Halloween
  • My kids loved it last night, my wife invited a few of their school friends over for "spooky picnic" which was mostly themed party foods followed by us trapsing about town with their friends and parents in tow. Was quite good fun, lots of kids out and about and everyone smiling and laughing. All observing the "only houses with decorations rule" and some of the houses nearby really went to town, often opening the door in costume and play acting for the kids. Was really lovely.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK wrote:
    When I was a kid in the 70s, Halloween was a big thing in NI and I always considered it an Irish thing. The next day is a Holy day (All Saints day) which might explain that since we are mostly religious maniacs over here. :)   I don't remember it even getting much of a mention on the national news until later years. It was all about 5th Nov in England back then.

Turnip lanterns were the thing (and a hell of a lot more work than pumpkins) The apple seems to feature in Halloween too - possibly harkening back to a post harvest celebration. Apple tarts (not pies) with coins inside them, bobbing for apples, toffee/candied apples all featured as part of the celebration.  Monkey nuts (unshelled peanuts) were also part of the fayre.

Kids went around the doors but the phrase "trick or treat" wasn't mentioned.

I always felt that America had pinched it off us.

Fireworks weren't a part of it since they are banned during the troubles. We were reduced to using sparklers, bengal matches and the like. The infamous "indoor fireworks" provided an annual disappointment. :)

I wonder if the large numbers of Irish immigrants in the US are responsible for the big Halloween celebrations there?

Oddly enough, my Twitter feed today has lots of turnip jack o lantern posts with images. You could do a really good relief sculpture on a turnip, but pumpkins definitely allow for easier shading/ grades of illumination when carving.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, Halloween clearly went to the US with the mass immigrations from Ireland beginning in the mid 19th century.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yup. An Irish export / immigration thing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I hate Halloween. The missus loves it though, so I was forced into carving a pumpkin.
    Nothing remarkable, but it killed an hour.

S67k3Pfh.jpg

Still haven't learnt how to take proper photos in the dark.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Nothing remarkable, he says. That’s absolutely brilliant, dynamite.
    Get schwifty.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Far too modest dyna, tis a pumpin’ job.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy shit. That's proper talent right there.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh, it's a bird. I couldn't see what it was. That's not a criticism of the job, just my eyesight.
  • Aye, that's very impressive mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Thanks guys. :]

Kow wrote:
    Oh, it's a bird. I couldn't see what it was. That's not a criticism of the job, just my eyesight.

One or two people were confused by what it was, which was why I was questioning it. I think it's because everyone expects to see spooky stuff on a pumpkin. X'D

Will do something more appropriate if I get the chance next year. Need to learn to be more tidy/precise too.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • some of the pumpkins which are near my house are basically professional level. Absolute scenes i tell you. There's also a house three roads away which has a 6 foot spider on the wall of the house. It's terrifying. 

Need to stop buying tat stuff and invest in something themed. I'm thinking skulls and I could spray paint them. Had a motion sensor skull from sainbury's poking through a halloweeen themed wreath last night on the door which scared a few kids :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I was playing with the idea of creating a "Peppers Ghost" illusion in my lounge window for the neighbourhood kids. Just didnt get the time this year, what with house purchase, selling and packing up all stuff in the house and countless runs to the recycling plant.

Next year in our new place I'll have some great stuff planned.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some years we make an effort. Have a large box of decent spooks and decorations etc. Couldnt be arsed this year....had a themed welcome mat outside the front door and 2 plastic pumpkins (which look quite realistic) with half knackered batteries in them. But it was enough to let callers know we were participating.

Wifey noted our efforts so will do more next year.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Made an effort this year.

jGQ5jer.jpg

Sitting by a fire for hours has it’s own rewards plus spooked a few of the little buggers too.
  • Made an effort this year. cAOkqJd.jpg Sitting by a fire for hours has it’s own rewards plus spooked a few of the little buggers too.

Thats brilliant. Trust you
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's an effort.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Thanks chaps, the skeletal spider on the steps (bone in mouth) surrounded what looks like bog roll are cobwebs. Fortunately it was a tad windy which made them sway quite nicely.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Looks like you've lost a bit of weight, glad to see you're still smiling though
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    A little black dress always works wonders.
  • Aye that's  great. Nice work.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!