The No Subject Thread
  • monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Yeah I genuinely think it’s going to be hell on Earth or utopia in 30-40 years. The current system can’t chug along much longer.

I think you'll be surprised how long people can keep it wobbling along. I'd probably give it at least a century more. It'll be slowly getting worse the whole time, of course.

Nah, climate catastrophe will hit in far less time than that.
    Plus increased automation through AI and robotics, displacement and destruction of jobs through the internet, increased virtualisation of money, collapse of the Western political system. This is all happening now and it’s speeding up.

I don’t underestimate people’s ability to keep on buggering on but I don’t think that’s going to be an option.

Can money get any more virtualised?
  • Have you heard of Roujcoin?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most places still accept cash. Not all, but the majority.
  • Cash is king when buying used cars

We don’t accept bit coin
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Most places still accept cash. Not all, but the majority.

Cash is a physical token representing virtual money. It's not related to or backed up by anything real.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean by virtual money, money? Do you actually mean money that isn't government sanctioned? If so, what'd that got to do with things?
  • He means money that isnt a physical thing you can hold.

A pound coin isnt linked to the gold standard, but i can throw it at your head.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If a place doesn't accept cash they can get fucked. I still prefer carrying cash and having something in my hand than a strip of plastic or a Swiss army cuntphone
  • "AJ wrote:

Can money get any more virtualised?

Maybe ‘virtualisation’ isn’t the right word and it’s not just about money.

The less control nation states have over their own currency and how money in their economy is spent, the less they can generate faith that there’s any point of working towards getting it.

But this is more about distribution (instead of technology) as disproportionate control over the mechanisms that influence things like the value of money are increasingly influenced by wealthy scoundrels.
  • Essentially, why should I bother trying to get that promotion if any extra buying power it gives me can disappear in an instant because some algorithm has decided to do a mass sell-off of Sterling.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If a place doesn't accept cash they can get fucked. I still prefer carrying cash and having something in my hand than a strip of plastic or a Swiss army cuntphone

I can see why some places don’t bother. Working in retail money was a pain in the arse, plus it’s a security risk, plus it costs money to take money (secure collections, getting change, extra time to cash up), all for a fraction of your daily takings.

If I were opening a retail business today, I wouldn’t take cash.
  • I may not have have enough grasp of money matters to say anything more, so I'm going to.

For what it's worth, I try not to use cash because I hate coins jangling about in my pocket.
  • I like the jangling, but I agree with Yoss.

Everything to do with physical money in a shop is an absolute ballache.
  • There is so much that is structurally unjust or unfair about this life and nobody ever seems to acknowledge it.

I’d argue that the current shit-show that is British and American (and others) politics is a culmination of years of people acknowledging how shit life is. They may not be an appropriate response, but that’s another matter.

What’s actually going to happen to people like us when we’re old? Through no fault of our own we’ll have no savings, no pension, no home, no capital, no cheap rental contract etc etc.

This is going to sound harsh, but through no fault of your own? These things are of some concern to me, but not that much. What’s the difference?

AJ wrote:
    The solution.
    Use the flowering social media scene and swelling discontent to take over the country, continent or world with a manifesto which is actually a thinly disguised belief system based on the betterment of everyone and treating people better on the whole. Or something to that extent. Like I said, probably too late now.

No offence, AJ, but I’ve heard better considered solutions at 3am from someone whose been taking cannabis and magic mushrooms all night.
  • Swiss army cuntphone

Stealing that.

On a moped, probably.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

If I were opening a retail business today, I wouldn’t take cash.

I hope it fails and you end up bankrupt and you end up begging for coin to fund your Costa habit

AND THEN CANT FUCKING BUY ONE COS OF THE FUTURE YOU YES YOU WANTED
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do feel bad for beggars, TBF.
  • Andy wrote:
    No offence, AJ, but I’ve heard better considered solutions at 3am from someone whose been taking cannabis and magic mushrooms all night.

You can't say much from the little outline I gave, it's obviously more complicated than a couple of lines is going to show. I mean, I never worked out a lot of details because I didn't give enough of a shit to press on with it, and there's every chance it wouldn't have worked, but the stuff the basic plan relied on for traction (this was around the turn of the century) has since lined up.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I do feel bad for beggars, TBF.

I've always wondered if a charity allowing beggars to take credit/debit cards would work.
  • Bob wrote:
    Yeah it made me glad not to be from there it’s almost post apocalyptic compared to the Isle of Man.

I did enjoy Edinburgh though

tenor.gif
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Glasgow got some nice bits imo. Got the tenements, got the Macintosh school of art, well before it caught fire again. S'alright imo and that.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Lots of burnt out petrol stations
    The Forum Herald™
  • They started early on getting rid of their fossil fuel vehicles, gotcha. I can see why you didn't enjoy it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Yeah it made me glad not to be from there it’s almost post apocalyptic compared to the Isle of Man.

I did enjoy Edinburgh though

Glasgow's great, Tempy, g.man and gav (amongst others) are there for a start, which makes it one of my favourite cities.

It's all about the company you keep.

• I went with my best mate so no dice
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is a troll, Glasgow is well known as one of the most friendly and approachable cities in the world. I'm happy to post the metrics
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unless bobs mate is a shettleston heroin addict who needs to hit eaterhouse to get his fix, he's at it
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I went with my best mate so no dice

Does your mate know Glasgow?
  • The drive into Glasgow is miserable, but allegedly it also has more green spaces per person than any European city.
  • Bob wrote:
    I went with my best mate so no dice

Does your mate know Glasgow?
    Yeah his mum owned an appartment there.

It’s jsut my experience though yours may differ and that’s ok
    The Forum Herald™
  • Guess what? Every city has good bits and bad bits.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!