The B&B Book Review
  • Did I give my review of 7 deaths of Evelyn?
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Did I give my review of 7 deaths of Evelyn?
    Stopharage wrote:
    Recently finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Best to go into it knowing as little as possible. It's probably the most original bit of writing I've seen in years. It's extremely disorientating and for much of the first half of the book you'll be utterly flummoxed by what on earth is going on. It's a (possible) murder-mystery set in a Cluedo-esque setting with a wide cast of characters, most of whom are deeply unlikeable. There is also a consistently shifting narrative and the whole thing has a touch of Sexy Brutale. Recommended.
    Agreed on all of this. It’s fantastic, properly original. Mentioned this past time; my 9 year old girl is called Evie Hardcastle so that got me to pick it off the shelf in the first place.
    Roujin wrote:
    Man's too cool for the forum these days
    Truth is stranger than fiction. Err everybody go get Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle though please. It's damn good. In fact just read everything Raven Books puts out if you like a little darkness and suspense.
    acemuzzy wrote:
    My recent reading: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.  Interesting read, does lots of good stuff, wasn't quite as stunning as I'd hoped, but still definitely recommended.

Nope.
  • The Girl with all the Gifts by M R Carey

A pen name for some guy who writes comics apparently

A very original take on the apocalypse... fast moving and interesting with good characters and gripping action scenes it’s very good
    The Forum Herald™
  • That book seriously shits the bed about 75% of the way through. As does the sequel.
  • I didn’t know there was a sequel?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yup.

It’s called “The Girl with all the Gift Receipts”.

It’s a very well regarded follow up that carries on directly from the events of the first book where we follow the girl around every single fucking shop in town to see how easy it is for a busy, important, genetically modified young lady to return unwanted gifts directly after her birthday where - as readers of the first book will know - she was lucky enough to get all the gifts.  There’s a really great bit set in Boots where she can’t find the gift receipt and security is called over and, well I’ll leave this bit as a sur-rise for you.
  • Hah
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bob wrote:
    I didn’t know there was a sequel?
    Stopharage wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Anyone read A Boy on the Bridge? The girl with All the Gifts writer, set in the same world, cheap today oon kindle...
    So I bought this when it was cheap, even though I thought The Girl with the Gifts started off well and then really tapered off to some sort of dietAnnihilation-esque faunahorror. Well, this is more of the same of the weaker aspects of the previous books. The story is fairly dull, the characters are ridiculously one-dimensional and almost offensive in their stereotyping. Asperger’s guy, throw some identikit foibles at him, treacherous science guy is treacherous and exceedingly dull and so on. Lots of it makes no sense and it’s very formulaic. It’s an easy yet fairly dumb and meandering ride. But, very little really happens. Worse than it’s predecessor and has some very obvious attempts at setting up sequels that are unnecessary.
  • Ah well to be fair it didn’t need a sequel I guess ..
    The Forum Herald™
  • My Hap & Leonard collection arrived yesterday.  Here I go.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ordered Dril's book because why not we are all heading into the void anyway
  • JP Delaney - The Girl Before

Firstly why is ever author just initials now? Secondly I’m assuming that title is a deliberate attempt to hook readers of The Girl on The Train.

It’s a reasonably interesting holiday thriller part 50 shades and did a reasonable job of hooking me along until the big reveal but nothing memorable

Probably hold out for the inevitable film
    Version
    The Forum Herald™
  • Neil Gaiman - Norse Mythology

An entertaining read.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm afraid I have academic study to do

y0rakPY.jpg
  • Robert Webb’s autobiography How not to be a boy completes my five book holiday extravaganza in fine form.

The back of the Book says you laugh and cry and you probably will
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm afraid I have academic study to do y0rakPY.jpg

I backed da sharez0ne's card game.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wolf Hall is bangin but now it's done.

I read The Little Prince for the first time and that's also pretty poignant even if you're a thicko grown up.

I have started Evey Hardcastle Dies Several Times so my review will be added to the pile.
  • Finished three body problem.
  • I finished that recently and really enjoyed, despite the fairly hardcore physics that cropped up at points. Going to read the follow-up once I've finished rereading The Fifth Season, in advance of reading the two sequels to that.
  • The physics stuff was rudimentary and felt like a thin concept repititiously flogged. The story had a few glaring holes and an inconsistent "enemy". The setting was nice and evocative, drawing various parallels between two cultures. Ending was a damp squib.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    I finished that recently and really enjoyed, despite the fairly hardcore physics that cropped up at points. Going to read the follow-up once I've finished rereading The Fifth Season, in advance of reading the two sequels to that.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on The Fifth Season. That one’s on my list.
    Get schwifty.
  • So after a fairly long time, I have come to the end of Oathbringer, book three of the stormlight archive. This is epic in every sense, 1227 pages, huge stakes at play, an incredibly detailed world and a story that ebbs and flows wonderfully before culminating in one the most ridiculously exciting and thrilling finale I think I have ever read.

Despite being a huge book, it focuses mainly on a handful of characters that are all brilliant. But especially the ‘main focus’ of this book, Dalinar Kholin. He is easily my favourite character in the series, wonderfully noble yet almost utterly broken by his past. You cannot help but root for him.

This being Sanderson though, the world building is simply outstanding. The magic system is complex yet brilliant and allows for some insanely cool action. The history of the world is detailed and also highly interesting, the more you find out the more it affects the story in interesting and shocking ways.

This is book 3 of a supposedly 10 book series and each one has been an absolute treat. It has the potential and the quality to rival the Malazan series if he keeps up the high standard set here.

Thoroughly, thoroughly recommend.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I've still not tried Sanderson.
  • I've still not tried Sanderson.

The only other Sanderson I have read is the first Mistborn book. He is a very easy read and has a cracking imagination.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've got the first of each of them two series in my Kindle. May try next, currently on Children in Time (which is pretty good, but not for DJR)
  • Stopharage wrote:
    I've read Lost Girl by him, which I enjoyed. Fairly unrelenting throughout. A friend has read The Ritual and he thought Lost Girl was far better. Set in a future Britain where criminal gangs operate freely in some towns and cities, there has been an explosion in number of refugees and the gulf between rich and poor is further increased. A father goes in search of his daughter.  I've just finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Was another enjoyable read and had a nice vein of humour running throughout. It's a relatively short and easy read although I thought the preface was the best section of the novel.  Now onto The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, which I can safely say is the first time I've read Chinese sci-fi.
    Cheers, Lost Girl was the one that looked the most intriguing when looking through his bibliography. Will give that a go first. How is the Three Body Problem? Got that and the sequel on Kindle Daily Deals so was planning on reading them next.

@aaroncupboard - The third of the Cixin Liu's trilogy is the Kindle Deal of the Day at 99p. Think it's the first time it's seen a price drop.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:
    I finished that recently and really enjoyed, despite the fairly hardcore physics that cropped up at points. Going to read the follow-up once I've finished rereading The Fifth Season, in advance of reading the two sequels to that.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on The Fifth Season. That one’s on my list.

All 3 of the books in the Stone Sky trilogy are superb - one of my favourite recent reads.

Been traveling through the last 150 posts picking up recommendations- man, I’ve a lot to get through.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:
    I've read Lost Girl by him, which I enjoyed. Fairly unrelenting throughout. A friend has read The Ritual and he thought Lost Girl was far better. Set in a future Britain where criminal gangs operate freely in some towns and cities, there has been an explosion in number of refugees and the gulf between rich and poor is further increased. A father goes in search of his daughter.  I've just finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Was another enjoyable read and had a nice vein of humour running throughout. It's a relatively short and easy read although I thought the preface was the best section of the novel.  Now onto The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, which I can safely say is the first time I've read Chinese sci-fi.
    Cheers, Lost Girl was the one that looked the most intriguing when looking through his bibliography. Will give that a go first. How is the Three Body Problem? Got that and the sequel on Kindle Daily Deals so was planning on reading them next.

@aaroncupboard - The third of the Cixin Liu's trilogy is the Kindle Deal of the Day at 99p. Think it's the first time it's seen a price drop.

Cheers for the heads up! Will have the whole trilogy ready to go then!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!