The Car thread
  • It's the tire still fully inflated?

If it is you can probably get away with it just don't go driving down any country roads.

Or if you have the spare put it on and then job done until you take it to the garage.

Edit: don't take it on the motorway either chief.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Depends on how much you've had to drink.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I need to go on the motorway. Car is driving fine, not pulling in any direction, only thing that's weird is the handbrake being much tighter now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I guess I should put the spare on.
  • The pulling isn't the issue, the tire will swell on the motorway as it will heat up a d if the seal at the bent rim is weak the tire might deflate rather quickly, which isn't much fun at 60mph+

No idea why it tensioner the handbrake cable though. Every cos had a silver lining I guess.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok, I'll change it so.
  • Don’t drive with that wheel on mate. Could blow-out with no warning.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Went to the ford garage, they said the tyre is ok, not a worry. The damage to the other parts is about 600 quid though.
  • So........

Never heard back about the McLaren job. Ah well.

In other car related news: I currently drive a 2013 Volvo V40 r design. Lovely car. But, it was financed in my exes name. She passed her test recently, so was keen to get rid of it and get herself a car. Which I can understand, she's been reliant on me or other people to run her and Cullen about. Managed to secure finance for myself recently, so went and dealt on a new car today. 2012 BMW 318d touring in exclusive trim, in Monaco blue. 96k on the clock, but full BMW service history. Was able to get almost break even on the Volvo, so I'm chuffed with the deal.

Only major niggle is that it'll do phonecalls over Bluetooth, but not play music, I'll need to put it through the aux in. Bit of a bugger, but worth it - I'm saving about £100 a month by changing. And I know, I know, it makes me a bmwanker. But fuckit, I've had 2 beemers in the past, always loved them, so I'm just happy to be getting one again. And of course, that's another tie to the ex severed.

Insurance is all sorted, finance is all settled, picking it up Monday morning, can't wait!
  • Nice! Good motor that. Surprised the bluetooth won't do audio, but I guess five years is a long time in tech terms.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Looking forward to learning in it.. *eeeek*
  • If the Bluetooth covers phone calls it must do audio too. Weird if you genuinely can't. I have a 61 plate Nissan and it can stream music. A 12 BMW should definitely do more.
  • My 54 plate BMW will only do phonecalls through bluetooth.
  • That's mid-2004, not 2012.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Probably an added (with no justification) extra.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    That's mid-2004, not 2012.

Yeah was just saying it's possible.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    If the Bluetooth covers phone calls it must do audio too. Weird if you genuinely can't. I have a 61 plate Nissan and it can stream music. A 12 BMW should definitely do more.

Used to drive a seat leon that'd do calls but not audio. Brief skimming of some forums suggest that bmw didn't include the comm box until the facelift which happened in late 2012 with the mk6 facelift, this is a late mk5 model. It's no biggy, there's a usb I can plug my old ipod into, or just use the aux port. Just means i wouldn't be able to operate the phone with steering wheel controls. But in losing Bluetooth audio, I'm gaining things i missed in the Volvo: a more powerful engine; cruise control; reversing sensors; heated seats and a cavernous boot. A trade off I'm willing to accept.
  • I wouldn't call is a deal-breaker, if the car works for you. I'm just genuinely surprised is all.
  • You can actually fit Bluetooth after market kits that don’t stream music - if the advert says Bluetooth phone prep it probably means it only does calls - it’s by no means a given that Bluetooth will steam music
    The Forum Herald™
  • Had to change our car as Mrs J's mobility isn't as good as it was and she was struggling with how low the Mazda 3 was. So we've done the unthinkable (for a petrolhead) and gone the soft-roader route.

We traded in for a new Mazda CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav +. Well we've had our new motor for just over a week now and I can honestly say it was a brilliant trade. No, it doesn't ride as sportily as the '3', but on Cumbrian roads it's pretty much as quick (same 2.0 petrol engine and same gearbox as the '3'), handles surprisingly well considering the CoG is a good 15-20cm higher, and gives some much needed visibility over hedgerows etc. Not to mention the fact that Mrs J has no issues with ingress/egress now.

Honestly cannot recommend the car highly enough – comes stupidly well kitted out (honestly, has every single damn thing you could ever want). Might be a bit small if you have 2+ kids, but for a couple or a couple with one kid, it's perfect. Highly recommended little thing.

If you need something bigger, you should definitely check out the CX-5 – it's a truly handsome machine and plenty big enough for the average family. It was just a bit more than we needed, which is why we stuck with the CX-3.

Oh, and if you buy a new Mazda, makes sure you avoid the Soul Red pearlescent paint. We had it on the '3' and it looks fabulous, but is soft and thin, so chips and scuffs so easily it's ridiculous. I had to do a full machine polish on ours before we took it back to trade in.
  • Aye, nice motors those. Considered one myself earlier this year when I was changing cars.
  • My wife ordered herself a car about a month or so ago and today the manufacturer sent her a proper fancy leather box with loads of tat inside but a really cool hardback book that has followed her actual car through it’s manufacturing process. There’s pictures and close ups that start at the very beginning of the chassis construction and at the moment it’s having its seats stitched by the finest hymalian seat stitchers or something. I know this is probably horrible bourgeois shite to most on here but I quite likes the book. Kinda like a baby’s first photo album but for - y’know - a car.
  • That’s awesome.
  • That's cool.
    I take it she hasn't bought a Dacia.
  • Very nice. You're smaller than I remember.
  • Next years Secret Santa, sorted.

46U6YxD.jpg

Choice use of model there.
  • It was a Mazda 3 you recently replaced, right Jim?
  • Yes. Cracking little car, just too low for Mrs J to manage.
  • Guess what I'll be picking up tomorrow?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!