Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Thought you meant the whirligig saw.  You get the wheel from Cainhurst or murdering an NPC iirc.  It's big, blunt and impractically slow so it ticks a lot of my boxes.
  • Sounds perfect. I need to flatten things and send them flying. Does it do those things?
  • Dubs wrote:
    Thought you meant the whirligig saw.  You get the wheel from Cainhurst or murdering an NPC iirc.  It's big, blunt and impractically slow so it ticks a lot of my boxes.

oh, i did mean the whirler

Don't listen to Dubs, he's always been a hipster.
  • I'm done with this game. No desire to carry on and see more. The combat is a step backwards and the story is indecipherable bobbins. I've no idea why I'm doing anything. The bosses have been some of the worst in the Souls series by a long shot - all flappy beasts with arms and legs everywhere so you can't focus on anything. Only two have stood out at all. The move to more action just makes it feel like a run of the mill hack n slash at times. It's graphically impressive, but level design suffers as you progress.

The first area is easily the best bit. It goes south after that apart from a couple of decent sections. Many of the shortcuts seem pointless.

I made it up to
    Spoiler:
    and just couldn't be arsed with the nonsense of running out of vials anymore. I just want to challenge the boss FFS. People that say they didn't run into this problem on their first playthrough are lying. It's unavoidable. It's a bullshit mechanic and the game would be better without it.

Done.
  • I think the game has the best lore alongside DkS1, don't forget that was indecipherable at first too. It probably helps that I'm a big Lovecraft fan.
  • The last third has a massive shift in tone, shame you won’t see it. I definitely had to grind for vials, the worst things about the game, but a few runs back from the witches warp point should see you through.
  • I had no idea what was going on first time through. But the plot is there and it is a masterpiece, it takes effort to understand it though.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Story/Plot/Lore is genuine genius mensa level. Admittedly i had to watch lots of long YouTube videos to understand it but hey :)
  • The plot is far too vague. I found it all aimless on the first run too, then read some stuff about it and got into it much more second time round. It's very good then, but I don't think it helps making it that obscure.

Dark Souls has all that hidden depth as well, but it also makes it clear what you're actually doing at any point. You have direction at least.
  • Personally loved bloodborne and had no issues with it apart from Rom. The stupid spider boss. Apart from that I thought it was great. Didn't do all the bosses in the chalice dungeons. Though I got through most.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Story/Plot/Lore is genuine genius mensa level. Admittedly i had to watch lots of long YouTube videos to understand it but hey :)

Me too.

@stonechalice: maybe have a break for a bit and come back, fatigue can really turn you off some really enjoyable experiences.
    Too much of a good thing and that.

The boss in spoiler were a badger for me too.
    I had quite a few sticking points but well worth it.
  • People that say they didn't run into this problem on their first playthrough are lying.

Not lying bro, believe. Not saying i found it easy, Rom in particular was very hard. My tactic was face a boss at least 5 sometimes 10 times before i consider using a blood vial. That way i learned a lot about the boss and get fairly close to winning before i started using blood vials. If it wasn't going well i let myself die and tried again then used blood vials when i felt i had a chance of winning.
  • That's a good way to play, but I don't have the patience for the run backs and retries these days. If the game is giving me the means to heal, then I'm gonna take advantage, especially on my virgin run. The no heal challenge stuff can come later, should the game tickle me enough for multiple runs.

I've beaten
    Spoiler:
    It's all about patience with him. The run back is a doddle too. He was not much of an issue if I'm honest. I'm just predicting I'll have to farm vials again for the next area and it's put me off wanting to explore the game. I'm also not getting that sense of achievement from beating bosses that I got from Dark Souls for some reason. It's like I've just beaten this boss, but I've no idea why, or what it has to do with the rest of the game. This is especially evident when you realise so many are just optional. The environment is packed with detail, but you never really pick up any shinies with much lore tied to them - it's mostly souls - sorry - blood of some sort, armour, or the odd weapon.

The combat is decent, but deeply flawed IMO. The whole regain system is designed around the fact that you will take unavoidable damage at regular intervals, and the best way to counter that is to spam attack as fast as you can to get some health back. That, to me, nullifies any kind of plan or tactic to an encounter, and boils it down to just get the first attack in as quick as possible, regardless of what it is, and don't let up until it's dead. The charged R2 also seems way overpowered for many of the enemies. It's fun, but it's perfectly possible to play Dark Souls in exactly the same way as you play this really. I don't see an extra layer to the combat anywhere in this game.

Item and inventory creep is also a thing in this, like all souls games. I haven't needed even half the consumables I've been picking up along the way. Some are useful, some are pointless. Some of the items I've collected are deliberately obscure, but the game hasn't intrigued me enough to find out what they are or what they do, therefore they've been ignored.

I've been trying this game on and off for well over a year now. I had a moment where I thought it finally had me, but it faded quickly. The Lovecraft themes aren't really to my taste, and it just plays so like a Souls game but not quite as fun for me. I can't imagine ever wanting to replay this, yet I think I could replay Dark Souls 1 forever.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm happy to agree to disagree. The world is a masterpiece, the lore (I actually bothered giving a shit about some in this) is wonderfully done, the combat is way more satisfying than Souls' circlestrafe fuckwittery. They've stripped out the Souls bloat (oh look another large weapon that has the exact same moveset as others, oh look armour I'll never even contemplate using), made it a more streamlined, more action orientated game in a world I could spend forever in. And, like Souls, 99% of all damage is avoidable.
  • Some fair points chalice, I get what you're saying. It was really hard to understand what the fuck is going on but once you do oh my god it's insanely clever. I prefer Dark Souls combat (without using shields, shields ruin Dark Souls) especially the huge varity of cool  looking weapons and armour. Also in general i also like the whole dragon knights etc stuff over lovecraftian. Having said all that, the world created in Bloodborne was just unbelievably real to me. 

I played it very cautiously and only used the saw cleaver thing you start with. Maybe that halped. Apparently the axe thing is a bit spin2win? Anyway fair play for keeping trying. I must admit i am much much more inclined to replay Dark Souls than Bloodborne. That reminds me, i haven't done Bloodborne DLC yet...
  • ....u absolutely should.

I approached the bosses in a similar way: I sort of
    danced with them (the ones that had killed me) a few times, before I felt comfortable enough with their movement to commit my vials..to the hunt
    for the good blood.

• I never farmed vials and I rarely if ever used the regain attack (too much of the DS turtle in me) and I made it through. Maybe I'm just better than I thought.

I hope you find the will to go back and play it Chalice. Or maybe just watch the EnB lore playthrough.
  • I'm happy to agree to disagree. The world is a masterpiece, the lore (I actually bothered giving a shit about some in this) is wonderfully done, the combat is way more satisfying than Souls' circlestrafe fuckwittery. They've stripped out the Souls bloat (oh look another large weapon that has the exact same moveset as others, oh look armour I'll never even contemplate using), made it a more streamlined, more action orientated game in a world I could spend forever in. And, like Souls, 99% of all damage is avoidable.

Snap. Bloodborne the best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I forgot, parry. Bloodborne forced me to learn to parry, there was no way of beating bosses without spamming blood vials if I didn't parry. Spamming dodge doesn't work like it does in Dark Souls. It's terrifying standing in front of a huge boss letting them swing at you and hoping you get the parry timing right, but it's fucking amazing when you get it. 

When i went back to Dark Souls after Bloodborne i enjoyed Dark Souls so much more because i didn't use a shield and i parried. There is a great YouTube vid with a theory about how that was a deliberate tactic by FROM.
  • I have no problem with the parry. It's one of the best mechanics in Souls games, and it's a huge reason why these games are so fun. I just don't see the gun parry as any different to the shield parry in DS games. The only thing you can't do in Bloodborne is turtle. Even in DKS1, turtling would rarely get you anywhere in PvE unless you were overpowered. It was more of a problem in PvP. For many of the bosses, a dodge would see you better.

There are many issues I have with Bloodborne, but the unavoidable grab moves that many of the bosses and enemies have are some of the most awful, and seem to be worse than the previous games. Same with the frenzy mechanic. It's just poor, and it's punishing in a pedantic, childish way.

I'm watching walkthroughs of this and I'm noticing that everyone bangs their vitality right up- there's a reason for this - they're expecting to get hit - a lot. I'd like to see a run with people not taking damage through Forbidden Woods for instance. No chance. It's just messy. You're gonna take damage.

I decided to have another crack at this, as people were saying the game and story really steps up after the boss I beat, so I went through
    Spoiler:

What a rollercoaster that wasn't. I'm failing to see how that is a fun section for anyone that enjoys videogames remotely. I was just retreading old ground for much of it, and the bell keepers dotted about that I had to kill to make enemies weaker made the level painful in the extreme, as enemies would respawn everywhere. The whole thing was shit, and went against everything I love about Souls games.

I'm fairly sure I wasn't under leveled, but there are enemies there that can end you pretty swiftly - to the point of not even being able to counter them at all. You just get stun locked to death or caught on the dodge roll away. If that's an advancement for combat in souls games, then I fear for the future of these types of games to be frank. Pretty shit.

This game was praised for its bosses. I'm yet to fight one that is truly memorable. Most are quite honestly the shittest pile of wanky limbs I've ever seen. I'm really disappointed. There are two so far worthy of note.

The game has quality, but many of the design decisions seem to be change for the sake of it rather than the good.
  • I bet I could get through Forbidden Woods without taking damage, not counting the boss.

But yeah, a lot of the bosses are too big.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watch a speedrun, you'll see multiple players not get hit. And tbf the majority of Souls bosses were utter dreck. O&S rightly praised at the time because its not one but two bosses. Even that looks dated as all fuck now.

Deep down, whilst it has similarities, its not a Souls game. There are barely any references whatsoever in the game to that series, or vice versa. I'm kinda loath to compare the two, but they will be due to some similarities (you can dodge, parry and use weapons. And you heal) and same devs.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh wait Patches is in it and Moonlight Greatsword as well. Still the second best game I've played this gen by far.
  • https://youtu.be/9VXUW495f1g

No hits in entire game.
    There is loads of vids on you tube of no hit runs.
  • In Bloodborne you have to go on the offensive? Best form of defense is offense etc. I dunno. You don't like it, that's cool, you tried.

• 30 mins starts to talk about combat
  • And tbf the majority of Souls bosses were utter dreck. O&S rightly praised at the time because its not one but two bosses. Even that looks dated as all fuck now.
    You've lost your mind.
  • DkS3 has great bosses though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I bet I could get through Forbidden Woods without taking damage, not counting the boss.

But yeah, a lot of the bosses are too big.

You could if you didn't engage with anything and just ran through it I suppose.

Those big snakes for instance. Fighting them up close is a shit fight because it's nigh on impossible to see where any attack might come from due all the wriggling snake heads. Same with those stupid skeleton carts in the Unseen Village.

They're messy and not fun to fight at all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!