Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • The more I play of this the less I like it.  It takes an age to mop up enemies in the battle bottlenecks, then a single corruptor can hop about until it lands on you, or chuck a boulder at you while you're running away and kill you.  Then it's back to square one after a full minute of reloading the area, with all 15 or so enemies back in place. 

I just sat through a story section that involved watching three holographic conversations in a row.  Did Edge really say this game pushes videogame storytelling forward, or something along those lines?  The dialogue in the second one was atrocious.
    Spoiler:
    It's a gorgeous game, and certain things work very well, but the combat strikes me as poor and there don't seem to be enough patches of long grass for the stealth to be worth bothering with, especially considering how long it takes to load.  I've ended up adopting a very gung-ho approach, which feels a bit shit.  I'm probably 7 or 8 hours in now, and unfortunately I just want it to end at this point (the credits are presumably 10hrs away).  It started well and I've enjoyed a fair chunk of it so far, but it's got its work cut out to settle on anything higher than a [7] based on my last two sessions.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sounds like you need to git gud
  • All these amazing games are bound to cause some burnout. I want this if anyone wants to offload....
  • @Moot_Geeza Have you tried shooting Corrupters with the rope gun?, because that tethers them to the spot and prevents them hopping about.

Agree about Edge going ott re the storytelling, but then again I'm not really paying that much attention to the plot, just having fun killing Robot Dinosaurs.

I'm finding the combat v. solid and robust. Stealth almost feels overpowered and sliding into long grass has got me out of many a tough scrap. Mind you, I am sporting a top of the line purple stealth garb with extra stealth mods.

Things can get a bit samey after a while, but then I turn the corner and up pops a new exotic metallic beastie for me to slay.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Agree about Edge going ott re the storytelling

I only spent a couple of days with it, but 'OTT' doesn't even begin to cover how catastrophically wrong they are on this particular point.
  • I'm starting to wonder if someone accidentally transferred some copy from their NieR review into the Horizon review
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    @Moot_Geeza Have you tried shooting Corrupters with the rope gun?, because that tethers them to the spot and prevents them hopping about. Agree about Edge going ott re the storytelling, but then again I'm not really paying that much attention to the plot, just having fun killing Robot Dinosaurs. I'm finding the combat v. solid and robust. Stealth almost feels overpowered and sliding into long grass has got me out of many a tough scrap. Mind you, I am sporting a top of the line purple stealth garb with extra stealth mods. Things can get a bit samey after a while, but then I turn the corner and up pops a new exotic metallic beastie for me to slay.

I'll try the rope gun, thanks.  I bought it fairly recently but haven't assigned it to a weapon slot yet (which would mean removing something else, which I'm wary of doing in case I bump a superior weapon).  Too much hand holding is a complaint I see quite regularly when people criticise games, but I like to a) have it held, and b) have my character yanked towards the correct course of action.  Horizon isn't at fault for not doing this, it's probably one of the reasons it's been so well received, but it's also one of the reasons why I'm struggling.  It allows the player to discover its intricacies in an unforced way - either that or I'm just not used to this level of item management.  I'd quite like these games to have an idiot button in case of emergency, AKA the infamous Navi prompt, or even a 'click here to auto-tune stats' option.           

With regards to the combat, the close quarters stuff is particularly poor imo, and although there's not much wrong with the shooting mechanics I'm not particularly taken with it.  The climbing sections are weak too.  My last session mostly involved holding either up, left or right, or watching holograms perform scenes from a sci-fi Sunset Beach.  I don't want to be too down on it (Sunset Beach was harsh, it's more A Quorn Antiques), because I was really enjoying it for the first four hours or so, but it's taken a bit of a nosedive.        

Perhaps I shouldn't have tackled this immediately after Mad Max.  I'll need a palate cleanser before Zelda.  Less can be more for a while.  One thing's for sure, it's absolutely stunning to look at.
  • Me again.  Another session, another couple of moans.  The GeoTherm puzzle is probably the worst example of anything that needs to be solved in any of these third person adventure games.  Makes Uncharted look like The Witness.
    Spoiler:
    Shortly after that little brainteaser I hit a boss that kicks me back into the preceding corridor when Aloy dies.  So I have to recraft my ammo as for some reason it I'm light when it reloads (even though I topped up after the previous battle), go through the door and skip the cut scene every time I snuff it.  Which coupled with the loading is about a 90 second wait to get back into the action.  Surely putting the player straight back into the fray is commonplace these days?
  • Also (plot):
    Spoiler:
  • Yes. I was a little surprised at the checkpointing on that one as well.
    Seemed to be an oversight in a game that was pretty on the money for quality of life tings. 
    There's another odd checkpoint just a teensy bit further on in the game as well Btw.
    be warned!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • It sounds minor, as 10 years ago getting plonked outside the door you died behind would be considered a luxury, but it really ate into my hour.  Plus that boss is routinely destroying the shit out of me.
  • I'm 4 missions off finishing so I'll stick with it but this is essentially shite. Nice to look at but now I'm over fighting the robots there is nothing left for it to offer. The world is so empty. 6 at best. All these 9 reviews stink of back alley blowies.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Go fight a Storm Hawk and then tell me this is nothing but a solid [8]
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I tried and died.  [7]

I think my main problem with the game is that I'm reluctant to turn myself into a hyper-Aloy combat chassis by boosting my stats with side quests, partly because I've got other games I want to move onto.  Aside from a minor diversion where I went looking for a sword someone had stolen (and gave up once the destination was revealed), I've just been moving from main mission to main mission, which has undoubtedly left me a little underpowered.
  • You don't get this in Zelda do you?

C74KRQ5XUAUGBfJ.jpg
  • Horizon [0] Dawn
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • ----[((0))]----
  • Completed shite.

Appalling.

half the budget went on securing those review scores.
  • AAA game, get out of here.
  • It's £60 of content that's worth a shiny chalice.
  • We all love a shiny chalice.
  • I finished the story last night and I thought it was a great game.

There's some stunning vistas out there and the way you can approach some of the open world set pieces in a variety of ways is also cool.  Some of the story/side mission quests that have you taking on big bads are cool but, for me, stumbling across 2 thunderjaws and working out the best way to take them out typifies what the game has hidden away.

Not sure if I'm going to go back and complete all side missions etc but I'll make a start on it and see how it goes.

Enjoyed reading a lot of the data logs to get the flavour of what went on.

Impressed.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • I assume I'm near the end, as I've reached a section that most of these games seem to contain - the 'have you mopped up all the other bits you want to?' point of no return.  It's rare that I'm so down on a game that I bother to finish, but I just want it to end now. 

I want to like it, and it gets certain things right, but it's a [6] for my tastes.
  • I'm at the end(?) bit where you're outside the city walls and have some hand cannons at your disposal to mow down waves of enemies. 'Cept I've got no fookin' potions left and there ain't no mushrooms for me to eat either.  So I keep on dying.  Bummer.
  • I've started this and it reminds me of tomb raider, which is a very good thing for me.
    Looking forward to exploring further. It looks amazing.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I enjoyed my two days with it before the Switch launched. Looking forward to continuing, some day.

Good to see you back.
  • I've just started this too. Certainly is pretty. The voice acting is already a little ropey though and I look forward to when games can really selling the characters sounding like they're in the world. It all just sounds like a voice booth even when the person talking is 50m away.

But otherwise seems fun.
  • I needed something fun to play after finishing demons souls tbh.
    If it continues like it's going I'll be happy to Potter about in the world.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    You don't get this in Zelda do you?

C74KRQ5XUAUGBfJ.jpg

No, you get far better actually.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!