Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK wrote:
    Maybe we should think about setting some ports of games against each other? The Disney platformers spring to mind - I believe they were quite different on SNES and MD. Maybe there are others to consider such as Alien, Castlevania , Streefighter, Aleste, Smash TV etc?  Don't have to be ports - just different entries in same series or licence.

Ports would be good, or 'same name different game' stuff.  Up for whatever you lot fancy really.
  • Turtles Tournament Fighters
    Robocop Vs Terminator
    Shadowrun
    Batman & Robin
    Alien 3
    Sparkster

This is fun.
  • The Terminator
    Ninja Gaiden (8-bit)
  • Batman Returns
    Jurassic Park
    Sunset Riders is pretty different
  • Tbh we've done a lot of them already.

If you can get past the crappy sketches the Consoles Wars channel on youtube is really good for that. Once they get into the actual comparing they're pretty good.

I prefer what we're doing myself, a 'if you like this, try this' as oppose to 'whats better'.

I'm not gonna get anything out of finding out The Lion King is better on MD or painstakingly arguing whats better out of same name different game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I suppose "what's better" has been done to death. Fair point.

However there may be the odd occasion where something pops up that will be worth a comparison - but I suppose that is left to whomever's turn it is.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Played the opening few screens of Monster World IV.  So far, so Wonderboy sequels, and very nice it is too.  It's bright and colourful, as they might've said on Bad Influence, giving the impression of a SNES game at a glance.  Sprites/animation are fairly simple for a game released in the year 32-bit arrived, but it has an appealing look overall, if not one that screams late-cycle release.  The music seems kinda throwback for the era too, which isn't a criticism, it's probably intentional - as I say, so far so Wonderboy.  I might try to finish this one, depending on length.  Solid.

Jetsons tonight.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My MD library is light - so I'd be interested in the Wonderboy games - I remember enjoying a Wonderboy arcade game.
  • I still think the Master System port of Wonderboy in Monsterland is the best game in the series, on most days I'd probably describe it as my favourite 8-bit game (played through it again last year).  Dragon's Trap is very good, this one feels promising so far.  I haven't played any of the other 16-bit efforts. 

• For those who want to try, MW4 and Yuu Yuu Hakusho have both been uploaded to the BnB Dropbox MD folder. Both are translated ROMs so you don't have to stumble through Japanese text.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Top work Hunk. I've got both downloaded and am aiming to give them a go on the train down and back up from Putney today.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Not a problem.
    I've also uploaded the previous installments of Wonderboy and monsterworld 2 and 3 in the ms ROMs section. If you like 4 you might enjoy those too.
  • Tbh we've done a lot of them already. If you can get past the crappy sketches the Consoles Wars channel on youtube is really good for that. Once they get into the actual comparing they're pretty good. I prefer what we're doing myself, a 'if you like this, try this' as oppose to 'whats better'. I'm not gonna get anything out of finding out The Lion King is better on MD or painstakingly arguing whats better out of same name different game.

Agreed.
    It's probably better to tackle games by genre, by ip  or by developer. If you like certain games someone can suggest other similar titles etc.
  • I always get confused by these Wonder Boy/Monster World games, but I guess I haven't played this one. Wonder Boy in Monster Land is a favourite for me too. I also had, I think, Wonder Boy 4 on the Wii VC and that was quite good. Except I played all the way to the last boss without much trouble and then had to give up because it was so difficult.

Good to see some Treasure chat as always. I realised when I was doing my top 100 that it had 5 Treasure games in it, which is a pretty amazing showing since I've probably not played more than 10 in total. Astro Boy is top 10 material for me - I love it, especially what it does after you first 'complete' it. Dynamite Headdy, Ikaruga, Sin & Punishment 2 and Mischief Makers were the others.
  • Interesting game YuuYuuHakuusho.
    Might be the first vs fighting game ever to feature a competent training mode.
    Four player vs simultaneous mayhem too. It looks and feels pretty much like a precursor to Guardian Heroes on the Saturn. Scrap that, it is the de facto precursor to Guardian Heroes.

There's even the foreground background plane switching implemented with subtle sprite scaling.
    Controls are simple p,k,b and if you have a 6 button controller there's also dedicated shortcuts to f/b dash and plane switching. Qcf moves are in there as well as aerial specials and double jumps and I suspect supers. Looks and feels solid but more hands on time is needed to assess the depth of the fighting engine.

As for Wonderboy/MW games, the ip started out as a relatively simple platformer but gradually evolved into a zelda/metroid-like affair by incorporating adventure/rpg like elements and level design. Westone is the original dev and Sega the original publisher but due to licensing issues the ip also reached other platforms under the name adventure island.
    Wonderboy/Monsterworld games are relatively simple affairs and have a cute design aestethic. They remind me a bit of Nintendo Kirby games. Good for young'uns to ease into gaming but complex enough to enjoy even for older gamers.
  • I had the original Wonderboy on my C64, it was copied with about 6 other games (Barbarian, Rampage and Peter Beardsleys Soccer) onto a 90 minute tape, The thing is I had to guess where to load it from, so about 90% of the time it just didn't work. When it did it was beautiful though, huge chunky colourful sprites and a skateboard, I loved that skateboard.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wonderboy in the arcade was a MAME mainstay for me for ages......must check it out again.

I remember playing it in a cabinet in a bar too.
  • Played the first level of The Jetsons.  It's a lot better than it looks from videos (it looks like it plays badly, y'know?), I wasn't expecting much tbh but the vacuum gun is pretty good.  Even the boss was decent.  Visuals are an odd mix of nice sprites and lazy-ish environs.  I quite like it so far, but defeated enemies reappearing even if you just scroll the screen up an inch could get irritating.
  • I didn't go back to Monster World for some reason, but I did play another level of The Jetsons, which is actually pretty good.  Not top tier, but solid 83% rent-it stuff.  Miles better than that silly old Plok! game everyone seems to love.  Didn't play enough of MW really, but it felt like it could maybe be a bit special, the basics were there.  

What's the plan now?
  • That's how I felt about Jetsons. Well worth playing and I imagined many wouldn't have before. Some really good ideas even I'd execution is somewhat fumbled.
    Did you beat the gorilla on the seesaw?
  • I got stuck on the first level of The Jetsons.

My rom wouldn't work for MW.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Did you beat the gorilla on the seesaw?

Yeah, that was the point where I realised it's got something more than the standard tie-in platform fodder.  

The Jetsons though, what an absolutely terrible programme.  I haven't seen it for 25-odd years, so maybe I'm way off, but I don't care for a revisit to prove myself wrong.
  • It's no Scooby Doo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So who's up next on this?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Up for suggestions really.  Happy to continue the Sega/Nintendo same genre thing, but also fine with whatever.
  • Who's go would it be to pick?

There's six of us right?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Looking back over the last few pages it looks like Davy, Nick if he's in, and the elusive Questor haven't picked.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What's on the agenda then? Pick a genre?
  • I pick Bucky O'Hare on the nes
  • You've all probably played it before, but I genuinely play or watch a long play of it every couple of months. It was made by the guys who left Konami to form treasure, I think

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!