Halloween
  • Cross Post from twitch thread

I done it.

7wXnNR7.jpg

IT'S THE TWO TIME BABY

Ahahaha brilliant!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm off to the woods tonight for a Halloween thing.  It's by the folk at Duncarron, who normally do historical re-enactments.  It might be absolute shite but I think it has the potential to be a good laugh.

As for Halloween itself, last year was obviously a write off.  Dunno what people will be doing this year but I bought one of those grabber things so I can keep my distance from the diseased little gremlins if they knock on the door.  Not that they like to get too close anyway.

Keeping myself busy making:

ZSiOZBz.jpg

7Ww7oWt.jpg

3Cqq3Le.jpg
  • Making or, um, harvesting?
  • Harvesting is a form of making.
  • Those are ace.  How are you making them?
  • Great stuff!
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Those are ace.  How are you making them?

For the skulls, take a cheap skull that you buy in just about any shop.  Bit of brown acrylic paint and water to give it a dirty look.  Latex and tissue paper on top of that to create the 'skin'.  Once that's dried, you can add any mix of green/brown/black until you have the desired look.  I have no skill at all when it comes to painting so it's handy that the messier it looks, the more authentic it is.  

The stacked ones have eyelids from an old mask latexed on that give it the more realistic look.
  • Nice one Matt. Looks great.

I moved house this year and it seems my new area goes bananas for Halloween. Makes sense everyone was keen to get out after our insanely long lockdowns. Was a perfect day for it too.
    Felt bad I didn't have any treats or anything set up, I would have loved Halloween as a kid.
    Definitely shouldn't have been gardening out the front either, it did invite some heckling from the kids but it was good to see them all having fun and some excellent costumes with a Coraline being the fave of what I saw.

Will try to do something next year.
  • Kids are divided when I open the door.

gz8KV16.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Cross Post from twitch thread

I done it.

7wXnNR7.jpg

IT'S THE TWO TIME BABY

Ahahaha brilliant!

@poorlyagedthings
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Kids are divided when I open the door. gz8KV16.jpg
    Absolute scenes!
  • That's brilliant.

On the other hand, my wife's grandma was in the house when we took our kids trick or treating. We just came back to find that once she'd run out of sweets, she started giving out all the other delicious treats we had in the house, including the gingerbread men our son had made for homework.

Fucks alive, woman!
  • *chuckle*
  • Hahaha brilliant.

When I was a teenager I was in the house alone on Halloween.  Completely forgot all about it and was sitting watching TV when the door went.  Answered the door and realised that I had fuck all in the house.  They got two digestives each before I switched all the lights off and went upstairs.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I am home alone. The bell has gone once and been ignored. Living the Halloween dream.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have had about a half dozen callers - we have families with young un's all around us. Where we where 20 years ago...  Sigh.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Have had about 40 door rings this evening. Only one youth informing me if I kicked him (?) he was going to bang me in my face.

Money heist costume gone down well
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've always had a big bowl of sweets for Halloween but never a single trick or treater (it's not a thing here, really). Until tonight, which is both the first night had kids ring the doorbell and the first night I've no sweets at all. So after years of patiently explaining to all and sundry that Halloween is not American, that it is in fact irish in origin, the only Irish guy on the street has lights off and curtains drawn. I guess that's kind of a Halloween tradition too.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

'Tis Halloween.

Matt_82 wrote:
    They got two digestives each before I switched all the lights off and went upstairs.

That's worse than yer Lord of Bones!

Punching only MK.

No, that's Mega Drive Street Fighter II without its pad.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I never bothered as a kid. I'd stay at home warm and put on a game or something, rather than traipse around in the cold for a few KitKats and Penguins. There was a Christian dude who used to hand out leaflets about scaring the elderly.

I didn't like travelling fairgrounds, carnivals or fireworks, either. The last two because it's too cold to be standing around at this time of year.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Don't make me scrub the sports thread for your 10IAR chat, chief.
  • Didn't realise Halloween was Irish. I'll need to look the history of it now
  • Trick or treaters back in force yesterday and fortunately still obeying the 'only call on hiuses with decorations' rule.

Wife and I hated Halloween until the sprog came along (we previously lived on a rough estate where adults would trick or treat after the kids asking tins of booze - we got egged a few times), but now it's become a real tradition thing. This year took my daughter to see Beetlejuice in the cinema and afterwards carved pumpkins based on the film.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Didn't realise Halloween was Irish. I'll need to look the history of it now

Originally it was turnips, not pumpkins, that were put out on Halloween. If I recall correctly.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Didn't realise Halloween was Irish. I'll need to look the history of it now
    Originally it was turnips, not pumpkins, that were put out on Halloween. If I recall correctly.

That is indeed correct. The pumpkin was the American influence.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was, yeah.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bangin’ efforts their Matt and Gav.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    There was a Christian dude who used to hand out leaflets about scaring the elderly..

That's a good idea. Kids don't always have enough experience to know how to scare grouchy, old bastards properly.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When I was a kid in the 70s, Halloween was a big thing in NI and I always considered it an Irish thing. The next day is a Holy day (All Saints day) which might explain that since we are mostly religious maniacs over here. :)   I don't remember it even getting much of a mention on the national news until later years. It was all about 5th Nov in England back then.

Turnip lanterns were the thing (and a hell of a lot more work than pumpkins) The apple seems to feature in Halloween too - possibly harkening back to a post harvest celebration. Apple tarts (not pies) with coins inside them, bobbing for apples, toffee/candied apples all featured as part of the celebration.  Monkey nuts (unshelled peanuts) were also part of the fayre.

Kids went around the doors but the phrase "trick or treat" wasn't mentioned.

I always felt that America had pinched it off us.

Fireworks weren't a part of it since they are banned during the troubles. We were reduced to using sparklers, bengal matches and the like. The infamous "indoor fireworks" provided an annual disappointment. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!