do its thing. After 20-30 min you should have a clean and up to date windows with DX11/12 functioning as it should (hopefully).
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/gaming-and-games/dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5500-laptop

I'm looking at this. I can get it for $1930 delivered.

Both ram and extra ssd are possible easily.

You'll see there's more expensive versions, one that's $2200, if that made diff, I'd think about it.

The predator Helios 300 is the other one I was looking at, but to actually match storage and spec it's $2600.

I have a mate at lenovo. He's checking if he gets discount that would bring their y740 legions into play.
  • After further consideration, I think I'm going for the G5 with the NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 instead of just the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5500-laptop/gn5id403au?view=configurations&configurationid=f0f0e743-4847-4d9f-9af2-9f1642cf69c5

(Also gets me 144hz screen instead of 60.)

Seems like a gurt approved sort of decision.
  • Ok, so reinstalled windows. Have just stuck with latest nvidia driver. Means cities, slay the spire and probably a few other random things won't work, but aaas like AC and destiny are working fine again. Will live with it until the Dell arrives.

• Also, with Nvidia Optimus laptops you have to make sure your games run on the Nvidia gpu, not the integrated Intel one. Check the Nvidia control panel and check the settings per game and change if need be.
  • Yeah, well versed on nvidia styles now. Basically, fuck that Acer for gaming. Being in a Sitcho where you're constantly having to avoid updates is always gonna catch up.
  • It's a gtx1050 in your model no? It's not even that old.
    At 999 the best current combo seems to be Intel 10th gen/ryzen4000 with a RTX2060 possibly the super ed. 16gb dual ch ram ofc.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Imagine the desktop you could get with that dollar
  • Aye, with desktop you could probably do a decent hi end rig at 1299-1500 if you choose your components right. Laptop still has that alluring thing of mobile tho' and easy to tidy up with space.
  • It is in the current one.

New one has that 2060. Not the super, but still. With 16gb ram. So good times.
  • Literally no where to use the desktop.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Mount it on a wall bracket
  • If I only played destiny this laptop would be fine. Shrug.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    New monitor is here!  So much resolution!  So many pixels!  So many hertz!

What's a good game to try max out some FPS with??
  • Doom, any fast paced shooter. Rally driving at high refresh is a revelation. Ace Combat is 100% more enjoyable also.

Check that it is actually running at the correct rate, Windows has a tendency to reset it to 60Hz when messing with settings. Just the difference in mouse cursor response should be very noticeable.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Jeez 100Gb for Dirt Ralley 2.0.  And I don't own doom.  Hmm might need to just try some high-res fare for now instead!
  • Even something old like Half Life 2 would be a good showcase of high refresh, should be butter smooth.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What The Golf was nice and smooth at 144Hz that's for sure :D
  • Like a rube I got the GOLDEN MYSTERY BUNDLE off Fanatical today.  I've been burned on this shit before!  Got Pony Island which I already owned, and this murderers row of shithouse games that no one has ever heard of before

Island Tribe
    Farm Mania Hot Vacation
    Oh My Gore
    World Ship Simulator
    Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today
    Blitzkreig Anthology
    Laser Disco Defenders
    European Ship Simulator
    Independence War

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    One of those games is made up and Wario is doing it to trick us. I'm sure of it. But which one.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    New PC + Steam Sale is a dangerous fickin combo.  The £5 off over £30 ain't helping.  Looks like it runs till 9 July though, so I'm gonna wait to see what happens in Friday's Humble Choice before doing anything too rash...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, see the deals thread for my insane purchases to rock through before baby.

• Oh man, this kind of customisability should become standard in laptops.
    If only they could keep the cooling silent...
    Should give the next gen consoles a run for their money.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    One of those games is made up and Wario is doing it to trick us. I'm sure of it. But which one.

Haha, wish I was joking mate. Was only $12AUD for the lot, but it’s still an embarrassing feeling realising you’ve paid actual money for something called Farm Mania Hot Vacation.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • This is why you should CLEAN YOUR SHIT -

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!