Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Cosby wrote:
    I dont want to live in a world without mental Nic Cage films.
    Imagine a mental Cage Superman film though! Might be just the antidote to the recent efforts.

After the atrocity of B v S, I'd gladly take a bat shit crazy Nic Cage Superman film.

Aye. Nic Cage and Adam West could have pulled off the Martha reveal.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    WORST SCREEN COMBO

The Entire Cast of Once Respected Actors for “Collateral Beauty”

Chuckle.

I don't get why there is so much Gods of Egypt (I rather enjoyed it) and there isn't more Suicide Squad.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I saw Jackie last night. I'm not sure if the cinema messed up the projection or if the picture had been intentionally graded to look dark and quite low contrast to provide an ageing effect, but I found that distracting throughout. Prominent actors kept on popping up in minor roles, which was also distracting. The score was interesting, but occasionally overbearing. I didn't need to see a specific shot that they held back towards the end. Natalie Portman was great but it was an odd film.
  • I watched whiplash last night.  it's pretty good.  it's what i class in my idiotic way to be a 'filmy film'...it's enjoyable to watch, and i could imagine myself catching it halfway through when flicking tv channels at midnight, staying up later than intended to watch the rest....but not sure i'd go out of my way to watch again.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Don't patronise us with your explanations; we know what filmy films are.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I was surprised by how frowned upon smoking is in L.A. Fuck those cunts. Seriously.

Maybe I should move there.

Batfleck was fine, no idea how he's ended up on that list. Everything else was the problem with that film.
  • No Best Actress Oscar nomination for Amy Adams. I’m scandalised.
  • Arrival.

It’s nominated for Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, and Best Director. Adams singlehandedly carried the film, so I’m surprised to not see her in there personally as well.
  • Arrival. 

The old people at the Academy switched that screener off as soon as they realised it was science fiction.
  • I_R wrote:
    The old people at the Academy switched that screener off as soon as they realised it was science fiction.
    poprock wrote:
    It’s nominated for Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, and Best Director.

Heh.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Arrival is up for sound mixing and editing, but not original score? Passengers is up for original score (fortunately not the end credit song).
  • Man, I hate awards. Whether it's film, games, design, music or whatever. They're basically bought and sold and anyone that thinks they're an actual indicator of importance/quality seriously needs a reality check.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Jaco wrote:
    Man, I hate awards. Whether it's film, games, design, music or whatever. They're basically bought and sold and anyone that thinks they're an actual indicator of importance/quality seriously needs a reality check.

Load of old bollocks, aren't they?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • @Gremill Absolutely. I used to think there was some measure of merit in them, then found out how much is spent on campaigns, bribing judges, how much it costs to attend etc. Madness. Studio I used to work at budgeted £10,000 a year for just attending design awards - rumour was they spent at least that on "gifts" for the judges too. Dread to think how much it costs to buy an Oscar.

I've no doubt the Academy throw a bone to two to films seen as 'indie', low-budget or "important", but mostly (to quote Rowan Atkinson), this is how I feel:

"What could be more dull than the sordid, back-slapping sessions where has-beens in tuxedos hand over to even older has-beens in tuxedos, awards for plays that closed the week before the opened, because the audience were clamouring instead for tickets to Andrew Lloyd Webber’s latest rearrangement of Evita to suit the vocal range of Kylie Minogue."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My take on teh Oscars going off what I want to happen:
    Spoiler:
  • I think it was Adam Ruins Everything that pegged an Oscar nomination at about 10 mill.
  • I think it was Adam Ruins Everything that pegged an Oscar nomination at about 10 mill.

Crikey. You could make a couple of low-budget indies for that...
  • krs wrote:
    Don't patronise us with your explanations; we know what filmy films are.
    Sorry, bad sentence structure.  i know you all know what filmy films are....the bit after was my review. ;)
    Explaining a filmy film would need to get more technical, saying things like 'actors acting' etc...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes we know, it's actory acting. Condescending bastard!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bastardy bastard.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Jaco don't go dissin Kylie, I'll scratch your eyes out.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I watched "Miss Sharon Jones!" last night.  (Netflix)  I usually avoid film or TV that's medical in nature as it feels a bit too much like being at work, but I've always enjoyed Sharon Jones' records, so I thought it would be interesting to find out more about her.

Turns out she was amazing.  (The past tense there is missing from the film, which was made before she died, and when she was seemingly in remission, a cloud that inadvertently hangs over the whole film.)  It's a slightly odd documentary - it clearly started life as an attempt to show the journey from being a woman deemed "too small, too fat, too ugly and too black" to make it, to being, well, a singer who makes it.

Instead that story is pretty much reduced to a pre-titles montage, and the documentary instead follows her battle with pancreatic cancer.  It does a damn good job of doing so too.  It helps that Jones is, for the most part, good company - a clearly somewhat indomitable woman who's used to life throwing stuff in her way, and adept at pushing right back.  Which is why the brief moments when she succumbs are so damn heart-wrenching.  

It also catches the effect it has on those around her - genuinely terrified on behalf of their friend, but also all too aware that their livelihood is intrinsically tied up with her fate.  Her journey through the Hell of Chemo, and out the other side is told is told with a level of honesty you often don't see in such movies - and there's a scene of properly bad doctoring that I shall have fun showing our students in future.

If you've any interest in either the music, or the story, it's worth a look.
  • I’ve been eagerly anticipating that arriving on Netflix. Cheers for the heads-up, Tin.
  • poprock wrote:
    No Best Actress Oscar nomination for Amy Adams. I’m scandalised.
    FD2CDD3D-9952-4604-9EAC-2BECD52FA808_zpsm4mgrb1h.jpg
  • I'm sure you lot are watching different versions of the films that i watch.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Jaco don't go dissin Kylie, I'll scratch your eyes out.

It was Rowan, not me.

She is, of course, a severely overrated abomination that our antipodean cousins thrust uncaringly upon the world of music though. So yeah, bite me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    No Best Actress Oscar nomination for Amy Adams. I’m scandalised.
    FD2CDD3D-9952-4604-9EAC-2BECD52FA808_zpsm4mgrb1h.jpg

There is a good chance that her vote was split because of her 2 good movies.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I watched "Miss Sharon Jones!" last night.  (Netflix)  I usually avoid film or TV that's medical in nature as it feels a bit too much like being at work, but I've always enjoyed Sharon Jones' records, so I thought it would be interesting to find out more about her.

Turns out she was amazing.  (The past tense there is missing from the film, which was made before she died, and when she was seemingly in remission, a cloud that inadvertently hangs over the whole film.)  It's a slightly odd documentary - it clearly started life as an attempt to show the journey from being a woman deemed "too small, too fat, too ugly and too black" to make it, to being, well, a singer who makes it.

Instead that story is pretty much reduced to a pre-titles montage, and the documentary instead follows her battle with pancreatic cancer.  It does a damn good job of doing so too.  It helps that Jones is, for the most part, good company - a clearly somewhat indomitable woman who's used to life throwing stuff in her way, and adept at pushing right back.  Which is why the brief moments when she succumbs are so damn heart-wrenching.  

It also catches the effect it has on those around her - genuinely terrified on behalf of their friend, but also all too aware that their livelihood is intrinsically tied up with her fate.  Her journey through the Hell of Chemo, and out the other side is told is told with a level of honesty you often don't see in such movies - and there's a scene of properly bad doctoring that I shall have fun showing our students in future.

If you've any interest in either the music, or the story, it's worth a look.

I'm keen to watch this. She was definitely one of the best live performances I've seen. Just pure energy non-stop for like 40 minutes (festival show). I was hoping to have a chance to see her again but now I'm just glad I got to see her at all.

I also hope Denis wins best director. Even though he doesn't seem to struggle to get films made it will be nice for him to have the extra clout.

I think I remember that David Lynch had a campaign for Laura Dern to be nominated for best actress for Inland Empire. It involved standing on the side of the road with "Laura Dern for Best Actress" painted on the side of a cow.
  • david-lynch-cow-laura-dern-oscar-inland-empire.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!