Just given up on...
  • PC, but I believe it's also on ps4. 

Mainly getting stuck on invisible walls. It has a lot of invisible walls, because it's old school in it's camera and layout set up. And when I stuck, and when I say invisible walls, I mean getting stuck on the gap between a lift and the ground just before the lift became active. 

A couple of others where the scenery just disappeared and character got stuck again.

Save set up means back to the start of chapter.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Pity. I rather enjoyed it on PS4. It was one of those games that you know is a 6/10 at best, but fall in love with anyway. I spent a ridiculous number of hours making sure I covered every single story permutation, and several more making this video:

• Nice. Yeah, I was quite enjoying it, without being blown away. Without glitches, it was fine to bash through, and had charm. But third time starting a section and I couldn't do it.
  • Probably wasn’t going to be for you even without the glitches, then. It involved playing through the same sections multiple times.
  • Oh, I was ok with that, it was knowing that, but having to do it without the truth pay-off and different routes that was annoying me.
  • Close to giving up on Arkham Knight. feeling like a batmobile babysitter so far i.e. make some progress, open the way for the car to follow, interspersed with occasional (ironic) omgs, 'it can do those things!.. Wow car, biscuit?'. 

I do like how the new suit (can) speed up combat and that's still fun but the car bits and across the board mediocre characterisation + dialogue are testing my bat-patience to their bat-limits.
  • Arkham Knight was the weakest of trilogy. the batmobile parts are just plain boring and annoying. I got to the end, but it wasnt fun by then, just wanted it completed.
  • Yeah first two were class. Hoping Rocksteady bounces back on their <?> next project.
  • I didn't mind the car or tank sections, it was the floaty combat that felt weaker. Distinct lack of bosses took the shine off too, plus an underused utility belt that made it feel even further removed from Asylum.
  • Re: combat.. I like striking from the shadows. Then, when just a few goons remain chain multiple (new to this game I think) fear-takedowns to end it. I'm batman.

Fighting a large bunch of enemies directly in that near-automated floaty bat-dancey fashion does get unfun fairly quickly alright.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Owlboy. It's been covered already but it's pretty boring. Looks great, especially the pirates, and I thought for a brief time the switching of companion for specific scenarios would add something but it seems wasted.

The pitch black level was the last straw for me. On to the next game in pile of shame.
  • Off the list it goes, that's enough black marks against it on here.  It's not like there's a dearth of similar titles around at the moment.
  • It's twit-a-poo.
  • Mad Max. I think i am relatively near the end (discovered all the areas/strongholds.) It's been enjoyable but it's a chore now and i do not do chore video games.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Resident Evil VII. I've completed it before, but the second play through may have to be abandoned. I've seen behind the curtain, the genie is out of the bottle, I can see the Matrix, etc. What felt natural and free-form is revealed to be an incredibly scripted experience.

Resi 1 - 5* were equally mechanical, but I played through each of those at least twice. I think the irony is 7 hid it more subtly, so now it's more of a disappointment to see the puppet strings.

*No 6, because I didn't finish it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I've given up on the idea of playing RE7 after getting freaked out by both the Stranger Things promo and the Raw Data demo. Happy, fluffy VR for me from now on (and Skyrim, may have been a bad idea).
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Jotun can fuck off. Some of the boss battles are engaging but the rest of it is total shite. Awful combat and ponderous pace. Cutting my losses and moving on.
  • Dark Chronicle:

There's a decent JRPG (absolutely fucking) entombed under all the obfuscation.. yet this mofo simply does not have the time to wade through the 'cool on paper' but idiosyncratic and vexing systems that get in the way of me enjoying the good bits of this.

Might have engaged with it more back in the day (when I had more free time) but I'd like to think I had better taste even then.
  • indigoDos wrote:
    Dark Chronicle:

There's a decent JRPG (absolutely fucking) entombed under all the obfuscation.. yet this mofo simply does not have the time to wade through the 'cool on paper' but idiosyncratic and vexing systems that get in the way of me enjoying the good bits of this.

Might have engaged with it more back in the day (when I had more free time) but I'd like to think I had better taste even then.

Stone cold classic that game.
  • digi wrote:
    indigoDos wrote:
    Dark Chronicle:
    There's a decent JRPG (absolutely fucking) entombed under all the obfuscation.. yet this mofo simply does not have the time to wade through the 'cool on paper' but idiosyncratic and vexing systems that get in the way of me enjoying the good bits of this. Might have engaged with it more back in the day (when I had more free time) but I'd like to think I had better taste even then.
    Stone cold classic that game.[/quote

It really, really isn't, not in any area you can mention.

Play it again davie, those nostalgia scales will fall from your eyes so quickly.
  • Got an Edge [6] or summat, I think. First game supposed to be better. (I enjoyed what I had played of the original.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Couple of just given up ons for me:

Alien Isolation: great atmosphere, love the aesthetic, hated the insta-deaths and lack of checkpointing. These things might have bothered me less were it not a stealth game, but slowly sneaking forward for 10 or 15 minutes only to die and have to slowly cover that ground again is not my idea of fun.

Titanfall 2: machine gun/assault rifle variants are my least favourite weapons in most games, and this was no exception. Sadly, there weren’t many other options available most of the time. Should have guessed as much due to the CoD link.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Couple of just given up ons for me: Alien Isolation: great atmosphere, love the aesthetic, hated the insta-deaths and lack of checkpointing. These things might have bothered me less were it not a stealth game, but slowly sneaking forward for 10 or 15 minutes only to die and have to slowly cover that ground again is not my idea of fun.

I'd assumed this was the case, and I know I'll hate it, but I also know I'll still buy it at some point if I see it cheap enough on disc.  It's also quite long apparently, which is another black mark - 8hrs for this sort of thing please, not 18.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Couple of just given up ons for me:

Titanfall 2: machine gun/assault rifle variants are my least favourite weapons in most games, and this was no exception. Sadly, there weren’t many other options available most of the time. Should have guessed as much due to the CoD link.

How far through the campaign did you get? It's not very long but is a fantastic campaign imo. Some really interesting ideas and executed well.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    About halfway from the looks of things.
  • If you haven't already, I'd say at least do the factory and 'time travel' levels, which are around the middle of the game.
  • I'm sure I remember having a shotgun and sniper rifle in my inventory most of the time with that...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    If you haven't already, I'd say at least do the factory and 'time travel' levels, which are around the middle of the game.

I was on the factory when I gave up.
    AJ wrote:
    I'm sure I remember having a shotgun and sniper rifle in my inventory most of the time with that...
    I’ve always had a shotty, snipers are a bit more hit and miss.
  • Couldn't you have just used that, rather than an adult rifle, then?

(Autocorrect stays)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t really love shottys either, TBH. My favourite thing in FPS games is a perfectly timed headshot. Hand cannons, DMRs, perhaps three shot battle rifles are my go to weapons. Ideally I’ll have a pistol for close range headshotting, some sort of single or three shot rifle for mid-range headshotting, and will switch one or two of those out for sniper/shotty/heavy as and when the situation demands in. In Titanfall 2, mid range is practically all about the AR.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!